Thread: Winch might be worth it now?

Techflork

Winch might be worth it now?

So I was just thinking. We went to a new place today, awesome! Honestly tried to stay away from the mud unless we really had to ford, and one part proved difficult surprisingly. It looked fine half the jeep on solid ground the other half in what appeared to be shallow water. Well when we would go in the shallow would would cause the jeep to slide into deeper water! whatever I backed out and we began to think. We found tons of dead trees/logs and loaded this puddle with them in an attempt to make a bridge. It worked great for me! I got through just fine it's just my buddy went through but the branches didn't hold and he got into a nasty fix. I tried to pull him out and go no where. So I gave the recover strap a little slack then gunned it to jolt him a little. It worked fine. I hated doing that though, and to make matters worse he's flying out of there so I go to move forward but he couldn't make the turn and he slams into a small tree which again jolts my moving jeep back. I just can't imagine the stress i put on the transmission. I don't wanna kill the jeep haha. Anywhoo, would a winch save me the trouble of screwing up the transmission? It would i guess let my engine rest and put the stress on the winch for recover. A much safer route than replacing a transmission no? If I bought one it wouldn't be for another year cause I won't wheel in the winter. But I'm just curious if that's another reason why people might buy a winch. You have a safe recovery option with you but you also have a way to get people out without destroying the jeep. I would imagine gunning it is poor recovery practice but how else to you get a jeep to shove out?

Just another thing to add, my engine coolant was boiling. We let it cool down before continuing. I did notice I need to add more fricken penzoil didn't fill it like they were supposed to!

edit: thought i'd add, to further my dislike for having to gun it the my jeep in 4WD hi sounded beat, dead, UGH! I was going in 1st gear and I thought it was gonna stall because it seemed to be having trouble going. Like a lack of power. I put it in 2WD then back and it still sounded bad. Then we stopped for a while and continued and they drain of power has disappeared. bad? (i'd think so o.0) I'm not opposed to damages but honestly I just wanna do it right and not cause myself huge costs and head aches. Just a noob trying to gain some more experience from the experts

Many thanks,
    Techflork
    Last edited by Techflork; 08-19-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    jesus christ you make my head hurt. Thank you captain obvious with the winch statement, and always wheel in 4 lo.....
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    A winch definitely would be a better recovery option. Second is your strap a tow strap or a recovery strap. Tow straps don't stretch and do little to assist in the recovery of a stuck vechile other then let you hook another one to it. A recovery or snatch strap will stretch storing energy that it then releases as it tries to snap back to original size. A snatch strap will help prevent you from "tugging" a stuck vehicle putting a lot less stress on all parts involved.

I'd get a good strap first. Even when "tugging" it takes most of the shock out. You'll also need it when you do get a winch to tie off to a tree sometimes.
    Steve
    Web wheeling. One forum thread at a time on a 24" monitor.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have never had a problem bumping people out of a hole with a strap.. though mine has some good flex in it. but I have never felt like I was hurting the tranny. I think maybe your being overly worrisome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It really is sad that stupidity isn't as painful for the stupid as it is for those forced to witness it!"

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    jesus christ you make my head hurt. Thank you captain obvious with the winch statement, and always wheel in 4 lo.....
    ha
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    i cant read all that ..what did he say ? he needs a winch ?
    vendors that did me right during my build .check them out

[URL]http://rockstomper.com/[/URL]
    [URL]http://www.ballisticfabrication.com[/URL]
    [URL]http://www.foothillmotorsports.com[/URL] best deal on super swampers
    [URL]http://www.kore4x4customs.com/[/URL]
    [URL]http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/[/URL]
    [URL]http://polyperformance.com/[/URL]
    [URL]http://www.completeoffroad.com[/URL]

He doesn't know what the **** he needs some common sense and an ability to get to the goddamn point would be beneficial traits to acquire...
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    First off, stop being so wordy. Before you go off and buy a winch, you need to learn how to wheel. How to use the recovery gear that you have and how to drive your jeep how it is. First off, USE 4 LOW. Its there for a reason. Second, wheel with a few people who know stuff and they will be more than willing to show you how to use the gear that you have. Familiarise yourself with the different types of recovery gear and its uses. Here is a link to a writeup I made on jeepforum explaining recovery gear.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/r...asics-1133400/.

Don't go straight to a winch thinking it is the end all be all savior in the woods. If you don't know how to use a recovery strap, then using a winch could easily become fatal. The forces in play when using a winch could easily kill you or someone around you. There is seldom a "text book" winch recovery with a straight pull in perfect conditions with a nearby anchor for the winching vehicle. Winching looks easy and sounds easy until you find yourself in knee deep mud at midnight when its 40* outside and starting to rain. Then you find out the vehicle has a busted axle and the rear wheel is trying to distance its self from the jeep with every rotation of the tire.

Slow down. Learn to work with what you got. Learn to drive what you have. Don't worry so much about the small things but pay attention to the important things. Wheel with people who will be able to teach you how, not some guy who saw it done on Extreme 4x4.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

"Wheel with people who will be able to teach you how, not some guy who saw it done on Extreme 4x4. "
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i cant read all that ..what did he say ? he needs a winch ?
    he can buy mine!

Quote Originally Posted by notmYJ View Post
    Before you go off and buy a winch, you need to learn how to wheel.
    Nothing wrong with a winch while you learn. I wish I had one while I learned. I was always getting stuck and getting the come-along out to get me unstuck. It was local little trails. Once I got a winch it was so much better.
    [B]You have'nt been wheeling untill you get stuck and/or break something[/B]
    '99 TJ parting out and not much of it left

Trail Leader
    If your coolant is boiling your rad could be plugged or your fan clutch might be on its way out. Might want to check that before you go out again.
    97 Jeep TJ 4in. lift 35" MT, winch, 8.8
    2000 Dodge Cummins, Auto to 5 speed swap complete.

Thread Information