Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Now The 5.9L Swap - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now The 5.9L Swap

Oh, and another option is inside the coil air bags, firestone makes them JC whitney sells them. The inside the coil bags are cheap too.
    '88 YJ
    too many mods to list
    Just Empty Every Pocket

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Looking at the picture you can see the slope, it was pretty level when I started, so what do you think would get it back? .75", 1" 1.5" spacers?

Air bags might work, I have a set for the rear for when I have too many tool loaded up, I'll see about a set for the front.

[I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Not much done lately since its already mostly done, only cosmetic stuff left. Got a shittybuilt tire carrier bumper, and some 3" rubicon express springs for the front to replace the 2.5" rough country set the RC's just sagged to much.

Now I just need to find a hand with the wiring harness.

BAN HAMMER!!!

plasma tables are so cool only wish it was a laser.

Finally started working on my jeep again!!!

And now it cranks!!!

Only been a Year!!!

...still doesn't start

Its Alive!!!!

Now for exhaust and brake lines

did have some code

P1389
    P0753
    P1763
    P1765

Time to fix those and see if any more pop up.

Got some new toys to help my lift it up, got a set of 5000lb air lifts in a auction today, there Gray model 100's old as hell I'm thinking 50's maybe 60's at the newest, lifts my my jeeps ass end good, now I need to make some taller safety stands.

Got some new toys to help me get under the jeep a set of Gray M100 air lift should be good for 5000lbs.
    Lifts the tail end of my TJ easy, not bad for something from the early 50's or so.
    Now for some talker safety stands.

Its Alive!........

also inspected and can go 0 to deathwobble in like too fast....

Got some more work down, I pulled out my AC compressor and condenser, I never ran it anyway( nor did I get it recharged from the sway) and I moved the radiator forward and tig welded on new mounts, and put in a volvo electric fan its the same blades and motor as a taurus fan but with a differnent mount also comes with a spiffy dual speed relay so no more replacing 40amp ones.

Then I used the waterjet cut a mounting plate for a york 210 and mounted it on the old AC spot.

And while I was at it I picked up a intake cover for a M35 and powder coated it wrinkle black and installed it in my cowling, found a buick air box, still need to get a hole saw to get the hose to it.

And picked up a set of what was supposedly 18watt LED spot lights to replace the 55watt blazer that never seemed to stay pointed in the right direction. I checked the amp draw on the lights and its only .95 amps so even a 100% efficiency its 13watts I'm going to give amazon such a bad review

but there still brighter than my high beams

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...-no/14%2B-%2B2

Now to wait for the new air tanks (putting OBA and LEDs on my rabbit too)

Well even more work, found the engine had a bad plenum gasket again, I replaced it when I put the engine in, so I decided enough was enough just get rid of the gasket!!!! So I dug up a dual plane carbed intake for a 318 and went about making it fuel injected.

After a few machining operations.

Then a bit of a test fit with some old injectors/weld fixtures.

TIG welding cast alumnium sucks ass, it so dirty, and air/impurity pockets make it flare up and kill your tungsten constantly.

Out with the old and in with the oldschool-ish

Forgot to take final pictures it was 4am by the time I was done. All in all I had to machine the injector bungs,
    the intake for the injectors and then for vacuum barbs and for the rear coolant crossover. Then at 3am found the throttle bottle was too low and was hitting the fuel rails, so I machined a quick spacer out of a block of delrin I had in my locker and sleep depriveredly slapped on some RTV for a gasket. Which I can now hear whistling a bit, need to cut a actual gasket out. It revs a bit higher now on start so I lost some low end, but it seems a bit more even on the highway after 55 it seemed to drop off. But it makes it so much easier to get to the plugs and other parts/wires that I thought why not another onboard welder!

So I dug up a leece neville 24v 150A batteryless alternator should output that 150amps a 880 engine rmp!!! and I dug up a hobart spoolgun this is going to be a mig/stick onboard welder!!!!
    I still need to fab up a new alternator bracket for the stock alternator the york210 and the leece neville but I'm almost done with the control box for the welder, just need a couple 150,000uf 100v capacitors.

But in the mean time I needed a new under seat drawer, since my diamondplate one was too tall to put in the rear seats.
    This time is made out of 14G steel vs 1/8 aluminum treadplate.

Nice welding tables are nice.
    Now with a drawer and some nice 30" drawer slides

But low and behold the stock seat was still to tall so a trip to the junk yard and a set of land rover jump seats later.

A bit of bed liners later, and some screaming of "why you no fit!!!!" "I am forcing you to fit!!!" etc

Now to just fill it with my tuberware of tools that I emptied of of the old drawers been riding in my passanger seat.

Next time massive firetruck air horn.
    Last edited by DeathBlade556; 01-30-2015 at 09:57 PM.

PghOffRoad Regular
    haha Just stumbled upon this thread - what fun stuff - lookin' good!

Damn gabe, overkill much?

There can never be enough additions to the swiss army knife of vehicles!!! Just wait till I get to the quick drop ramp for the death bot, and onboard electric motorcycle charger, and the diesel electric hybrid system(well that ones for my rabbit no room for batteries in a TJ)

That is awesome
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Well I'm getting some very bad rod noise, after the trip to makerfair in new york, in september. So I've grabbed a 5.9 for $300 to replace the 5.2.
    Its a bit dirty so I need to clean it up, new seals/gaskets etc. I'm debating if I should do a cam, and build it a bit.

Did do a reverse light upgrade right before I left for new york, dual 15watt reverse lights!

Acouple from makerfair
    My jeep has a wind turbine!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade556 View Post
    I'm debating if I should do a cam, and build it a bit.
    If the engine's ALREADY out, do the RV cam and double roller timing chain. No one with a Magnum EVER regrets it!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Pulled apart the 5.9 definitely need a cam that one is toast lots of wear marks. New oil pan tomorrow (prime is magic) since as was getting it on the engine stand, the HF 'lifting' strap I was using failed and squashed oil pan like a bug.

Now were to get a mild cam that wont cost me more than the engine? that wont need new pushrods, rollers, arms and springs? that will cost me twice the cost of the engine?

Got the new injector bungs in totally not worth the time to turn them on the lathe so I have to mill new slots in the intake.
    This time atleast I wont make the oring pockets too big and have to RTV the injectors...

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Hughes Engines for all your magnum goodies
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Was hoping somebody had a cheaper source than Hughes, the current cam is not good for a core, and I didn't want to get new pushrods and springs with the hughes cams.
    Though I've heard LS1 springs will work with a mopar.

If you're not changing to a hi-po ECU, Summit has an RV cam that will work nicely with your original ECU and boost your low-end torque.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k6900
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI

That may work with the hydraulic flat lifters in this mythical ram charger I keep on hearing about , But not with the roller tapets in a magnum....
    So much harder to find cams for roller lifters

Found a good deal on a compcams 20-745-9 it .212-.218 for $250 instead of $320 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-745-9
    Its a bit more aggressive than I was looking for but its cheaper...
    Now to find new valve springs hughes wants

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade556 View Post
    That may work with the hydraulic flat lifters in this mythical ram charger I keep on hearing about , But not with the roller tapets in a magnum....
    So much harder to find cams for roller lifters
    Hey - the mythical RC went to Wellsville last Saturday! We promptly broke the eyebolt in the right rear spring pack on top of the Forbidden Zone, and spent 90 minutes fixing it (at least HALF of that time was spent trying to scrounge up a replacement!), before calling it a day (we were afraid we'd break the left one, too).

My autistic son provides additional commentary.

Question

So what's the latest on the 5.9?

Well on the 5.9 I tore it down, needs a new cam still, yes still haven't got one, I'm going have this one bored, and do a full rebuild but in the interim I'm going to see a guy tomorrow with what looked like a clean 5.9 to get in before bantam. So I'm doing run up work, cleaning up the wiring harness, making some brackets to install a RV2 compressor for a new OBA, and a big leece neville 180amp 24v alt for a onboard spool gun, etc, did some welding on the radiator the other day.
    Took my old 22mm hose adapter for a VW temp switch and turned it down and welded it into the rad to save me some clutter and a few bends in the hose.

On a side note I might be cnc'ing up a batch of weld in bungs for the VW switches. (trying to use this m22 tap I bought incase I need another adapter.)

Thread Information