Thread: Any mechanics who do Pa state inspections ?

Any mechanics who do Pa state inspections ?

Hi I was wondering if I will have a problem passing inspection because I have a set of train horns mounted under my truck . I have them wirred to an upfitter switch and the stock horn remains untouched a guy at work told me it will still not pass ?

Also how many inches is legaly allowed for a hood scoop ?

Sorry for the stupid questions .

Tom

Less posting, more wheeling!
    as long as your regular horns are still hooked up theres no issue there. i dont think theres any limitation on hood scoops
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    The hood scoop cant block your view.

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    No problem with the horns, and as long as the hood scoop doesn't block the drivers view then you will be fine. The horns are legal, but I wouldn't even tell the shop about them so they dont try to raise a problem with it.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    Auto Tech. and PA State Inspec./Emissions and VA Safetey and Emissions Tech here.

Yes the train horns are illegal and the hood scoop may be illegal here is the exact code.

Horns and warning devices.

(a) Condition of horns and warning devices. All components of a horn or warning device shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.190 (relating to inspection procedure). (b) Horn and warning device requirements. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have a horn or other warning device which is audible under normal conditions at a distance of not less than 200 feet. No vehicle shall be equipped with a siren, bell, whistle or similar device emitting an unreasonably loud or harsh sound, except emergency
    vehicles and vehicles equipped with an anti-theft device.

The hood scoop would be illegal if it obstructs yoru view from the 3" line and/or the acute area:

(C) A sign, poster or other material, whose design prevents a driver from seeing through the material, extends more than 3 1/2 inches from the lowest exposed portion of the rear window, rear side windows or rear wings of a passenger car.

OR if it alters the primary and secondary latch function.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTJ View Post
    Auto Tech. and PA State Inspec./Emissions and VA Safetey and Emissions Tech here.

Yes the train horns are illegal here is the exact code.

(a) Condition of horns and warning devices. All components of a horn or warning device shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.190 (relating to inspection procedure). (b) Horn and warning device requirements. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have a horn or other warning device which is audible under normal conditions at a distance of not less than 200 feet. No vehicle shall be equipped with a siren, bell, whistle or similar device emitting an unreasonably loud or harsh sound, except emergency

HIGHLY arguable with the train horns - the statute itself leaves open to interpretation what is "Reasonable" and/or a "Similar device" (Since it is clearly NOT the specified siren, bell, or whistle)

So basically, he DEFINITELY should not go to YOUR inspection station!

But another tech may have absolutely zero problem with it.

It's like I tell everyone with lift laws, according to the law your not allowed to modify your vehicle at all, but if you do anyway they give out interpretable guidelines.

Soooo, if your lifted TJ doesn't pass at one station cause "You jacked it up to high!"

Just go to the next one & see if they have the same opinion - cause THAT is exactly what your dealing with, opinions of the people holding the stickers.
    Last edited by gonecheenin; 08-16-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTJ View Post

Yes the train horns are illegal and the hood scoop may be illegal here is the exact code.

The hood scoop would be illegal if it obstructs yoru view from the 3" line and/or the acute area:

(C) A sign, poster or other material, whose design prevents a driver from seeing through the material, extends more than 3 1/2 inches from the lowest exposed portion of the rear window, rear side windows or rear wings of a passenger car.

OR if it alters the primary and secondary latch function.
    Im also an inspector. I inspect heavy truck and car/light truck everyday. As mentioned above, it is up for interpretation. Air horns on a car are not unreasonable to me. Trucks can use them and come factory with them. That to me says they are reasonable. Since the OP stated that the factory horn still works and has the air horns in addition to the factory horn, I would pass the vehicle. This is similar to damn near all heavy trucks on the road. They have an air horn and a "normal" horn. The only caveat to that would be if he really had a real train horn cluster. That to me would be unreasonable, but i dont nit pick stuff. As long as its safe, and the horn on the wheel works, it will pass.

Easy way around it? Disable the air horn. If you cant hear it work, then you dont know if its un reasonable or not, and the inspection procedure doesnt require all horns on the vehicle to be in working order. So long as a horn is audible from 200ft, you pass.

Further more, as for the hood scoop the part you quoted is irrelevant as it applies to the windows excluding the windshield and applies to passenger cars, not light trucks. The part you were looking for is as follows:

(B) A sign, poster or other material
    whose design prevents a driver
    from seeing through the material,
    obstructs, obscures or impairs the
    driver’s clear view of the highway
    or an intersecting highway. Under
    FMVSS No. 205, this restriction
    does not apply to the rear side
    windows, rear wings or rear window
    of trucks or multipurpose passenger
    vehicles.
    However, again this is up for interpretation. If you were 4'6" tall a 6" hood scoop could obstruct your view. I'm 6'1", so I wouldn't have a problem with it.

All it states for the hood during the external inspection is that it completely covers the engine compartment. Which it does. So yes again, it would pass if I was inspecting it.

Remember, just because something is stated in the vehicle code doesn't automatically mean it fails inspection. To see if it is a failable item it MUST be a condition stated in the inspection procedure that follows the "Reject if" in the book. If it doesn't fall under the "reject if" part of the book, then it must pass. The items listed in the procedure that follow "reject if" are the ONLY reasons a vehicle will fail, whether they are open to interpretation or not. Just because its not legal, doesn't mean it fails.

And no, I cant inspect vehicles for anyone. I am in a fleet shop and only inspect our own vehicles.
    Last edited by notmYJ; 08-16-2011 at 01:08 AM.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

Unplug the compressor for the horns. If the scoop blocks my view of the road when I test drive the truck for inspection it fails.

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Unplug the compressor for the horns. If the scoop blocks my view of the road when I test drive the truck for inspection it fails.
    Yea ditto on that... I stand by my interpertation of the code. However you can see there are areas that are grey.

I would rather have to justify my failing to the station manager/trooper than to put anything questionable out there on the road. Also if your rig is every involved in a fatality or serious accident- your saftey inspection is the first thing they look at. The accident investigation team goes over the vehicle, even if items found didn't contribute to the collision you will still be fined or loose your inspection lic. if something got a sticker and it shouldn't have.

If there is anything amiss its on me and the station I work for. That is not to say I bust they guys stones on every little grey area.. but if something blocks my view... it either needs to come off or it gets no sticker.

As you can see there are alot of good guys/gals on here that can give you good advice.. but it is all ultimately up to who is inspecting it.
    You can deactivate the air horns to pass.

Anything that blocks the view decals, scoops, defects in the glass anything fails.

But as you can see it all depends on where and who you take it to. Alot comes down to inspector discretion and the totality of the vehicle. There are alot of good guys and gals here that can give you pretty solid advice and generalities. But it ultimately comes down to who is inspecting the rig.
    Last edited by DixieJeeper; 08-16-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: add

Trail Leader
    Ok, this concerns me because my button in the wheel fried.. so I put a horn button in. then the horn thing quit... so I put a replacment in... would this still pass? It's not a more then factory sound or anything but...
    97 tj, 4.0, ax-15, 8.8 rear, 3.73s, trussed, long armed, and 35" baja claws on wagon wheels.grand and big daddy steering.

Quote Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar View Post
    Ok, this concerns me because my button in the wheel fried.. so I put a horn button in. then the horn thing quit... so I put a replacment in... would this still pass? It's not a more then factory sound or anything but...
    Unless the horn is some crazy loud thing it should be fine. Point out the location of the new horn button to your inspection guy so he doesn't try the button on the wheel and fail you when it doesn't work.

Trail Leader
    Ok. Will do. Any place someone on here could recomend.. kinda like ny new post on here
    97 tj, 4.0, ax-15, 8.8 rear, 3.73s, trussed, long armed, and 35" baja claws on wagon wheels.grand and big daddy steering.

Previously "TurboTJ"
    You can mount an auxillary horn button anywhere within the drivers reach- just has to be 'momentary' type switch like the o.e. was...

Thread Information