Thread: Steering squeak

Less posting, more wheeling!

Steering squeak

I installed a new steering box, hoses, and got a still-new currie steering on there but I'm feeling a nasty squeak when turning at a stop or parking. It doesn't do it when it's first started up but after a short drive it will squeak like a mofo. I can't hear it but I feel it through the steering column. It's squeaks during the entire turn in either direction. It's annoying. It's like squeaking your feet on Mr. Clean's kitchen floor.

I used Valvoline Max Life steering fluid when I installed the box and bubbled the system for a good 45 minutes till there were no bubbles.

Anything I can try to get rid of this squeak? I'm gonna regrease the currie joints but I'm doubting it's them cuz they are still new.

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    The new steering could have exposed a weakness somewhere else. My steering has done that before. Take some lubricating oil and spray down onto your steering shaft linkage.
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

What was the issue on yours? Did you figure it out?

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    I figured it was the linkage....
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Could be something in your column. I have a broken clock spring, i get a squeak from it.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    Can you tell if it is column (interior squeak) or steering shaft (in the engine bay) or does it sound like its coming from the wheels? I have seen balljoints squeak like gym shoes on a hardwood floor... its rare but it happens.

I know its the clock spring cause everything else is pretty much new or in good repair. Plus my horn doesn't work and my airbag light is on.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

My horn don't work either lol. When I press it, it feels like nothing's in there. I know the rig was wrecked at one point by the PO cuz the front end shows signs of a rebuild. This squeak started happening right after the steering box fix.

I'll grease the ball joints and steering tie rods to eliminate em first. Was gonna do that today but gf's car started smoking so she took the jeep all day. I asked her if it was squeaking but she said nothing except "it rides so nice" (recently installed bilsteins lol).

I think her car was smoking at the brakes cuz I installed new rotors and pads and it must've been the oil on the rotors burning off. I wiped the rotor surfaces off with soapy water but didn't wipe the rest of the rotor. It was at 1 in the morning and pitch black outside so I rushed the job.

Thread Information