Thread: Engine miss?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Engine miss?

I have a 97 tj 4.0 engine misses and throwing a #2 cylinder missfire, random miss fire and crank position code. Anyone ever have a miss fire from the cps being bad . I swapped injectors and the miss fire stayed with #2 .I have good plugs wires and cap rotor.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    yes a bad cps will cause a mis fire. happened on my project i'm parting out
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Thanks was doin some research and goin to buy 1 tomorrow just thought they normally quit instead of missing just wanted someother opinions or experiences.

also, if you look on amazon you can get them around 20 bucks....

i paid 25 for one for my tj...instead of 60 from advance
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Well wasn't the cps back to the drawing board.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Ok I have a collapsed lifter. I found another motor for free but goin to rebuild this one I might stroke thus one and if not has anyone ever put a different cam in. Looking for some more horse power and for some suggestions please. Also might be looking for a crank if I do the stroker.

I put a custom grind from comp cams in my zj. Also a few other upgrades but the cam made a crazy difference the only down fall is I think I need a tuner now to adjust the timing .... had to cut an ear off the distributor hold down to get it to run right....

A friend of mine has a 4.2 he would part with if you want a stroker
    Saved by Grace

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation. – James Madison

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I was reading the a adjustable fuel regulator might be needed with a different cam you might what to read up on that. And as for the stroker still not sure if I want to put the money into one yet read tomany people don't think they are worth it. Pm me a price though after this motor I am goin to build another for my big jeep and might stroke that one.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    i decided to fix the lifter just changed it today .3hours done it runs yea . man im tired of working on this thing .still goin to rebuild a motor later low oil pressure and a main seal leak but it runs .

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    This thing really don't like me. Drove to Lowes today and started poppin and stalls at idle. If I run above 3000 rpm it runs decent but not great leave off the throttle and it stalls, under 3000 and it misses and pops or backfires not sure which when I restart it I have to hold the throttle 3/4 open to get it to fire up. Did some research I have no codes and they are sayin maybe the water temp sensor. My question is before I buy one has anyone ever have this happen to them?

could be a TPS or MAP sensor also.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Will they throw codes?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    This tj is pissin me off I changed the iac yesterday and didn't help been reading it might be the coolant temp sensor. As soon as I hit the throttle it misses worse and backfires. Anyone have any ideas im startin to go crazy

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Wasn't the temp sensor. Its reading fine. Goin to Ck the map and throttle. Position sensor next

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Found my problem I broke valve spring .I hope to fix it today but this thing just don't like me.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Fixed runs good so far. Atleast fir 2 days that is all I get

Thread Information