Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

M416 Resto
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M416 Resto

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar

M416 Resto

Oops, something else followed me home.

1966 M416.

Rescued today from the edge of a farmer's field where it has been parked in the shade since about 1990. Amazing it still has a floor in the bed. I had to shovel out a half foot of natural garbage though. Only one tire shows a little dry rot and they both were still holding air, which is ridiculous. The trailer parking brake will need work but it rolled down the road fine. They don't make em like that anymore.

Plan is to clean it up a little before the Bantam Jeep Festival and pull it behind the CJ5 (M38A1). Long term plan is blast, paint, and enjoy. Get an original tarp cover, jerry can side mount, maybe a spare tire mount. It won't be a camper or anything like a lot of people do with them.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Nice find. Better get to work, bantam festival is around the corner.
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    thats's a great find, ive been looking for one that's similar to that. i wanna turn it into a expedition trailer though.

Your welcome to use my blaster or check out the guy on 22. I forget what he charged me for a frame and body but it was stupid cheap for the time it would have taken.

Restoration in progress.

Forgot to put pics in here from the Bantam Festival.

Gave it a coat of Krylon camo green before the festival so it looked decent.

6 hours in the sand blasting room later.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 09-19-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    looks good.. If I could I wold have stuff like that follow me home all the time.. I am a sucker--- for women and jeeps and not in that order.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Lookin' good. What are the plans for paint? Nice to see a restore being done right.
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by steveg0690 View Post
    Lookin' good. What are the plans for paint? Nice to see a restore being done right.
    Well this is probably where the "done right" ends haha.

I gave it a spray coat of Rustoleum primer and then I'm spraying Krylon ultra flat camo olive drab green all over as I usually do with my projects. Then white stencil markings: stars, serial numbers, tire pressures, etc.

going for this:

Just found out an r-title for my trailer has a $300 fee. Screw that. Anyone have a trailer title laying around?

Trail Leader
    Since it was a full resto, can't you apply for a new construction title? I know more than a few people who have backhalfed trucks, welded tongues on, and gotten trailer titles for them. You can say you constructed the frame, and used other parts you had lying around.

The enhanced inspection garage I called said it doesn't matter if you buy a new trailer kit and build it, or buy a trailer out of state without a title and bring it in, or fully build a trailer, you have to get the $300 R-title thing.

If anyone can confirm this is wrong for sure, I'd like to know.

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    I dont beleive that is a state fee. Mosty shops that do reconstructed paper work charge for it. Its a pain in the ass. So they want paid for it. Call around. You might find it cheaper. Not all shops do them and even few do trailers. I can do cars and trucks, but not trailers.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Trail Leader
    Found this here......http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/o...emade_Trailers

When you register your homemade trailer, or one made from a kit, there are several registration steps. Take four color photos, one of each side of the trailer. With these photos, be sure to include the chains attached to the tow hitch, and of the lighting present on the trailer.
    Complete an MV-1, Application for Certificate of Title, and Form MV-426, Application for Reconstructed or Specially Constructed Vehicle.
    You'll also need to submit a Bill of Sale and documents that prove ownership. These documents could include a certificate of title, the manufacturer's certificate or origin, salvage certificate, and receipts for all major components.
    The title fee for homemade trailers is $22.50, plus you'll need to pay sales tax, and the appropriate trailer registration fee. The annual registration fees for trailers weighing:
    • 3,000 lbs. or less―$6

• 3,001 lbs. to 10,000 lbs.―$12

• 10,001 lbs. or more―$27
    You may register trailers 10,000 pounds or less for one to five years at a time.

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    Its the MV426 that gets you. That must be filled out and signed by a state inspection mechanic with certifiacation for reconstructed. And in this case also trailers. That is what the guy is charging so much for. Not only is the mechanic, but also the shop but be set up for reconstructed. This all changed about 6 years ago. What they did was put the responsabilty of figuring out the paper work end more on the mechanic. Mostly the tax and such.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Get a out of state title from Maine or new Hampshire , then transfer the title to pa and tada. You have plate, no mv246 needed . There are title agency's that will.do the work for you.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Trail Leader
    Where can I find a pintle and drop leg kit?
    04' TJ

Trail Leader
    When I made my trailer, I just went through Maine. You could say it's a homemade trailer since you did restore it. I don't have a title, as none is needed. There is no inspection required. I also only pay $50 for 5 years. They sent me a plate in the mail and I was good to go.
    [QUOTE=Super Scout;254190]I just slammed my dick in a screen door after reading this thread.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Maine is where it's at apparently.

Does anyone know a source for heavy military style OD green canvas tarps?

They seem cheaper than being the actual cover for the trailer. I been doing some hunting online. I need a small one for this trailer and a giant one for the deuce.

Can you help me locate the right forms on Maine's BMV website? I failed at searching just now...

Thread Information