Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

M35A2 Part 5: Bobbed deuce going to a new home in TX - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M35A2 Part 5: Bobbed deuce going to a new home in TX

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    No luck on jerry can mounts. The guy me n Pat visited today thought he had one but couldn't find it.

He has jerry cans and so does my buddy so hopefully those will be available for cheap once everyone digs them out.

I think sethman on here also might have some he would sale.

I scored 4 tires with decent tread, no rot, a complete dash with only a few gauges missing, lot's of nice data plates, a fiberglass top for $100 that needs a little work, and the long fender to cover my secondary fuel tank. Good day! I only spent $200.

Pat picked up a HEMMT wheel but the real score was Pat's dad who randomly became the owner of a 5 ton dump truck on 14.00 bridge truck NDT tires. Score.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I would have bought it if I had a way to haul it home (no brakes). The old man is bringing it home with the lowboy next week. Deal of the century. The cab protector is in the bed.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

Pick this up over by Mt. Pleasan High School? I saw it over there a few months ago, didn't know it was for sale.
    72 Jeep Commando, 401, Auto, Swampers, Locked...

Yup! It was such a deal too. I was going to buy it for parts and scrap if Pat's dad didn't buy it.

There might not be room in the budget for new pants, but there is always room in the budget for more MV junk...

And a glamor shot...

Finally getting the pyro installed today. I got the two turbo to exhaust manifold bolts out, but the studs close to the motor broke. I heated them cherry red and quenched them with a candle and the wax let them come right out.

I already got the turbo to manifold exhaust gasket and the turbo oil line gaskets but I can see my oil return hose is in bad shape so I found it can be replaced with Cummins PN 3818267. Penn View Equipment on Rt 22 has them for $11.43. I'd bet Cleveland Brothers in New Stanton has them too but they're closed today. Basically a 1" ID by 6" long silicone hose.

The turbo looks great inside so I'll be setting up the pryo and tweaking the fuel asap!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Mo Powa!
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Secondary fuel tank has a long fender matching the original on the passenger side:

Dash is looking nice with some cleaner data plates and some gauges. The pyrometer is plumbed into the exhaust manifold and wired now. This weekend I will do some fuel adjustment testing if I get the front axle seals replaced.

The two silver switches under my fuel gauge are for power to the secondary tank's pump and an on-off-on switch to read the fuel level in both tanks. The added gauges are the boost gauge, secondary fuel filter pressure, and the small silver gauge is the primary fuel filter pressure, which isn't plumbed yet. I made a nice little sheet metal bracket for the pyrometer and next to it I mounted the air shift transfercase control, but the case isn't swapped in yet. That is there to remind me to keep working on it.

I ordered all the front axle seals from rockwelloffroad.com when I noticed I had a torn boot and a knuckle seeing axle fluid. That should be fun.

I did some picking last weekend and I got a jerry can mount for $10 at one place and then for $100 I got a complete take-off radiator, new air comp belt, take off rad hose set, 2 alcohol evaporator used kits, 2 NOS front brake hoses, 2 deuce hub seals and 1 24v LED dash bulb. yee haw. also included in that were 12 seals I thought were for my hubs but they are for a 5 ton 900 series truck so I'll trade those for something else for my truck.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 04-16-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Seeing all the threads on SS about different bed cranes got me hunting the local craigslist for one. I think I got lucky and I scored this heavy duty looking Stratton hydro-pneumatic bed crane for $150. I had to drive an hour and meet a guy at 1am after he got off work to get it but I think it's worth it. Hopefully I can get it working this weekend. It has a big, heavy base with a nice swivel mount. I hope to get the puppy mounted and running off the truck's air supply asap.

Pictures tomorrow, this is just a teaser!

Ohhhh man that's sweet! We've been looking for a smaller one that we can make removeable with minimal footprint for the green dodge, make it easier to load big rounds of firewood into it. We haven't decided yet if we're gonna snag one from harbor freight or keep looking. That thing will be awesome for ya since now ya can load 55gal drums easy haha.
    94 YJ MTO

Pictures up on SS if you have an account there. If not, have to wait till later.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-m...bed-crane.html

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Interesting. That will be nice if it works. Think you will have enough stroke on it for the height of the bed?

Video of it working...

http://youtu.be/uImWhST2a3g

It works! There some leaks that need addressed but I might have a winner here. Lift height is 73" max. I'll have to put a limiting strap on it for use under a cargo cover.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 04-22-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Sweet!
    94 YJ MTO

Played with the fuel a little today. Max temp without any adjustments was 970F. Turned the nut and got it up to 1025F and the truck had a little more pick up. I think I'll turn it up so it runs just south of 1150F.

Is it rollin coal now? LOL
    94 YJ MTO

Idk, I can't see the stack when I'm driving.

PghOffRoad Regular
    My neighbor got a kick out of seeing your duece today. I appreciate you stopping by.

My pleasure, spreading OD green joy and cheer everywhere I go!

SCORE

Today a guy drove from Philly and traded me a complete M35A3 electric wiper set-up that will bolt on my deuce for my fiberglass hard top I bought the other weekend!

This past weekend I replaced the driver side front axle hub boot and other seals and repacked the bearings. The old zipper booth was leaking at the zipper. I got a 1 piece silicone boot and the other seals from rockwelloffroad.com. Everything looked good in that side so I'll hold off doing the passenger side until the boot leaks or something.

Then I put on all newer 9.00x20 NDTs. No more bald and cracking tires.

I started gearing up to put in the electric wipers but that will wait till next weekend.

I also changed the motor oil. 6 gallons of Rotella 15w-40, 2 Luber Finer canister filters, and a mess in the driveway later that was done. I can't wait to get spin on oil filter adapters.

I gave the fuel screw one more adjustment and got it perfect. Max temp is about 1160F and I can't believe how much more pick up the truck has. I'm a lot better off pulling out and taking hills now. Top speed is still the same but thats ok.

Today I ordered a 12v alternator mounting kit from TM America on Steel Soldiers for $60.95. The kit will let me bolt on a Delco 10SI 12v alternator. I have one off of my truggy, so I will use that and make up a 12v system for a radio, CB, cig outlets, and maybe a small winch on the bed crane if I want to go that way with it.

Info on adding the 12v system with the 24v system:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-m...2v-set-up.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-m...some-pics.html

Where to order kit:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/parts-s...-brackets.html

The part number for the belt is 7127 and the numbers on the belt are 84550, 6855, 4L55, and l4550, but pretty much any 55 inch long 1/2 inch wide belt will work with the 12v alt kit from TM America.

Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 05-05-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Yesterday I found out my girlfriend is good at washing and spray painting.

I had a good time Friday and today down at the Aberdeen military vehicle rally and swap meet, which is more swap meet and milsurp flee market than rally.

My haul was a stretcher for the CJ, 6 jerry cans, 3 jerry can holders, 1 camo cargo cover for the deuce, 1 tail gate ladder for the deuce, and 1 strap for the back of the deuce to keep the troops from falling out.

The rest of the pictures from the rally and the Aberdeen ordnance museum are here:

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...aberdeen%2012/

It was worth the trip just to see the bobbed deuces and the tanks at the ordnance museum.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Those are some serious cannons. I like the pic of the battle scar on the tank. Was that a US tank?
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

Trail Leader
    Wish I knew you were going Josh as would have had you pick me up a couple Jerry can holders. Still Looking,,,lol
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]If it has Wheels and involves dirt...I can Break it!!

Red Jeep Club Member #640
    Z.O.R.U. #300[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thread Information