Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
So I bought a tow rig

Thread: So I bought a tow rig

PghOffRoad Regular

So I bought a tow rig

04 GMC Sierra 2500
    Duramax & 6 spd manual
    39k miles fully loaded
    banks intercooler, southbend clutch and flywheel, 8" fabtech lift with airbags, 37's with 20's.

its a bit big for what i want it for, which is to drive and tow the blazer. i plan on dropping it down to 6" lift and 35's down the road. it came with a banks six gun tuner, a diablo tuner, and a twin turbo kit that needs a few things which is all gonna get sold. gonna put an MBRP exhaust, S&B intake, and an EFI Live tune. im not looking for big power, just reliability so i can tow what i need to.

let me know what ya think.
    90 GMC Jimmy 1 tons and 44's

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    You better just go ahead and put some traction bars on it now or your gonna hate life...
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Twins would be nice for towing
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

PghOffRoad Regular
    the turbo for the twin kit was in a garage that flooded, so im not sure if its trashed or needs rebuilt. i just got the kit in a the bed with the truck. same with the diablo and six gun, the six gun was in a box and he hooked the diablo up and took it back to stock. im gonna look into traction bars too. i dont plan on beatin on it, i just hope nothin breaks til then.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Wow! A 6 speed. Niiiiccceee! I have an 05 with the allison, but would love to find a manual. Nice truck!
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Quote Originally Posted by brooks294x4 View Post
    the turbo for the twin kit was in a garage that flooded, so im not sure if its trashed or needs rebuilt. i just got the kit in a the bed with the truck. same with the diablo and six gun, the six gun was in a box and he hooked the diablo up and took it back to stock. im gonna look into traction bars too. i dont plan on beatin on it, i just hope nothin breaks til then.
    i know of some people...find out what size the turbos are and ill make some calls.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Trail Leader
    That is a nice looking rig as it sets, but it would look better on 35s. Where on earth did you find a Dmax with the 6 speed tho??
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    My buddy had a maroon one, they aren't that rare, I seem to see quite a few running around. There are alot in westmoreland county it seems
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Let me preface this by saying I have never driven a manual Dmax, but a plumber I use for work has one and he hates the damn thing. Says 1st and reverse are way to high. I dunno, but I do know they derate the hell out of the diesels for manuals. Nice fawking truck tho !!!
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Regular
    a craigslist find actually, in Midland PA. the stock clutches are junk in these things, and they have a dual mass flywheel. so stock they are not that great to drive. with the southbend setup tho, its like drivin a cummins, just pulls out when you let out. 1st and reverse too high??? ya never use 1st in these things, i can easily pull out in 3rd with 37's.

and manuals werent that uncommon from 01-05, but you had to special order it if you want it to have power options. rubber floors and manual locks/windows were standard with a manual tranny. i just got lucky i guess, patience paid off since ive been looking for a diesel for 2 years now.

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    does that chevy have a body lift on it?

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    My buddy had a maroon one, they aren't that rare, I seem to see quite a few running around. There are alot in westmoreland county it seems
    They're pretty rare around my house then, I've never seen or even heard of any one owning one around my area. All of the ones around here are backed by the Allison.
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

PghOffRoad Regular
    no body lift, all suspension. previous owner had a body lift and 40's on it but said he kept gettin pulled over, go figure.

also duramax's with a stick seem more rare for the fact that cummins and powerstrokes were plentiful in them.

Haha I thought I saw that truck around town. I didn't know it was a 6 speed. It's a nice ride. Sans them wheels.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Regular
    hey justin'sbig7, would ya be interested in a Diablosport tuner or a Banks Six Gun?

http://www.xtremediesel.com/diablosp...mmeru7185.aspx

http://www.xtremediesel.com/bankspow...uner63717.aspx banks also has the speed loader, but i have to take the egt sensor out still.

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    does it say 2004 on the title? 03 was the last of the manuals.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

I am running an edge juice with attitude and am pretty happy with it. But thanks anyhow!

There was a guy who bought some jtruck axles from me, had an 05 with the 6speed in it, i think they were available for order at least till the body style change
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

^Yup that guy I knew had a newer one, 05 or 06
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    My sister has an '06 cab and chassis with s manual. Never seen a regular truck with one after 03.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Is it an LB7 or LLY? Depending on which motor there are some things to look out for. Several are some easy free fixes that will keep you from being stranded on the side of the road.

I love my '05. Its the allison. When I was looking I test drove several of the manuals, didn't like them. They didn't seem to match the engine. I found the Allison to drive much better (and I'm a stick shift kind of guy, almost all my other vehicles have been standards)

Also running an Edge Juice /w Attitude and love the extra punch and tuneability. Plus MBRP exhaust, including down pipe. Huge difference from stock.

I also reccomend fabbing up some traction bars. My truck without a lift has more hop than I like, I couldn't imagine towing with that much lift and no bars.

PghOffRoad Regular
    its an LLY motor, its gettin a 5 inch turbo back stainless exhaust in a month or so, im also gettin in touch with Fabtech later today to see how much work its gonna be to take it down to a 6 inch lift so I can run 35's. still will add traction bars in the future.

and I work at a GM dealer and I do diesel work, so i know mostly what to look for on them. seems the 04-05 trucks have had more head gasket issues than the newer models, but if it does, thats just a reason to put ARP studs on.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    LLY's - Overheating, injector wire plug, harnes rub, water pump before 200K, and head gaskets if you overheat them and/or tune them too high. For the most part very reliable engines. I wish I had the 2006-2007 but 2005 was the newest I could afford at the time. But they have their quirks too.

There are a number of other things you can do that really help the engine breath and improve longetivity. The LLY turbo mouthpiece sucks, switch it to the LBZ mouthpiece. The PCV dumps right into the mouthpiece, when I changed my mouthpiece the old one was caked with 1/4" or better of oil/dirt. Reroute the pcv to atmosphere. EGR is easy to block if you want, I didn't.

I just struggled through the #7 injector wire plug. I did the ice pick fix and it lasted about 6 months, but eventually it quit working completely. GM wants over $200 for a new plug. I bought a new plug off Rock Auto for $20 and soldered it in, good as new!
    About 2 years ago I ice picked the #2 plug and it has been fine ever since.

My truck runs hot, but I can't say I have an overheating problem. You sure do notice it though when the temps get above 220 and the fan kicks in hard. Sucks the life out of it. And my whole front end was recently replaced so it's a design problem not a problem with my truck. Happens more than I like, but when I'm towing my GCW is up around 22K lbs so I'm not easy on it.

PghOffRoad Regular
    i have done the injector wires and head gaskets a bit, water pumps ocasionally.

i have rebuilt so many front ends on these trucks over the last 2 years (gaswell trucks) that i think i could do it in my sleep. it needs a idler arm and alignment now. mine does get up to about 210 but usually when you have head gasket issues, it will blow coolant out of the overflow.

Thread Information