Thread: Questions regarding my build... Stretch and locker opinions needed.

Less posting, more wheeling!

Questions regarding my build... Stretch and locker opinions needed.

Lockers:

I don't have the cash to run selectables right now and probably won't for a while. Priorities dictate that the jeep thing falls in the back of the line.

That said, I'd like to hear your expereinces running full spools on the street, in the rear.

Here me out:
    If I'm not going to run a selectable any time soon, I'm limited to auto lockers like detroit and lockrite etc. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to go that route but I've run a detroit in the rear before and it's a little unpredictable with all of it's shifting and bangs. Add to that that now I'll be driving a manual, I'm a little woried that every time I shift the locker will want to engage and disingage. Not something I want on road or off, especially in such a short wheelbase rig.

On-road: I keep spouting off about the ability to drive the jeep on the street. Let me explain. The jeep will see some street time but it is in no way a DD. It will get driven to and from the trails but I do like the idea of having an option to DD it if something should ever happen to my DD or something like that. It's there if I need it.

Enter the Spool idea:
    It's predictable in all conditions. It's there when I need it and I don't have to worry about pings and pops. The down side is tire wear but this shouldn't be a major concern because the jeep often sits in the garage for weeks at a time.

Is this what I can expect out of a spool on the pavement?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiROCen8a_U

So what are some of your expereinces with spools on the street. And what can I expenct as far as turning radius off road with my wheel base? Keep in mind, this is a rear application I'm talking about. The front will get an auto locker, probably a lockrite for now.

Wheel base - Stretch

I'm at 84". Soon to be 87" with a 3" stretch in the rear. I don't want to cut the rear up any more than I have to so the primary focus for the stretch will be up front. I can get an easy 6" up front without doing much more than moving the spring mounts forward. The problem I run into is steering. I'm not ready to do full hydro yet so I'll save that for stage 2 build (they're never done anyway right?). I can run the astro van box but this presents a few problems. With a high steer setup the forward facing pitman arm comes in contact with tierod because of the forward facing pitman arm. The only solution I can see is running the tierod behind the axle with those fancy highsteer arms. I do not know what problems this will present with different clearance issues and so on.

So my question here is, should I bother going with the front stretch and all the headaches that it brings, or just run my 87" wheelbase and keep myself sane?

What are your "experienced" opinions regarding the shorter wheelbases on the trails we run?

Sorry for the long ass post. I had to come to work on a saturday and figured it might be good to get some discussion going. It's been kinda dead around here.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I ran a welded rear in my old Samurai for a number of years. It's not as bad as some think the only time you hear the tires bark is when you make a turn from a dead stop (like in the vid). At speed it's fine. It does effect the turning radius some it's worse on the street than in the dirt.
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gD5vDm_Cx0[/URL]

Lockers:
    I am welded in the back of the TJ. I drive it daily and Im hard on it. After about 2 days, my driving has adjusted as far as turns go.
    When my wheels do hop like the video its usually a full turn or 90 degree turn with a fair amount of throttle. You will quickly learn to adjust. Its not a big deal. My tire life is worse but I dont feel that its enough to worry about honestly. Once your driving style adjusts for turns it will get better.

Stretch
    I wouldnt worry about it until you get it completely sorted out. If you go in without all the parts and a solid plan that you know will work then you will be missing time on the trails.

After wheeling the XJ I am convinced that my short wheelbase of the TJ hinders me a lot. I constantly have to back off and by pass things that were easy in the XJ. I also do not feel anywhere near as stable on various obstacles as I did in the XJ. I hate the short wheel base.

If you are looking to wheel and enjoy your time out then leave as it sits for now and gather your parts, do lots of research and make a plan of attack.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I kinda thought the same about the rear spool. The more I read into it from people that have run them it seems like the negatives are exagggerated. What I mean is most people can deal with it.

Mykal, as far as the plans I agree. I won't do anything until I get it all sorted out. As it is the jeep is still perfectly intact and I plan on keeping it that way until I gather everything I need. I'm sure stuff will come up that I didn't address when build time comes but I'm doing my best to avoid that.

Basically all I was wondering is whether I should bother collecting parts for the stretch up front and whether I should start shopping for spools. You mentioned that you don't like the short wheelbase and that's what I wanted.

To me the short wheelbase has it's advantages in certain conditions just like the long wheelbase rigs do better in other conditions. I know I won't be able to comfortably climb steep stuff but I also know I'll do better in rock gardens and stuff like that.

Basically I'm looking for opinions on whether the 6" up front will be worth it given the headaches involved. I realize that the jeep is what it is so I understand it's limitations being so short.

Stretch it then. I believe for the wheeling in our area it will help.

The 4runner has been welded in the rear for 5+ years and has been fine. Keep the tires aired up to 30 psi and it is much more managable on the street. I would stretch it. The wheelbase on the 5 is too short, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    The 4runner has been welded in the rear for 5+ years and has been fine. Keep the tires aired up to 30 psi and it is much more managable on the street. I would stretch it. The wheelbase on the 5 is too short, imho.
    I think I'm gonna start looking into ways to stretch the front without going full hydro. Let the headaches begin! lol. 6" up front should put me at 94" which should be a little more manageable on the steep stuff.

So even after the 9 inch stretch you're going to be a shorter wheelbase than my CJ 7 and you'll be on 40's? Thats going to be insane.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sycotik Skier View Post
    So even after the 9 inch stretch you're going to be a shorter wheelbase than my CJ 7 and you'll be on 40's? Thats going to be insane.
    lol! It'll be a lot of fun! It's only going to be on 37's though and the extra bit of width will help. Hell I'm on 33's at 84" and it's fine...granted I do pop a lot of wheelies

Brent there is a good chance that I wont bother stretching the front at all so I'll be on 37's at 87". Yeehaw. lol

an s10 or camaro box might be the solution to your problem, they have a rearward facing pitman arm.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

If you like 5's that much I' strech the frame and make it a CJ-6.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Stretch it!

PghOffRoad Regular
    Weld that thing up, you'll be fine on the road. It's fun to scare old ladies and small children when the tires start to bark around a Sharpe turn in parking lot. My votes also for stretching it.
    Last edited by guy; 06-27-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Is it done yet?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    Is it done yet?
    I actually forgot Tom owned a jeep
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

That's about where it sits!!

Attachment 231

Holy Balls Batman
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    that poor old 5......i like it
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Haha, thanks Pat. It's got a long way to go. I wish I would've left the damn thing alone! It'll sit for at least another year. We are looking for a house so the jeep gets no love.

Please tell me its not sitting outside with no top on.

That CJ5 is likely the most badass garage ornament around.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

How does looking For a house mean you can work on the jeep?

Women.....
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]

Nah, not women. It's debt and not wanting to have any when I go sign those papers. I couldnt care less about the jeep right now, haha.

So, what happened to the Pghofffroad logo?

Update on the jeep...I took the cage out and started stripping the herculiner off of it. I just wanted to say a big **** you to you guys for letting me do that in the first place. Anyway, its going well. A couple of braided wire wheels and its almost done. A little tomorrrow and it should be done. Then I'll put the interior back together, plug in the fuel cell.

Thread Information