Thread: Stroker install

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.

Stroker install

Installing the stroker in my XJ tomorrow night afterwork and Saturday. No replacement for displacement. Dragged the garage tonight- fired it up and spun it around one last time under 4.0 power. If you were in the north hills you might have heard it knock knock knocking on heavens door.

Trail Leader
    Good luck putting it in I can't wait to see that thing run!!!!!! I mean pull it out !!!!!! LOL !!!!!!

Less posting, more wheeling!
    what size did you go with, who did your machine work? im gonna build one this winter when theres nothing better to do. i think im gonna do the 4.8L with a scat custom crank and rods.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Yeah - screw the install (after all, how different is it than installing a regular 4.0), lets get some tech on the build up of the engine itself!!!!!

We need camshaft choice, piston choice, crankshaft choice, rod choice, head choice, block choice, injector choice, intake choice, Etc.....!

Previously "TurboTJ"

Stroker update

Overbored just under 4.00, 3.98 grind on the stroker crank to make roughly just under 3.04 CI, head is decked, Comp cam 753905, I have a banks header, high vol oil pump, flow cooler high vol water pump, had the macine work done on the block and crank at a machine shop that I do business with in VA. They do NASCAR team prep for the Richmond Race . I used to live there and they have done 4 or more 242/258/150 and 350/383 engines for me. So I went with the known quality. I had a buddy dropped off a good core I had at his place and I met him half way with it when it was done.

I put some brown dog mounts in with it today at work. I started at 8:30 had the engine out by 10:30, parts off and cleaned up and getting swapped back on by near 1, and the engine in and bolted in to the trans and mounts around 3. I have it about 100% just need to connect the alternator, starter, rear 02, bolt up the trans lines to the oil pan, the two upper torx bell housing bolts.

The only problem I have run in to is the idler pulley that is made into the AC bracket looks like it might be toast to match the locked up AC compressor (had be disconnect and open to the elements since I have had the XJ since march). The last thing I started to do before the shop got locked up was put the mechanical fan on. The pulley wasn't sitting flush- it was cockeyed. I looked at the old 4.0 and the pulley had worn a groove into the timing cover.

Anyone know of hand if you can get parts to service that idler pulley. Looks like the shaft is either pressed into the bracket or has a snap rig perhaps? Quick rock auto search only shows the tensioner pulley (they call it an idler) and quick searching on the WWW didn't find anything.

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Holy crap... just did a search its MOPAR P/N 53011002.. 200 bills. new.. can seem to find any replacement parts for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTJ View Post
    Holy crap... just did a search its MOPAR P/N 53011002.. 200 bills. new.. can seem to find any replacement parts for it yet.
    Got a pic?

Previously "TurboTJ"
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33548

It is the accesory bracket that the AC comp. bolts to. It has a water pump style flange and pulley and a dummy shaft that is pressed into the bracket. The bracket is cast aluminum so it won't hold up to alot of press work.

Ahh - Regular Cherokee only I'm guessing cause none of my Grand Cherokee or Wrangler brackets look like that one.

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Yep only XJ's used that goofy set up.. As far as I can tell I am SOL. No repair kits readily availlable that I can find. MOPAR P/N 53011002 is on "limited" supply which is once step away from "NLA" (no longer available). I ordered one today and the dealership said the main wharehouse only showed 1. So I will save my old one press it apart and see what I can come up with making a spare for the future.

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Got the bracket installed today and fired the engine up, sounds good, has plenty of power. I pimped it home.. and loved every second of it.

Oh I saved the old bracket to goof around with incase I get bored this winter at work. I will press it out and get exact measurments of the bearing. Looking at it, the mech. fan shaft is just press fit into the bracket and bearing. The new bearing is made by NSK and is marked A19. I did a catolog search and couldn't find an "A19" bearing so I will need to get ID and OD measurments... but I think rebuilding is an option if anyone else has an issue.

What pistons did you use? Ever hear of anyone using the factory 4.0 pistons & just installing a big enough cam to bleed off static compression at lower RPM's/idle?

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Ross Forged Pistons. Sorry for the delay been busy jeeping and not busy posting. You might have seen the Xj tearing up and down 19 the last week or so.

Trail Leader
    When you gonna come wheel with us ??

Trail Leader
    Total cost to do the stroker, ballpark? I'm thinking about making a stroked 4.0 part of my TJ's future.
    Originally Posted by [B]skeebs[/B]
    [I]there should be specific criteria people must meet in order to purchase a jeep

[/I][QUOTE=mangotango;227621]^^^Gettin' laid in the shower and you're complaining about the water? Really?
    That's like having someone give you a million bucks and complaining about the color of the check.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dan58;233662]The ugly as hell police says illegal.[/QUOTE]

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMountianbiker View Post
    When you gonna come wheel with us ??
    My wheeling time is tight right now.. still in the process of making the XJ 100%. But I am now calling BS on myself and taking it wheeling next weekend. The TJ still needs some tweaking... the compressor side shaft bearing has got a little play so this winter its going to get torn down and rebuilt (it was a used turbo) while I finalize the mocked up setup I had this year. To top that off the misses is going back to get her masters... so I am Mr. Mom when I get home from the shop... which I dig but it seriously eats up all of my free time.

Total cost... not a realitic comparision for anyone as:
    1) I had a core block
    2)I had numerious other stroker parts by wheeling a dealing
    3) What I did pay for I haggled alot and whined even more
    4) the machinist is a professional friend/co worker that has done tons of stuff for my old shop and myself plus I bailed him out of a pickle once

I have about 2 large total valve cover to engine mounts- that accounts from everything from pistons, rods, browndog mounts, oil, plugs, beer, pizza... everything... so thats about 3g's less than the average turn key Hesco I think the last time I priced one from them.

thats about the same as a crate stocke engine.... if you are keeping score at home.

Thread Information