Thread: JK-8 Pickup - Should We Build One, Need Some Feedback Please

Web Wheeler!

JK-8 Pickup - Should We Build One, Need Some Feedback Please

I'm in the process of brainstorming an idea to bounce off the owner... I want the dealership (Charapp's) to do a JK-8 Pickup build on a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited.

First off, if we do build one, will there be a market for somebody to purchase the vehicle after we've done the conversion? We have to factor in the vehicle cost, the kit cost, installation and painting, plus likely adding a lift kit, tires and misc. accessories to it.

Second, if we do build it, what model should we build it on? If we want to go on the cheap, we would go with a Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Or, my preference, do it with a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. With either route, do we go with manual locks/windows, or power locks/windows. And of course, 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic?

And third, do we play it safe on color, say Silver or Sahara Tan, or do we go wild on color, say Gecko, Crush or Dozer?

I appreciate any and all feedback on this one.
    2000 Cherokee Sport, 1998 Cherokee Classic

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I think it will be easier to sell a less "loud" vehicle as far as everything goes. It can appeal to a wider customer base.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    ^ agreed - don't go loud if you want to sell it eventually.

Someone would probably buy it, as long as everything would be honored under the factory warranty or the extras honored by the dealer as part of a warranty agreement. Realistically, what would the price be? Somewhere north of $40 grand? $50 grand?

Power locks - yes - keyless entry purposes. Power windows - meh either way.

Automatic, and include a tow package.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    Rubicon, swap in a Pro Rock 60 in the rear. 3" Lift on 37's. Hemi engine and Orange Crush.
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Trail Leader
    Rubi 4 Door, Black & Silver two tone, Viper 8.4 V10 or Challanger 6.4 Hemi with 6 speed, Built 44s or 60s on 38 BFG KM2s
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

Trail Leader
    There is a dealer in Irwin that is lifting brand new chevy trucks. He has probably 10 on the lot, and they seem to be selling good. His inventory is always changing. And they are selling for between 40k and 50k. I see them all over the place.
    [QUOTE=Super Scout;254190]I just slammed my dick in a screen door after reading this thread.[/QUOTE]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    It makes sense to just do the Rubicon, but if you swap axles, there is no sense wasting money on anything other than a base trim. Then again, whoever buys the thing, probably won't wheel it, so even Rubicon axles might be a waste.

If you build it and park it out front -- it'll probably attract a lot of customers. So even if the thing doesn't sell, the number of sales it generates will help to offset the cost once it eventually does sell.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    Are you doing a J8 AEV conversion or the Mopar kit that turns a 4 into a p-up?
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    I would give it some good options. If i had the money to put 50k on a new toy, id want some options and want it to stick out. I wouldnt want just another silver jk, make it pop a little!
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Web Wheeler!
    This would be done with the MOPAR JK-8 pickup kit if we do it, plus all MOPAR accessories as well.
    2000 Cherokee Sport, 1998 Cherokee Classic

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    If you build it and park it out front -- it'll probably attract a lot of customers. So even if the thing doesn't sell, the number of sales it generates will help to offset the cost once it eventually does sell.

I agree with this fully, you can't look at a project as if we do this we will make a quick buck off it and be done. You have to look at it as this will be a great advertising tool for the dealer ship, for the Mopar aftermarket options, and it will sell eventually making money.

As such, I would start w/ a fairly well loaded Rubicon, then keep what makes the rubicon great and add stuff that makes it really stand out in the looks department. A nice bright color, bigger tires, mild lift, bumpers, winch, etc. Don't spend money on hardcore offroad parts that aren't visible (upgraded skids heavy duty steering etc) stay with what adds looks as well as functionality, this will make it apeal to a much wider audience.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

id say do the conversion, im planning on selling the XJ in the spring, financing a 4-door rubi(used), and first thing i wanna do is the conversion
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

Can you finance the additional cost is the question
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    Can you finance the additional cost is the question
    Why wouldn't you be able to. We lift vehicles all the time for dealers. Or for people that have just bought a new vehicle and they have us lift it and it is worked into the finance.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

I would say get a actually j-8 and leave it out frontand take it to car shows as a eye grabber then when people ask about getting one. "sorry thats a millitary model but we can do this *shows lots of photos of jk-8s and options* if you want" you will have less time invested in building it and you dont have to modify a JK and worry about resell on a conversion. Since the J-8 is already a truck.

Though you would have to get the engine less J-8 chassis but that leaves you to drop a 5.9 cummins it it
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Thread Information