21 77.78%
  • 03-08 3/4 ton Superduty w/ a Powerstroke and keep Powerstoke

5 18.52%
  • 03-08 3/4 ton Superduty that has already been Cummins swapped

1 3.70%
  • 03-09 3/4 ton Superduty and Swap er myself

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions Wanted: Cummins or Powerstroke?

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    i have a 7.3 diesel truck and i drive an Astro van every day. a diesel truck is like a lifted jeep, its not something you want to drive every day.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Ty you already know my feelings on the subject. If you've wanted a diesel truck since you were 15, then get one. Your only young once, so enjoy having something nice before things start to get busy in life. If you settle for something less, then everytime you look at the truck sitting in your driveway your going to kick yourself for not getting/holding out for what you want. Just make sure whatever you get, you can "comfortably" afford to own it.

Do you HAVE to have a diesel truck to get you to and from work everyday? ...Probably not. On the same token though, did you HAVE to bust your ass to get through school so you can make a decent living? You can realisticly own a diesel truck and drive it day to day without going broke. As for anything though, just be sensible with it.

My opinion, as much as the emissions stuff SUCKS on the new trucks, you cant beat the deals that the "big 3" are throwing out on new pickups now a days. Go test drive a few so you can get a feeling for the things that you want and the things that you really dont need. It helps to see things first hand.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    even with what i said before, i agree with chris. when you are putting a large amount of money toward a purchase like this dont settle for something get what you want with the features you want. I made sure when i got my truck i didnt just take something that was on the lot, they ended up bringing something in from columbus because A its what i wanted, and B they still got a sale. If the diesel tuning and performance is what you want then go with it, it will be cool too.
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    That's debatable. I did a LOT of research into Diesel vs. Gas when I was looking at a truck. The higher cost of diesel maintenance is typically offset by the fact that it is less frequent. I've talked to many people that have owned both and they all have claimed that overall maintenance costs are about the same. All things equal, I'd go with a diesel, but I just couldn't justify the higher cost because a gasser was more than sufficient for the loads I need to haul. It'd probably be a different story if I lived at altitude though.
    I agree, gas to diesel maintenance costs end up being pretty equal.
    The added fuel efficiency of diesel offsets the additional cost. (my dad has the identical truck as mine only gas, 2500HD crew cab long bed, My diesel consistantly gets 6-8mpg better than the gas truck, Me driving both so habits are the same. When I am towing or loaded, I get the same mpg that the gas engine gets empty)

The biggest reason to buy a diesel in my opinion is longevety. I fully expect to get reach 300K miles with this truck and still not need an engine rebuild. I'm already close to half way there at 140K miles. It still has the power and reliability that it did on day one. Gas engines are not that good for high milage especially when most of the driving is loaded heavy. Even with the improvements in gas engines, there is only so much you can get out of them before they have noticable reduced performance/reliability.
    Last edited by oros35; 05-03-2011 at 10:54 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    Well, after reading all the posts, i wanted to say thanks for all of your opinions. I was wanting a powerstroke for a little bit and you guys helped turn me back away from the dark side lol. I definitely still want a cummins.

Walker, yes i need to go for a ride in your truck lol

About the whole duramax situation, I just never looked into them. I just always loved the dodge trucks.

And I want a diesel of a gas rig because of A) The coolness factor B) I like the power you can get out of them when building and tunin them up and C) Theyr badass. Like chris and pat said, If i end up buying a gas truck or some diesel truck that I am not happy with, I will want to kick my self everyday. That being said, please dont try to talk me out of wanting a diesel truck, cause its just not gonna happen haha
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    Well Ty, if you're gonna get a Cummins, do it right.

Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    hheeellll yea matt, thats another reason I want one, I want to beat mustangs and ricers with a 3/4 ton truck sittin on 35's haha they wont see it coming
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

Thread Information