Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking to buy a handgun, need help.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodRN View Post
    K-frame Smith is not a small frame revolver. The J-frame is the small frame, the N-frame and X-frames are larger (left the L out). A K-frame Smith is an excellent choice for a first handgun, especially shooting standard velocity .38s. I carried a K-frame Smith .357 on the job for 16 years. It worked very well for me, in fact, it's why I'm still here.
    When most people go to look at a .38, they are looking at J-frames. Even with a KFrame, reloading, recoil management, grip, all those take a bit longer to master. Unless you dont have the hand strength to pull back a slide (and even then, its usually a matter of technique), I would stick to a medium frame auto like a glock, M&P, XD, or the ruger that he decided on.

And even then... its all about how that thing points naturally in your hand. I know for a fact that a glock auto in my hands points just a hair high when naturally bringing it to eye level. A sig 226 points dead center on. An XD, points a bit off in odd ways.

Its all about the hand and the eye. But I see to many people making the mistake of getting a revolver for a first gun. There are reasons to do so, but I dont think they are common reasons, and usually not great reasons either.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Start with a heavy purse for self defense. Learn to manage the follow through of the swing and the recoil. It's all in the hips.

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    I think you guys just pushed me over the edge to go get the SR9C sooner than later. Dang good looking gun. Slide seemed a little stiff in the shop but I'm heard it loosens up a little over time.

I have the SR40 and love it. Just an FYI the SR40c is about $100 cheaper than the 9. Although. Ammo runs more on the 40
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Start with a heavy purse for self defense. Learn to manage the follow through of the swing and the recoil. It's all in the hips.
    This
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

The best gun to have is the one that you have with you.
    Lots of bad guys were made good with a round nose 38 special.
    If I had a choice mine would be a .45.
    If you don't plan to spend alot of time and money breaking in and practicing drills with a semi automatic, buy a double action revolver. Stupid simple, rugged and reliable.
    '88 YJ
    too many mods to list
    Just Empty Every Pocket

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    No, you have to practice more with a revolver, becasue of sharp recoil, slow reloading. And if you arent buying some $2000 hotrod 1911, there isnt much of a breakin period on any modern striker fired pistol.

To each their own I guess. I just have yet to find a shooter who didnt develop bad habits and a flinch from shooting a revolver of a higher caliber than .22 as their first gun.

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    No, you have to practice more with a revolver, becasue of sharp recoil, slow reloading. And if you arent buying some $2000 hotrod 1911, there isnt much of a breakin period on any modern striker fired pistol.

To each their own I guess. I just have yet to find a shooter who didnt develop bad habits and a flinch from shooting a revolver of a higher caliber than .22 as their first gun.
    Have you spent much time actually using a revolver? A four inch medium frame revolver is probably the best first handgun for a novice. They are simple to operate, rugged, and safe. You can use anything from full-power .357 magnums to .38 wadcutters depending on the skill of the shooter, or the mission at hand. You don't need to worry about magazine malfunctions. Anyone who thinks a revolver is slow to load never saw Jerry Miculek load one. I carry a "modern" striker-fired handgun daily, not because I prefer it, but because it's what my agency issues. Prior to that, I carried a .357 magnum revolver on the job for 15 years. That inaccurate, slow-to-load antiquated boat anchor brought me home to my family on two occasions. To each their own, but I still think that a good .357 magnum revolver (med. frame) is an extremely versatile handgun and a great choice for a first handgun.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    ^ You just plain can't beat a good double action wheelgun...
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Have you spent much time actually using a revolver? A four inch medium frame revolver is probably the best first handgun for a novice. They are simple to operate, rugged, and safe. You can use anything from full-power .357 magnums to .38 wadcutters depending on the skill of the shooter, or the mission at hand. You don't need to worry about magazine malfunctions. Anyone who thinks a revolver is slow to load never saw Jerry Miculek load one. I carry a "modern" striker-fired handgun daily, not because I prefer it, but because it's what my agency issues. Prior to that, I carried a .357 magnum revolver on the job for 15 years. That inaccurate, slow-to-load antiquated boat anchor brought me home to my family on two occasions. To each their own, but I still think that a good .357 magnum revolver (med. frame) is an extremely versatile handgun and a great choice for a first handgun.
    Ive owned a few, and shot more. My first gun was a .357 Mag Ruger. And I dont know about you, but find me one person in a hundred that is 1/8th as fast as Jerry Miculek, who used a VERY highly customized rig and moon clips. Not your average wheelgun.

Facts are fact. Revolvers have more felt recoil and muzzle rise. They are heavier, and hold less ammo. The trigger weight on most anything that is not a competition or show gun is much higher than any stock semi. (Which is one of the reasons NYC cops cant shoot worth a damn, because they have 12-15lb trigger Glocks to mimic the .38s they used to carry). Plus, other than some oddball large frame guns, and some newer medium framed guns (like the .327 mag Ruger) you got 5 or 6 shots. Great, until you realize you need 8. Or 9. Because your second shot was 12in higher on the target and your 3rd was somewhere down the block, because adrenaline kicks in and that trigger starts pulling and the recoil keeps going.

Or, you have a Rhino, and you just have to worry about the trigger mech jamming up on the oddball disconnector.

Or you have a Mateba and most of that argument is moot, but you are carrying the equivalent of a living dodo bird.

Revolvers make fine guns, but somewhere along the line the tech and ergonomics, and the reliability, was much outpaced by modern machining. And ive seen revolvers lock up, come from the factory with issues, and in a few cases 944 mag rugers) shoot the barrel off. That might be interesting to have happen in a gunfight, but ii would leave it to the moves.

And if you haven't put a box or two into that pistol and tested out those magazines, you probably havent practiced enough to be carrying it. Revolver or autoloader. (I am of the belief that you should endeavor to shoot 1000 rnds a year of your carry caliber.)

My point is.. revolvers are not as easy to be proficient with as an autoloader.

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    FWIW I agree with this point. I find my .38 Special to be quite accurate, moreso than my autos with most factory loads. Simple design, easy to clean/maintain, reliable. I've never had my .38 jam or even a FTF that I remember. All of my autos have stovepiped or FTF/FTE at some point or another. Cock the hammer and the trigger pull is quite light on the .38. Even with DA, the trigger is about on par with my Sigma (which could be seen as a knock on the Sigma rather than a plus for the wheelie, I know).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of auto's and that's what I carry. But a lot of people that have tried shooting for the first time when I'm around seem less intimidated by the .38 revolver than an auto when shooting, they can see how it all works I guess. To blanket dismiss a revolver as a good first gun doesn't really seem logical to me - that's strictly my opinion and I'm not trying to rip on anyone who thinks otherwise. And hopefully 6 shots is plenty to get you out of a bad situation, provided you train as you should.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    nowhere near my first but i just orderd a walther pps in .40 cal, well see how she does.

As far as a first gun, you get something quality, revolver or auto, and some good tips, training you should be fine. Practice is key
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Thread Information