Thread: Went to start "wife beater" and got nothing. Input welcome

Trail Leader

Went to start "wife beater" and got nothing. Input welcome

Ok guys.
    Tossed in a battery, changed the oil and fuel lines on the Mj last saturday. Turned the key and got nothing. Where do I start looking?!? What am I looking for?!? First thoughts were grounds. Wishful thinking is hoping for a big circut breaker that needs reset. lol

I am not affraid of axles, suspension or replacing a tranny. But under the hood. I am good for oil change and check the air filter. So any ideas would be great.

For those who don't know.
    88 mj with 99xj 4.0
    Mj- on jack stands

Less posting, more wheeling!
    make sure you got spark first, then check for fuel supply. oh man theres alot of things to go over.

Trail Leader
    andy, if ya need a hand, give me a ring this weekend.. well get her fired up
    I am looking forward to regretting this

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    as was said above, check for spark first (did you put the engine in or buy it like that?)

if no spark, check your ignition switch, then your coil, then your distributor, plugs, and wires....also a CPS will cause it to not fire.

as for fuel, check your pump, then injectors, then start looking into sensors (map sensor can cause it to not run or run rough) throttle position sensor and IAC all can be a factor....you need any parts or help, let me know...i am parting the white xj you know....
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

When he says nothing, he means nothing. no dash lights, the fuel pump is not kicking on, the starter is not spinning or even trying. We took a test light to the fuse panel both under the hood and under the dash and it's getting power there. all the fuses are good.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

weird...

how about all the relays?
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    as was said above, check for spark first (did you put the engine in or buy it like that?)
    It was M'F Steve's project MJ
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

also check the plugs under the dash, on my 98 there is a big plug for the main harness...it has a bolt in it...when i re did the heater core i plugged it in but i didnt tighten the bolt down....the didnt run, and certain things didnt work...check every single plug to make sure its tight

Trail Leader
    Ya its steve's old project. I talked to dave to re-confirm that the motor had infact run in the mj. It did run. I will go back thru and check everything. Brent is right we litterally are getting nothing. Would be right to assume That atleast the dash would work if it was a sensor or coil? How do you cheeck a relay?
    Mj- on jack stands

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    If a relay is getting power, it should click if i'm not mistaken...too bad this isn't something different, I hate/suck at electrical troubleshooting...
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Regular
    Don't take this wrong but,Sure the Bat. good? I always think what was the last thing I did. The pos cable on my XJs goes to the power center- there is a cable bolt on under a plastic cap that is known to cause trouble
    Don't Believe Everything You See On The Internet.......Abraham Lincoln

Proud Heritage Region Jeep Alliance Member

95 XJ 5 spd, 3" coil 1 1/2 spacer- S 10 rear leafs,
    Warn front winch bumper,
    Magnum 9K winch,
    D 44 track lock, Rock sliders

80 CJ 7 (a lot)

81 CJ 7 resurected Twice

06 Rubicon unlimited
    3" lift & 33s
    8274 winch

^true! good point!

battery is good, freshly charged and it's not that old.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    may sound weird, can you have someone check under the hood at night when you hold the key to START for a few seconds?? check to see if you see any ground wires turning red, or if you see or hear any zaps... if it ran before you did the oil, its possible the while you were underneath you messed up a wire runnin to the starter, and up top while dion the filter, maybe knock the plug loose that goes inside?? idk, just thinkin out loud...

Good Luck
    99 WJ 4.7, 545RFE, 247 - BB on 30s
    95 ZJ 5.2, 46RH, 249 - BB on 32" BFG MT
    02 WJ 4.7HO, 545RFE, 247 - stock but breaks the tires loose on the 1-2 shift

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    I remember saying he had it running. So it did live at one point.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Noob!
    Start at the battery check the voltage. from there fallow the wires down to the starter, check the voltage there as well as the grounds. ground your DVOM on the body as well make sure the power is flowing. theres a fuseable link that goes bad there, and it will cut the power to everything. If thats not it, move on from there fallowing the wires to teh fuse block and so on.

Trail Leader
    Dvom? Anything could have been knocked around. I replaced the floors, Button up the new crossmember and had the front suspension in and out 3 or 4 times. I will run back thru all the connections tomorrow and see where the power flow stops.

side note. what a role reversal. Now know as beater wife. If she doesn't hear it run soon I am dead. lol
    Mj- on jack stands

PM me your email and I will send you the starting system schematics from Alldata.

Also, check that all the fuses are in place, not just check the fuses that are there. People borrow fuses an relays from projects that hang around.

Under hood: fuse 19, 10 and make sure the ASD relay is there.

Under dash fuse 16

If you don't get it soon I will come up with the laptop/tools after work one day. I would like to see this thing on the road.
    Last edited by DMG; 03-26-2011 at 10:13 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Cps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It really is sad that stupidity isn't as painful for the stupid as it is for those forced to witness it!"

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cityslicker View Post
    Cps.
    ....would do nothing for a no-crank situation. LOL
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post
    ....would do nothing for a no-crank situation. LOL

LOL x2.

Trail Leader
    Oh It will run again. Dave my email is aman-fred@live.com. I am getting 11.1 volts at the battery. 10 and change at the pos on the starter. All the fuses under the hood seem to be there, along with the asd. Same with under the dash. I ran out of time to work tonight.
    Mj- on jack stands

Trail Leader
    Well unplugged and re plugged just about everything. She would turn over real slow. Found the alt to be froze up. She fired right up then. Hopefully this will open the old ladies check book!
    Mj- on jack stands

Thread Information