Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System flush

Web Wheeler!

System flush

i need to have my jeeps coolant system flushed where is a good place thats close to moon/robinson area cant drive far or it will over heat so the closer the better and with a reasonable price. thanks everyone
    2011 Silverado 4.8L V8 4x4 ext cab short bed

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    If there is an overheat issue- flushing it won't fix anything. Flushing isn't a bad idea but you have to fix the root cause of the issue. First and most simplest guess is a thermostat sticking if you have a true overheat issue and not just a bad gauge sender. Fixes can go from the mild to wild with an overheat. So what have you done so far and what are the symptoms?

Any reputable chain shop will be able to handle the diagnosis and repair.
    "Mixing my hobby with my profession sucked- thats why I wheeled my toolbox home- to jeep more."

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    ^indeed
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Web Wheeler!
    i changed the thermostat and that wasnt it and all the fluid levels are in check i drive for the military so im always do engine inspections on the fluids and everything so im not if its a clogged rad or a bad water pump i started to squeel right before it over heated so i was thinking maybe the water pump

Web Wheeler!
    it only squeeled for a few seconds then stopped thats when i parked it at the hotel

Just flush it yourself with that prestone kit they have at advanced. I've installed them on all of our vehicles, I flush my Jeep 2-3x a year, and everything else gets it once a year.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Ok run down on the overheat going from common to more advance problems:
    1.) You have a new t-stat in it- I am going to make the assumption A)that it was installed correctly with out plastering it with RTV B) if it had a wobble valve it was installed in the 12' oclock position. C) there are no gross or obvious leaks. D) You have a fan shroud on the rig

2.) Check your belts for proper tension- a glazed, cracked, or poorly tensioned belt can casue a squeal and not drive the w.pump at proper velocity.

3.) Take the belts off and try and wobble the waterpump pulley at the 12, 6, 3, and 9 positions- if there is any real noticeable movement the impeller shaft bearing is shot and the impeller is lilkey hitting the housing inside the pump casuing your squeal.

4.) Check the weep hold just behind the mating flange of the pump to see if there is trailing of coolant- usual first sign of a bad pump

5.) With the belts still off check to see if the mechanical fan clutch spins with drag or no drag or if the silicone/hydra grease is leaked out if it spins like a top or leaks like aciv the clutch is bad. IF your rig has an electric fan make sure it is coming on when it should.

6.) Ok thats all fine Scott now what? Get an IR non contact thermometer run the rig up to operating temp at idle, check the core of the radiator for signs of a clogged rad- if you have a 190 t.stat is should roughly be around 190 range give or take 10 or so degrees, if you have 3/4 of the core at 200-210 and there is a section at 80 you have a clogged rad or it is calcium choked.

7.) Still overheats? Time to do a compresion test to really quickly see if you have a blown head or head gasket- compresion ok? Go to #8, If not Ok do a cylinder leak down test to see where the leak/loss of compression is from. Check your oil for milky brown contamination a sure sign of an internal coolant leak.

8.) Check the catatlytic converter- if the TWC is clogged from running it around for the last 9 years with your check engine light on and pouring raw fuel through your exhaust it might have posioned the TWC and the monolith might be breaking apart or clogged- forcing exhaust gases back into the engine and header and boiling coolant in the head. This is a FAST way to blow your head gasket.

9.) Punt
    Last edited by DixieJeeper; 12-13-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    "Mixing my hobby with my profession sucked- thats why I wheeled my toolbox home- to jeep more."

Web Wheeler!
    ok ill have to do that will i be able to do it in a hotel parking lot lol

Need a garden hose to flush em with that prestone kit i'm talkin about. Idk bout doin it in a hotel lot, although I've done some pretty serious wrenchin in parkin lots LOL
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    if your in butelr, PM me, i just did a water pump on my xj, so its all pretty familiar in my head
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Web Wheeler!
    im in pittsburgh right now till the 23rd of december so i was hoping to have it fixed by then lol i told the hotel ppl that i was gonna fix it in there parking lot but if they wanted to pay for the tow ill have it taken to a shop

Previously "TurboTJ"
    I have done some serious wrenching in a hotel parking lot- brake lines, brake line repairs, a wheel cylinder, once did a timing chain for a kid in a hotel parkign lot on the way to a jambo.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    I've done some pretty serious wrenchin in parkin lots LOL
    I installed a new aussie locker in the back of a grand cherokee in a parking lot. Top that!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    lol.... parking lot wrenching. I welded a rear spring hanger back on bustabizz's CJ5 in the hotel parking lot at Rausch Creek. Not a great feeling to be welding right beside the gas tank after he beat it across Rock Creek earlier in the day.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

Previously "TurboTJ"
    thats pretty hardcore- Ausse locker still is the winner.

I wish we had documented proof for the parking lot wrenching PatF10, KROD, Wes, and myself did when we were in college. Something along the lines of a motor swap on a red YJ rings a bell, haha.

I saw a motor swap started at one of my college campus parking lot but never finished as far as I know haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieJeeper View Post
    thats pretty hardcore- Ausse locker still is the winner.
    It doesn't top the timing chain by much. That doesn't sound very fun.

Web Wheeler!
    my story is a water pump with a few pissed off hotel managers standing beside me still didnt get it in yet cause they wouldnt leave me alone to finish

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    What Hotel are you at?
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    It doesn't top the timing chain by much. That doesn't sound very fun.
    It wasn't and I had to improvise a harmonic dampner puller with some metal pipe and a drill and some bolts. You can call me mofo'n Macgyver and stuff.

Web Wheeler!
    mainstay in robinson i put it back together and moved it to the back corner and had to take the pump back so i got a new pump and im gonna start wrenching tmro afternoon

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieJeeper View Post
    Ok run down on the overheat going from common to more advance problems:
    1.) You have a new t-stat in it- I am going to make the assumption A)that it was installed correctly with out plastering it with RTV B) if it had a wobble valve it was installed in the 12' oclock position. C) there are no gross or obvious leaks. D) You have a fan shroud on the rig

2.) Check your belts for proper tension- a glazed, cracked, or poorly tensioned belt can casue a squeal and not drive the w.pump at proper velocity.

3.) Take the belts off and try and wobble the waterpump pulley at the 12, 6, 3, and 9 positions- if there is any real noticeable movement the impeller shaft bearing is shot and the impeller is lilkey hitting the housing inside the pump casuing your squeal.

4.) Check the weep hold just behind the mating flange of the pump to see if there is trailing of coolant- usual first sign of a bad pump

5.) With the belts still off check to see if the mechanical fan clutch spins with drag or no drag or if the silicone/hydra grease is leaked out if it spins like a top or leaks like aciv the clutch is bad. IF your rig has an electric fan make sure it is coming on when it should.

6.) Ok thats all fine Scott now what? Get an IR non contact thermometer run the rig up to operating temp at idle, check the core of the radiator for signs of a clogged rad- if you have a 190 t.stat is should roughly be around 190 range give or take 10 or so degrees, if you have 3/4 of the core at 200-210 and there is a section at 80 you have a clogged rad or it is calcium choked.

7.) Still overheats? Time to do a compresion test to really quickly see if you have a blown head or head gasket- compresion ok? Go to #8, If not Ok do a cylinder leak down test to see where the leak/loss of compression is from. Check your oil for milky brown contamination a sure sign of an internal coolant leak.

8.) Check the catatlytic converter- if the TWC is clogged from running it around for the last 9 years with your check engine light on and pouring raw fuel through your exhaust it might have posioned the TWC and the monolith might be breaking apart or clogged- forcing exhaust gases back into the engine and header and boiling coolant in the head. This is a FAST way to blow your head gasket.

9.) Punt

There should be a DIY or trouble shooting or Write up Section.. and this could be in it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It really is sad that stupidity isn't as painful for the stupid as it is for those forced to witness it!"

Web Wheeler!
    i finally got at it again and almost got it out come to find out that i have to take the powersteering bracket off to fully remove the water pump which is a P.I.T.A i will say so saturday will be crunch time and it should be out by then and should have the new one it sunday fingers crossed i dont run into anymore problems lol

lol, there are a few write ups online about it, makes it 15X easier.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Thread Information