Thread: Tranny Issue?

Trail Leader

Tranny Issue?

Ok, so I bought the 05 Rubi with the automatic, lesson learned I'll never own another jeep older then my 99. I have a problem where its throwing a p700 and p740 code which entail a general problem in the tcm and a fault in with the torque convertor circut? I have replaced the filter and fluid as a starting point and I didn't see an obvious problems. The symptons are the jeep will run and drive until it throws the check engine light, it will still run until you go to stop, then it will shut itself off. You can restart the jeep in park or neautral and it will be fine but as soon as you drop it in gear it dies again, Ive even tried running the throttle up a little and it still dies. It will not move until you clear the codes with a scanner or remove the battery terminal, as soon as the codes are cleared it will drive fine again. If it sets for a day or so the codes will go away and it'll drive normal again. I've read others had replaced the filter and it was ok, others had to do the soleniods and then others had to replace the tranny. It seems to also not shift properly and hunt for gears but then again its new to me and I dont have another 42rle jeep to compare to. Its just started this with in the last maybe 200 miles? It never missed a beat when my buddy owned it and we are at a loss as to why its all of a sudden doing this. Has anyone had any other problems or can offer some advice?
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    How many miles are on it?
    I have an '04 Unlimited (nearly stock) with the same tranny @ 90k+ but never had any issues as you describe.
    Running 35's.... have the gears been changed?
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

I would replace the torque converter lock up solenoid.

Trail Leader
    It's got just under 93k on it, it's lifted on 35s with the stock 410s, I usually run with overdrive off because it bogs around my house in overdrive. Is there a seprate solenoid for the torque convertor or is it part of the solenoid pack? I've found them online for about 150-175 bucks for the whole pack so I figure I'll give that a shot, if nothing else I believe Daveys has trannys for around 500 bucks. If the solenoids were bad could that may be way I think it shifts funny, it seems to shift way too soon for my tastes and really bogs the jeep down
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

Thread Information