Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Opinions Wanted: Cummins or Powerstroke?

View Poll Results: What should I get?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 03-08 3/4 ton Dodge w/ a Cummins

21 77.78%
  • 03-08 3/4 ton Superduty w/ a Powerstroke and keep Powerstoke

5 18.52%
  • 03-08 3/4 ton Superduty that has already been Cummins swapped

1 3.70%
  • 03-09 3/4 ton Superduty and Swap er myself

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted: Cummins or Powerstroke?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar

Opinions Wanted: Cummins or Powerstroke?

So I am starting to get the itch to look for the truck that I want to buy after graduating and getting settled into a job, and I'm running into a little dilemma and wanted to see what you guys thought about the issue.

Now I've wanted a Cummins since I was 15. I love the looks of all the 90's and up dodge trucks, i love the power you can get out of the motor, I know the motor is very reliable, i love em. I wanted 90's 12v at first, but dont see very many in good shape in the rust department. And I would like something a little newer, something a bit more reliable than all the other turd's i've owned. So i'd like somethin around a 03-08 or so.

The thing that is really making me not want one now is I just feel the dodge truck around the cummins motor is a piece o crap. My dad has 03 with about 100k on it and its rustin around all the quarter panels, around the hood, he's had a lot of problems with brakes, the transmission just needed a rebuild, amoung other things. I've also heard of other problems from other people who have owned dodge trucks.

This is kinda making me want a powerstroke. I'm just feeling like these same problems are a whole lot less common on the superduty trucks. I feel they may have the best truck. But I've been a ford h8er forever. So its kinda hard for me, I guess I may have to man up and quit h8in.

I mean id much rather have the cummins motor for sure. I feel like id be reluctant to want to do a cummins swap into a superduty. I'm kinda big on wanting something that is very reliable, feel like doing a motor swap could reduce that. I dont know though, is it really as good as the magaiznes say?

What do you guys think I should do? Please explain lol
    Last edited by HeepH8erTy; 04-29-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I'd rather have a truck that fell apart around a cummins than a 6.0 power stroke....

As far as what to do... I dunno man. I looked at TONS of used trucks before I bought my new one... So many of them are just hammered...

I'm also nota ford guy but I do like their trucks...
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    I am kinda loving this 04 cummins...Here rust free....thats wat im sayin lol have to put a respectable front bumper on it though and a lift and wheels and tires... then dive into the motor and tuning lol
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

Do not get a 6.Blow There is no replacement for a Hummin Cummins even if the truck around it falls apart. If the SuperDuty's you were looking at had the 7.3L 'stroke it would be a harder choice for me, but i'd still get a Dodge with the Cummins. 03-05 Cummins with the stick won't give you any mechanical headaches except wheel bearings and balljoints, and the rust will eventually start to show up, it is inevitable.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    The only powerstroke I would buy is a 7.3
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    Do you have something against Duramax?
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

I do haha but i'm staying out of this
    94 YJ MTO

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    As an owner of an 05 cummins since new, I vote for them.....

Overall I'm very happy with mine. In 97k I have done wheel bearings, ball joints, steering and universal joints. I have also put brake pads on all four corners.

Mine is starting to bubble rust here and there but I have been lax in the winter cleanings the last three years. The power is great.

One thing to look for on '05 models is the plastic intercooler tanks. Luckily mine didn't have them (late '05). They are known to blow apart especially under increased boost conditions.

As for power additions, I've used a few boxes and had ok results. I've been running the smarty programming for about 3.5 years now. It's amazing. I am very happy with my 450+hp at the wheels. I have installed boost, pyro, and fp gauges. I am also running a Southbend DD3250 clutch.

If you were serious on dodge's. Look for a 05 or 06 truck. They have the 325/610 5.9L motor and don't have the dpf shit.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

Quote Originally Posted by hardbodyty View Post
    I am kinda loving this 04 cummins...Here rust free....thats wat im sayin lol have to put a respectable front bumper on it though and a lift and wheels and tires... then dive into the motor and tuning lol
    I'm just curious, because that's a sexy truck, are you planning on towing a big trailer wih it?

The reason I'm asking is 6dof and I were pricing trucks out. He is looking at a used 3/4 ton 6.0 chevy for 26,500 and with cash back incentives and better loan interest rates a brand new tundra sr5 with a 5.7 and nice options was actually 10 bucks a month CHEAPER than the used truck... And my tunny pulls my 7000 lb trailer setup with no problems. There's always the supercharger option from trd as well that is covered under your factory warranty and bumps you up from 381/401 to 504 hp and 550 tq

At 24900 for 60 mo (which on an 04 I'd think you'd want to be 60 not 72) you're at 537/mo

For that tundra, it came in at 530/mo on a 72 (which is no big deal for an '11)

Just something to think about if you're going to be financing the majority of the truck. If you need the diesel though I'm voting cummins.
    Last edited by 2002wranglerX; 04-29-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    Do not get a 6.Blow There is no replacement for a Hummin Cummins even if the truck around it falls apart. If the SuperDuty's you were looking at had the 7.3L 'stroke it would be a harder choice for me, but i'd still get a Dodge with the Cummins. 03-05 Cummins with the stick won't give you any mechanical headaches except wheel bearings and balljoints, and the rust will eventually start to show up, it is inevitable.
    Agreed, and I have a 7.3.

Jon you forgot to add lift pumps to that list too
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I wouldnt but a 6.0 but I wouldn't buy a dodge either. My buddy is a big 6.0 guy he claims the later years were solid. His words not mine. The HVAC company I use at the School runs 6.0 in all their trucks some of them have some really high mileage. Bottom line buy a Dodge be ready to replace parts. Ford have money saved up for a new engine. Chevy run it for 200,000 miles sell it for 8 grand and buy another one. Your call
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    Agreed, and I have a 7.3.

Jon you forgot to add lift pumps to that list too
    Lift pumps were bad on the 99-01's and most got replaced under factory warranty and if not, its a really easy and fairly cheap repair to do. BD Diesel has the aux pump's for around 200 bucks or so last time I looked, prices may have changed though.

Oh Ty this is why you want the Cummins by the way...you always got that reserve power

94 YJ MTO

i love the cummins, i had a cummins isx 450 hp in my 2006 volvo semi. that mother pulled harder than my wife grabbing my wallet. fortunally cummins engines are plentiful so used parts are easier to get. and yes i relies youre talkin pick-ups not semi's

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    i originally wanted to go diesel because they are cool and pull a trailer nice. Want to pull my jeep once i get a trailer. But for the amount of hauling ill actually do and higher maintenance costs i couldnt justify the price of the truck for a used truck. I ended up with a new ford gasser. Its really nice and im not paying high diesel prices just to drive around town. That being said diesels are still cool as hell and would like to have one some day.
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

^ Bingo! A good friend of mine and I just had that same discussion yesterday. As much as I love a diesel truck, I cannot justify one period unless I find one for a good deal. Whatever I wind up getting its going to be a 3/4 ton more than likely with a V8 to haul my Jeep around.
    94 YJ MTO

Quote Originally Posted by PatF10 View Post
    higher maintenance costs.
    That's debatable. I did a LOT of research into Diesel vs. Gas when I was looking at a truck. The higher cost of diesel maintenance is typically offset by the fact that it is less frequent. I've talked to many people that have owned both and they all have claimed that overall maintenance costs are about the same. All things equal, I'd go with a diesel, but I just couldn't justify the higher cost because a gasser was more than sufficient for the loads I need to haul. It'd probably be a different story if I lived at altitude though.

In terms of which to buy, I think it really comes down to whether you want to modify it or not. From my understanding, most folks don't start running into issues with any diesels until the owners start heavily modifying them for higher HP and torque. If you think you are going to get into the modification bug, go with the Cummins.

I personally think that a Ram is more comfortable than an F-series pickup (but they ARE comfortable), but that's just my opinion.

FWIW, I'd recommend getting a quad cab short bed. I use my backseat all the time as a "mini trunk" even though people rarely sit back there -- I usually use that more than the actual truck bed. A long bed can be a PITA to park because it's so long. My friends with long beds will intentionally avoid certain places just because they don't want to deal with parking.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 04-29-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by PatF10 View Post
    i originally wanted to go diesel because they are cool and pull a trailer nice. Want to pull my jeep once i get a trailer. But for the amount of hauling ill actually do and higher maintenance costs i couldnt justify the price of the truck for a used truck. I ended up with a new ford gasser. Its really nice and im not paying high diesel prices just to drive around town. That being said diesels are still cool as hell and would like to have one some day.
    What Pat said. I was looking at diesels for a good while, doing the math there was no way that I could justify the expense and maintenance for the occasional tow. I bought a used Chevy 1500 5.3 and like it a lot. It pulls everything I need it to pull, and get better mileage than my 4.0 Grand.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

honestly, if i needed a hardcore hauler (daily hauling) id get a DMAX and im not even a chevy guy. if it was something to drive around and tow on the weekends, cummins all day long. but then again i seem to be a whore for mopar now and then
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Me and my dad own alot of diesels don't believe the newer 6.0 fords are better we had a 05 that we sold$3500 with 120000 miles they are junk we just stopped driving a 04 with 240000 miles truck is fine motor is junk. We went with a duramax love it also for the newest truck bought the new 6.2 GAS ford .diesels are not worth it any more. And cummins does sell a swap kit for the ford for$2200 -$2500 I think, you have to cut the bell housing for the starter and they tell you how to make the wiring work. If you don't like chevy my vote is the dodge. We have had 4 6.0 Fords 2 7.3fords 2 duramaxs a semi with a cat and just picked up a f650 with a cummins o I forgot a 6.5 turbo gmc.

Noob!
    To be honest which ever truck you decide to go with will have problems you pretty much have to pick your poison. The biggest favor you can do yourself is keep it stock and don't beat the cock off it. Since I know that will not happen here is what you can expect out of either:

Both motors have been known to eat injectors (just ask Brodhead about his cummins)

Any power over stock with make the Dodge auto trans crap the bed before too long, the Ford autos are fine up to about 525 whp

Either one with a 6 speed will need a better clutch if you add power

If you lift it the Dodge will eat front end parts

Non-studded 6.0's are a time bomb if they have an off the shelf aftermarket tune with a bunch of timing

EGR systems are the devil and should be scrapped ASAP with the Ford

I am absolutely in love with the interior in my Ford but don't really have enough seat time in a Dodge to compare

All said and done a gasser will most likely make more sense for you, but we are men and our vehicle choice isn't always made with the most sensible truck getting the thumbs up. We like to do things that make us smile. This is why we wheel instead of collect stamps.

BTW I have my truck at school this week let me know if you want to check it out and I'll take you for a ride

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    what is your main reason for buying a diesel truck instead of gas?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I vote Duramax. But then again I have one and love it. Reliable, no rust issues, and plenty of power. '05 with 140K miles now.

I had a dodge one ton Cummins before my Chevy, Great motor, but the body disintegrated around it.

Get the newest truck you can afford, and sell it before rust becomes an issue.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Super Duty, but stay away from the 03-05 6.0s.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    That was my thought too. Mine doesn't struggle at all with my setup

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    I thought the same thing, too. But I didn't push the issue simply because I got the impression that he wants it simply for the "cool" factor.

I don't think I could justify a diesel unless (a) I lived out west in higher elevations, (b) needed to tow more than 9k lbs, (c) was going to be towing/hauling thousands of pounds almost daily, (d) had an inferiority complex, or (e) had more money than I knew what to do with.

For how frequently that most people actually tow their rig somewhere, any newer 1/2 ton gasser is going to have no problem towing in these altitudes and still be able to stop without any problems.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Thread Information