Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrangler or Cherokee

Noob!

Wrangler or Cherokee

alright guys im still looking for a jeep...need something not ridiculously lifted but something that i can still take off road and have fun in...must be a dd cuz that would be the main purpose...and not expensive...im only 19 and go to school full time any help would be great thanks!
    PCOD- Pirahana club or die

don't need a lift to offroad. my stocker does fine. if your a student and it's a DD then a lift would just cost more money in gas and probably repairs. keep it stock till you have time and money to screw around with it. just my two cents, put some nice all terrains on and it will go a lot of places.

Noob!
    ya...i mean i can afford the gas and all that but i dont want a ridiculous lift...4in max just enough to throw some 31s on it...but i dont know ill see wat comes my way

Less posting, more wheeling!
    2" on 31s will work. If you get lucky like me, you can do a lift for as little as 65 bucks (20 bucks for coil spacers, free yj leaves for a bastard pack, and about 45 bucks for ubolts, center pins, and coil spring compressor)
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Noob!
    wow haha thats sweet dude....but ya i dont know i would kill for a wrangler but i cant afford them for what most people are charging....and xj's are few and far between for a good one that i can see

What are you willing to spend, what are you criteria?
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Noob!
    Idk I would have to say no more than 6 or 7k and under or around 100k and just something that can be a daily driver and still be rugged enough to go off road and not care what happens with the body

PghOffRoad Regular
    I don't think you're gonna find much in either mod at that price unless it needs a lot of work (but you never know if you don't look). I've driven both and either can get you lots of places with the right tires. I assume you're talking about a 2-door wrangler. If so, and you want a dd, I'd go with a Cherokee. Way more room and the I6 engine is a workhorse that will outlast the body. Also, on wranglers you probably can do 33s with no lift at all (on JKs for sure), just adjust the steering stops so they don't rub at full turn -- that will cost you about 50 cents for washers.

For about 5-6 grand, i'd consider letting my xj go.

For 7 grand you could get a really really really really nice XJ. Those sell for dirt cheap. Hell buy muddeprived its gotta be well maintained. He put more though in brake pads than I did when made my will. Lol
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by super scout View Post
    for 7 grand you could get a really really really really nice xj. Those sell for dirt cheap. Hell buy muddeprived its gotta be well maintained. He put more though in brake pads than i did when made my will. Lol
    lol!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

Noob!
    i like that last one...kinda high miles though =(

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadordie View Post
    i like that last one...kinda high miles though =(
    No, not really, not that high for a cherokee
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Noob!
    ya true...there is one up at the sendell dealership no price its a 2000 burgundy with a small lift and rims....not too shabby

The 4.0 is almost unkillable if you take care of it. Mine has 150k on it, and I would trust it to drive cross country as it sits.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

I thought the 2000 and up 4.0 were junk ? A bunch of head issues or some garbage ? I had to put a head gasket on Libs at 115,000 miles. The rear main seal has leaked since about 115,000. I think the later years of the 4.0 are no where near as well built as the early 90s. JMHO tho. Do a quick google search on the 4.0 you will find out all you need to know.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    I thought the 2000 and up 4.0 were junk ? A bunch of head issues or some garbage ? I had to put a head gasket on Libs at 115,000 miles. The rear main seal has leaked since about 115,000. I think the later years of the 4.0 are no where near as well built as the early 90s. JMHO tho. Do a quick google search on the 4.0 you will find out all you need to know.
    And also the heat soak issue that plagued those two years (00/01). What a PITA it is to cure.......

Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    The 4.0 is almost unkillable if you take care of it. Mine has 150k on it, and I would trust it to drive cross country as it sits.

If this ****ing idiot cant kill something, whatever it is is built pretty well.

Then he just has a good one. I know a idiot that used to pull a hole shot every time he took out in his 89 Z-71 with the Getrag 5 speed. It lasted 350k miles and through two 350 engines before he managed to break it. It had to be the best trans ever built. That doesn't mean all of them will take that abuse.

Most newer (2000-up) 4.0L's are no way near as stong as the older 4.0L's (I'd go as far as saying '95 back were the best years for durability) I figure it's because chrysler put their hands into the AMC greatness and fluxed something up. Check CL and see how many later model Jeeps are for sale needing a 4.0L engine or the POS 42re trans.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    my 4.0 has around 220k on it. i've only had it for about 2000 of those miles. but it's still holding strong. hell that thing has been sitting for 4 months and started right up after i primed the fuel pump.

6-7k will land you a really nice xj or a pretty decen tj. don't worry about the miles.

but highlander cj is right. i've seen 4.0's shit the bed at 80k. just all depends...
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

As long as you keep some sort of oily liquid in the crankcase and dont over heat it (99 and older) it should work great for you.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

dude i was in your place a year or two ago, and im just now starting to get serious into my build. get a decent XJ with a 4.0, zone 3" lift kit and call it a day. i spend 9/10 of my time in the computer scouring here CL and a few other forums for cheap parts. its a slow painful process to get started but youll get there lol
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

Noob!
    see the thing is im pretty sure i can afford one but my parents think that they are nothing but problems and i told them i know somethings about cars...i can change oil and rotate tires and such but idk is it easy to work on a cherokee? i know i would have a repair manual for it...any suggestions?

Thread Information