Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Help me decide on new tires

View Poll Results: Help me choose tires

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • BFG All Terrain T/A KO

10 35.71%
  • Dick Cepek FC II

1 3.57%
  • Goodyear DuraTrac

11 39.29%
  • Other

6 21.43%

Thread: Help me decide on new tires

Help me decide on new tires

I'm due. On my 2000 WJ, I currently have BFG AT's. Big fan of this tire and have had no fewer than 4 sets on various vehicles. They wear like iron and look great.

But - looking for alternatives of something that might be even better. I've heard that the Dick Cepek FC II's are a solid choice and many who have had both the BFG AT's and the Cepek's say that they are considerably better in all areas (traction, noise, wear). I usually get 45-50K out of BFG's so I want at least that type of wear.

Mainly used on road - 95% of the time, but hoping to change that.

Will need size 265/70R17 or 255/75R17.
    Last edited by Cebby; 07-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

Less posting, more wheeling!
    i had the fc-2 a couple years ago, lasted about 22-24k miles. youll be hard pressed to find a deal of any cepek or micky tire. and they're noisy. im going to get a set of bfg's or nitto's for my next set just for street use, and get a second set of wheels for mudders.

Cooper just came out with a ST MAXX, its more agressive than their ST (AT) , but not quite the STT (MT)...essentially it's in the same category as the Duratrac's.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Falken wildpeaks at

God I hate bfg at's
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    Falken wildpeaks at

God I hate bfg at's
    or kumho mts...whatever they are

goodyears...im starting a job at a GY dealer soon, gotta push their product.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    FWIW I really like my Duratracs. They are wearing great, they're quiet, and crazy good in snow!
    01 XJ RE 4.5 33s...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I like the General grabber AT2's, just put a set on my dad's truck. Similar to the bfg's, but a lot cheaper, around $140 per tire for a 256/70/r17
    1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

Trail Leader
    x2 on the AT2's have no complaints on mine....
    I am looking forward to regretting this

Quote Originally Posted by sethman15210 View Post
    i had the fc-2 a couple years ago, lasted about 22-24k miles. you'll be hard pressed to find a deal of any cepek or micky tire. and they're noisy. I'm going to get a set of bfg's or nitto's for my next set just for street use, and get a second set of wheels for mudders.
    I couldn't disagree with this more. The FC II Is probably the most common tire that we sell. LOUD? That tire is the quietest I have ever heard (or haven't heard)LOL. they are a great year round tire. Their only down fall IMO would be that they cake up in thick mud. But they are not a MT. They are pricey, But you get what you pay for. I have sold over a dozen sets in the last six months, and not one customer has complained about noise or poor wear. I will most likely be putting a set of FC II's on the Excursion when it is time. Most people running these tires are getting 40-50 thou out of them , depending on how you take care of them. I tell our customers to rotate them every 3000.

If you are looking for other options look in to the Procomp AT, Not the Extreme AT, just the AT. also a high millage tire that is a good all around tire. I know of a few guys that have gotten almost 50,000 out of these too. one in particular had them on a 3/4 ton dmax. Pro comp usually has a buy 3 get one free promo once a year. Not sure when or if they will do it this year.

as I have said before about tires, everyone has their favorites.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilly95 View Post
    x2 on the AT2's have no complaints on mine....
    x3 have them on both rigs and have no complaints. ZJ set has about 50k and one of them is getting sorta close to the wear bar, but the other 3 are ok. Good all around daily driver tire that has enough grip for light/medium wheeling (depending on conditions) and snow. Probably get 2 new ones this fall. Duratracs look pretty nice too but no experience with them.

I just bought General Exclaim UHP's for the car (275/35 18's) and they are pretty nice - General seems to be making good stuff these days.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Quote Originally Posted by pittim View Post
    or kumho mts...whatever they are
    i wouldn't recommend them for someone looking for AT's... due to their awesomeness someone that actually wants AT's won't understand what to do with actual traction
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Techflork
    I'm a fan of the cooper AT's. They've gotten me everywhere we wanna go, granted they're not the best in mud they still offer good traction and take a beating on the road before wearing down. I don't have the new ones though. I stand by cooper, they haven't let me down yet and they sound great on the road if you don't like the loudness of mudding tires and such. my .02

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. BFG's worked for you as you said so why change what works?

My next tire will be the goodyears because I've heard nothing but great reviews from them since. The only reason I'd pick em over BFG's is cuz they have an edge when it comes to mud.

Thanks for the input all - I've been researching quite a bit on this and I've decided to give the Duratracs a try. Ordered from Sam's Club yesterday.

Was also considering General Grabber Red Letters, but they didn't have my size for the new wheels I got.
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

Noob!
    FWIW: I put the Kelly Safari TSR on my XJ and love them. Had them on for about 18 months and zero complaints. Mud, snow, daily driver...no gripes. They're nearly identical to the GY Duratrac...goodyear owns kelly now so they pretty much are the same. They're just cheaper. But I've also heard good things about the Duratracs...and bonus they have that mountain and snowflake emblem for severe weather rating.

Also, just to mention, my friend put the Grabber AT2s on his TJ about a year ago and loves them; I've also used Mastercraft CT (decent snow, great in mud, pretty aggressive look) and currently run the Mastercraft AT2 on the old lady's WJ. The AT2s honestly surprised the heck out of me in both snow and even mud now that they've been on about 9 months. Wanted better street manners and not quite so aggressive for her but they really grab (Cooper owns Mastercraft so they're all decent tires) for a more mild looking AT tire. That Mastercraft CT, btw, is very similar to the Cooper ST. My dad's got the STs on his Ranger and loved them in the snow last winter driving from New Castle to Zelienople daily for work.

Let us know how the Duratracs work out; post some pics when they're on.

I've been looking at the AT2's or the Hankook dynapro atm for the JK.

Any input on the dynapro's?
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Got the tires on yesterday. They look great.

Initial impressions: these things are quiet - quieter than the BFG AT KO's they replaced (granted these were well worn - fronts were 4-5/32's & rears were nearly slicks). They ride nice - will report more after some of my suspensions parts are replaced (got some wandering related to worn suspension parts).

Best part of this? Tires came in on 7/18 - got a call from Sam's Club tire dept. that I should wait until 7/22 or later to pick them up so I can take advantage of GY's $50 off rebate for set of 4 tires. Gotta love that...

Here's a pic (looks lower than it really is - bad angle):

3" IRO springs w/Bils, JKS trackbar/discos, Addco rear SB w/IRO extended links.

Real fun begins this week: DMG will be installing IRO adj rear LCA's & rear A-Arm and Clayton LA fronts.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    Here's a pic (looks lower than it really is - bad angle):

3" IRO springs w/Bils, JKS trackbar/discos, Addco rear SB w/IRO extended links.

Real fun begins this week: DMG will be installing IRO adj rear LCA's & rear A-Arm and Clayton LA fronts.

Nice. Even though it rarely leaves the road, I'm seriously considering those tires for my 98' K2500.

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    I think you will be happy with the duratracs. I wheeled with somone who had them on a YJ and I was impressed. I too have always been a fan of BFG AT KOs. I have run them on just about everything I have owned on and off road rigs. They are pricey but a great dual purpose tire.

I hate my Pro Comp Xterrians on the TurboTJ. they suck in the snow and don't clear mud well but are quite on the road. The Mickey's on the XJ are great.. haven't had it out in the snow yet... but they are noisy as all get out.

That being said they grip rock alot better than the BFG's.

I recently have had to give up on BFG's as I don't make the bank anymore to support my BFG habbit. I recently got a new tow rig and have put General Grabber AT2's on it the tread is simialr to AT Ko's and about $70 bucks cheaper... the duratracs should work well for you.

Less posting, more wheeling! BigDukeSix's Avatar
    Looks good. Good luck with the new tires. Although its too late, ive had good luck with all BFG tires. I've run them on every car/suv we've owned.
    I am a Libertarian, you tattooed freak.
    DMG
    Stock 07 Rubicon Unlimited , dont really want to scratch it, dont park near me

I hate wrenching..... I love Gibbs Automotive Service

Thread Information