Thread: Fender flair stuff

Trail Leader

Fender flair stuff

whats up guys, i posted on here, but this is to ask one question in specific. i found fender flairs that i would not mind on the truck ( i dont want them period, but pa state requires them).. regulations say max 3 min width. how tight are tehy on that? cause i know the ones i found are 4 1/4 wide.

with that said there is a similar size but only 2.5 wide but i dont know if that would cover me.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    did your truck come with a factory flare at all, or was it an option for your truck. if it was that 3in length is past the furthest point on the fender.
    for example, a jeep tj sport has a 3in flare. technically that flare is still considered part of the fender. so you could buy a 6in flare and still be legal because it is only 3in past the stock ending point of the flare. i think anyway.
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    If your tires are covered,99% of the time you will be ok.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by ezman View Post
    did your truck come with a factory flare at all, or was it an option for your truck. if it was that 3in length is past the furthest point on the fender.
    for example, a jeep tj sport has a 3in flare. technically that flare is still considered part of the fender. so you could buy a 6in flare and still be legal because it is only 3in past the stock ending point of the flare. i think anyway.
    That's not the way it was explained to me at state inspection class. I was told it is 3in from the outward most part of the metal fender.
    Which is bs because then every jk on the road should not pass. That said if the tires are covered you should be fine.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Trail Leader
    ok, thats what i wanted to know. cause i am not worried about cops, ya know, tires covered, im good, if i go to inspection with 4 1/4 inch flairs i dont want to fail is what i am worried about. lol

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Stock TJ flares are 4 in so they would be illegal. The Jk's I think they just call that whole plastic mess a fender or flender or something.

Trail Leader
    ok, so i will be good with the 4 1/4 flairs, good news, cause that saves me about 2 hundred bucks right there. now to just send back the fail flairs and get my money back.
    97 tj, 4.0, ax-15, 8.8 rear, 3.73s, trussed, long armed, and 35" baja claws on wagon wheels.grand and big daddy steering.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Mine are 10" wide. Just cover the tires and you should be ok.
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    That's not the way it was explained to me at state inspection class. I was told it is 3in from the outward most part of the metal fender.
    Which is bs because then every jk on the road should not pass. That said if the tires are covered you should be fine.
    that's good to know. that could've been what i interpretted from the inspection book for the class. i never took the class just got the book. but that was about 6 years ago.

it seems the whole fender flare thing is a big gray area
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

Yes it is.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I'd see more issues over lacking flares and needing them than having big flares and actually trying to keep the tires covered

Quote Originally Posted by 88wd21 View Post
    I'd see more issues over lacking flares and needing them than having big flares and actually trying to keep the tires covered
    Yeah I would too. I was told that by a cop. Another cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket. I went to fight it and the judge said the front flares were ok because all the jeeps he had seen were like that. But still found me guilty on the rear flares... WTF!!! Flares are 7" Warns on a YJ...
    I even went into court all prepared with photos and measurements of new jeeps with wide stock flares. KJ's and JK's. Cop argued with me that he has no idea about what aftermarket equipment was installed on those vehicles... What an ass!!!

I even offered to drive over to a dealership with him to prove my point...
    Ian

I heart bumpsteer...

1993 YJ, My Jeep's as tall as I am

Thread Information