Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Heads up on upcoming changes*

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar

*Heads up on upcoming changes*

Everyone,

I'm making this a thread instead of an "announcement" so you can respond to it, I'm always open to input. As you know I've run this place and hosted it for free for about 6+ years, including paying for the software and donating my time. It will remain free, but I'm about to start making changes to monetize the site a bit. I know I've talked about it before, but changes in my life are making me realize that this now needs to become a reality.

My fiancee and I are selling both of our houses, and moving into her parents basement so that we can build my business (EchoSystems.US) in such a way that doesn't rely on me being available 24/7 - it is killing me being so busy. Eventually we’ll be building a bigger house with a bigger garage, but priority 1 is building the business in a way that it can stand on its own, without me taking care of everything. I say this because as I've been going through bills, I realize that I need to at least make changes to this site to make it break-even at a minimum. The possibility of living in a basement for years has been an eye-opener that I need to cut out any non-necessary spending, and this site has been an expense on my personal bottom line.

I am not looking for pity or donations, but announcing this because I don't want anything thinking I'm trying to steal money back from the Jeeping community - but there are changes starting today that will start bringing in money to compensate for running it, plain and simple.

So here's the down low:
    1. This site will ALWAYS be free to post and read as a user and for personal jeep parts for sale - I will never change that.
    2. I wil be adding options for both "supporting vendors" and "supporting users. These are optional, but will include the ability to change your own user title, have more PM space, upload pictures to the server, etc. I will also have a FREE premium account for any legally organized offroad club - in order to promote themselves on here, post about events and their group, etc. I want Pittsburgh Offroad to be an organizing venue for other clubs, free of charge, given that they are a real club and not a competing website (think Pit4x4 for those that were around for that fiasco.)
    3. I will be adding both banner ads, and ad-based links within the posts. I am going to attempt to make these show up only for non-supporting members, and have them "disappear" for anyone who is helping out
    4. There will be a server change: I'm currently hosting this on shared hosting from my business account, and vbulletin has grown to the point it is taxing the SQL database past what shared hosting is stable for. I will be upping this site to a dedicated server in order to make the premium features worthwhile. This will involve downtime to be announced at a later date.
    5. There will be a "Pittsburgh Offroad" online store soon. I know everyone has been asking for it, but with me fixing up 2 houses to sell, building an apartment in my future in-laws basement, not to mention moving my business to new office space - I simply haven't had the time. But it will happen in February. I know that some folks have "stock" leftover from other pgh-or products in the past, if you want to unload it send me a PM, and depending how this works out I might buy it off of you to get this rolling and take it off your hands.

To sumarize: this is a good thing for the group, but I wanted to emphesize why these changes are coming about before anyone gets their panties in a bunch. Knowing this site will no longer be a drain on my wallet (and free time) will force me to get off my @$$ and make the changes I've been talking up for years.

-Matt

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I can host it if youd like to save you a whole lot of work and adding ads, and needing money.
    I can help admin as well.

Otherwise, let me know how I can help.

Cool! Good luck!

Thanks for the offer - but to do what I have planned for this place I'll really need to dedicate a lot of resources, and would prefer to maintain control of the database. We grew MallCrawlin to the point where we were kicked off of shared and even VPS hosting, when you have lots of supporting members with lots of photo's taxing the database, the server load is obnoxious, I want to move it to a box I have control of and be done with it essentially.

Getting kicked off the server wouldnt be an issue. Either way, I understand.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I've been free-loading here for a long time. I'll throw in 25 bucks or whatever to be a supporting member. Throw out a paypal address and watch it rain.

I concur this is about the only site that puts up with my senseless ramblings...
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

If you want to really make this place big, other than the advertisments,... classifieds! That's just my uneducated opinion but a good, solid, properly organized, east coast classifieds section would be tits!

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I've been free-loading here for a long time. I'll throw in 25 bucks or whatever to be a supporting member. Throw out a paypal address and watch it rain.
    x2! I haven't spent much on my xj lately so i got lots of $$ to share with you if you need it!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    You know damn well i'll pay a supporting membership fee. I agree with Tom about the classifieds thing that would be a great addition.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    What kind of classifieds are we talking here that is different from what we have now?

Just don't switch to "pay to use" classifieds like steel soldiers does. That is annoying.

No, that's not what I meant Josh. I don't have anything worked out but I think the two biggest classifieds sections that I know of are PBB (West Coast) and GreatLakes4x4 (Great Lakes). I personally hate the way Greatlakes is setup but it gets a lot of traffic.

Properly categorized would be the key to making it work.

In my head I'm thinking of a sort of offroad craigslist. I've thought about pursuing something like that myself but I don't have the knowledge, time, or interest. Plus I'd rather buy shit...lol
    Last edited by Deadman 94 xj; 01-31-2012 at 06:23 PM.

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    I'll become a supporting vendor

Im interested in being a supporting vendor possibly... Member definitely. What kind of prices are you thinking?
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Something along this line is about how I feel, I may be a broke ass import owner but would throw some coin in so I can keep reading about meet and greets and wheelin I never make it to

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    I would be interested in being a vendor as well once I get the CNC Plasma side of the business to a point where I'm ready to start advertising!!

Trail Leader
    Me and the bride are in as far as Supporting Members. Just let me know the same as far as the $$$$. Maybe a perk of a "Hoodie" for paid,,,LOL. I know, I sound like Fred...Post up the address for PayPal.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]If it has Wheels and involves dirt...I can Break it!!

Red Jeep Club Member #640
    Z.O.R.U. #300[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Web Wheeler!
    ill pay for supporting member, no big deal, love this site and the people ive met so far on it!
    94' yj 4" springs lift boom shackles, 8.8 lsd

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    I'll become a supporting vendor
    Sweet - please send.... one milllion dollars.

Ok maybe that joke got old. I only have a draft for a fee schedule for memberships so far, I'll have it up in a couple of weeks at this rate, have some testing to do!

This site is going to go to shit and become ridden with popups and advertisements! It's going to become heavily censored and everyone's going to leave! This is just going to turn into another Vertical Scope-like debacle!

I'm organizing a new wheeling club -- OIAS (Overkill Is A Sellout). Please set me up with a free premium account to advertise the club. I'll forward you the incorporation information once it filters through the state.

Seriously, though. I know you have been talking about it for a while now and it definitely makes sense to at least try to make the site break even. I'll pony up for a supporting membership when the time comes since I've gotten a lot out of this site and made some good friends over the years. Plus we just had an offer accepted on a house, so I know how it is saving up -- and it looks like your ambitions are much larger than mine when it comes to houses
    Last edited by SirFuego; 02-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Massive life changing steps, holy crap! Best of luck on all that, sounds like you are going for it, good for you man.

Agree with all above - I'll pay for supporting membership for sure. Pic hosting and such would be great. Do it!

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    I am down with "making it rain" just let us know when and where to send the money.

Oh by the way are you going to take Starfleet credits? Or pesos?
    Last edited by DixieJeeper; 02-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    "Mixing my hobby with my profession sucked- thats why I wheeled my toolbox home- to jeep more."

I was hoping for shekels!
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    It's all about the rubels!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! Bird_Flu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    This site is going to go to shit and become ridden with popups and advertisements! It's going to become heavily censored and everyone's going to leave! This is just going to turn into another Vertical Scope-like debacle!

I'm organizing a new wheeling club -- OIAS (Overkill Is A Sellout). Please set me up with a free premium account to advertise the club. I'll forward you the incorporation information once it filters through the state.

Seriously, though. I know you have been talking about it for a while now and it definitely makes sense to at least try to make the site break even. I'll pony up for a supporting membership when the time comes since I've gotten a lot out of this site and made some good friends over the years. Plus we just had an offer accepted on a house, so I know how it is saving up -- and it looks like your ambitions are much larger than mine when it comes to houses
    Note his user name and you get an idea of the kind of house Matt wants!! And he got me hooked on one as well, hoping I can scrimp and save enough to get my family into a house half the size of the one Matt wants. Seriously though, Matt this is long overdue, make it happen buddy, you know I'm willing to help if need be.
    Want unlimited cell service, talk, text and web for $49 a month? Ask me how
    http://www.solavei.com/jjenkins101201

Michael Scott
    : Happy birthday, Jesus. Sorry your party is so lame!

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Considering that DC voted for Marion Barry after seeing him on video smoking crack with a hooker, I say the less input they have in our system, the better.

Thread Information