Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New CTD in the driveway!

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    i want vids after your done. hopefully i'll be able to do mine soon.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Less posting, more wheeling!
    nothing really to vid, not rolling coal or anything, youre welcome to come take it for a scoot up the road to see if you like it. i am running the mid tune on the smartyjr (still pretty mild), with everything i did tonight it runs like a crazed warlock. i think im going to tune it down to the first over stock tune. totally different truck and id say its got more snot than the duramax with the edge now. its still pretty quiet while cruising but has a nice note to the exhaust (not annoying) ill have to see how it tows, but im fairly confident that it will do just fine.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    nothing really to vid, not rolling coal or anything, youre welcome to come take it for a scoot up the road to see if you like it. i am running the mid tune on the smartyjr (still pretty mild), with everything i did tonight it runs like a crazed warlock. i think im going to tune it down to the first over stock tune. totally different truck and id say its got more snot than the duramax with the edge now. its still pretty quiet while cruising but has a nice note to the exhaust (not annoying) ill have to see how it tows, but im fairly confident that it will do just fine.
    He was like a little kid at Christmas time when we finally got the exhaust on and fired it up. Its a beautiful truck and it runs pretty darn good with the tuner set on mild, has a nice exhaust note also. Wouldn't be suprised if you see him dragging the trailer around just for sh1ts and giggles haha.
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Awesome brother!

Sucks about the warranty thing, but at the end of the day that doesn't mean anything if you hate living with the truck just to keep said warranty.

I waana hear it. They don't even sound like a diesel stock

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Quote Originally Posted by YZEATER View Post
    I waana hear it. They don't even sound like a diesel stock
    With the variable vane turbo on the newer ones, they kinda have their own sound. It doesnt sound like the old 12v and the turbo isnt constantly spooling so the whistle isnt predominant. Its hard to describe, the exhaust brake on the other hand sounds awesome.

Thanks again for helpin out shane!
    F T W

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Can't you set up the tuner to close the vanes on decel do it becomes an engine brake?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

It has the exh brake from the factory. Sounds like a semi on decel lol!

Took it on a 60 mile trip so far today, the exhaust is nice. It has a nice tone that lets you know its there but no drone and its not stupid loud like some ive heard.
    F T W

I really think im going to go back to the 0 power tune (just running the deletes) this is an animal when the chokes are pulled
    F T W

Damn you Justin, damn you......

Maybe we can get a group buy on a h&s Chris!

-'15 dmax

I have been dealing with thoroughbred diesel for everything. They are a cummins performance shop that started out building performance diesel trucks and then moved to selling parts online. They have treated me very well in price, and tech support is awesome from these floks. They know these engines in and out and actually steered me into a less expensive setup than i originally called for based on what i wanted the end result to be.
    F T W

Trail Leader
    You're welcome, howd it do on your little road trip?
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s

It ran the hills without working, the exhaust is not terribly loud. It was an awesome improvement
    F T W

Trail Leader
    Glad to hear it, so when are you going to load the jeep up and try Brady hill again?

that is all after driving it so far this week!
    F T W

Well, i filled it up today... Hand calculated, same station and pump, i got 18.4 mpg (computer said 18.1). I am running the tow tune (70hp) it has gobs of power!
    F T W

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    My computer is usually pretty close. Was that mostly city or highway driving?

I've noticed my mpg falls off pretty quick if I go above 70mph. 65 seems to be the sweet spot.

Lately I've been getting around 18-19 city and 24-25 highway.
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

that was back and forth to work. mostly backroads with a stint on the highway and a fair amount of 50-60 mph 2 lane.

going by the driving coach thingy highway driving is not friendly over 60, it drops quickly especially if theres any kind of a hill.
    F T W

Trail Leader
    Mine is completely stock, gets 16-17 in town and a little over 20 on the big road, depending on my speed. As long as I keep it between 1800-2000 rpm I'm fine, much over 2000 and I'm watching the gauge fall. Mine is an auto with 3.73s, 2000 rpm gets me about 70 mph. I may get a Smarty Jr. before we get into towing season (camper), although the truck pulls fine without it. One of my friends told me that the Smarty dropped his EGTs by around 200 degrees, which would come in handy for our frequent trips to eastern WV.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by HoodRN View Post
    Mine is completely stock, gets 16-17 in town and a little over 20 on the big road, depending on my speed. As long as I keep it between 1800-2000 rpm I'm fine, much over 2000 and I'm watching the gauge fall. Mine is an auto with 3.73s, 2000 rpm gets me about 70 mph. I may get a Smarty Jr. before we get into towing season (camper), although the truck pulls fine without it. One of my friends told me that the Smarty dropped his EGTs by around 200 degrees, which would come in handy for our frequent trips to eastern WV.
    is yours the 5.9 or 6.7?

I was playing hard yesterday (i got the vizion guages) and basically just let it pull as hard as it would up lick hill... boost hit about 23psi and my egts max were 963* and it was pulling like no tomorrow. my duramax would run 1100* without trying much, so I am pretty hapy with that pyrometer reading.

stock before all the work the best mpg i got was 15.7
    F T W

Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    is yours the 5.9 or 6.7?

I was playing hard yesterday (i got the vizion guages) and basically just let it pull as hard as it would up lick hill... boost hit about 23psi and my egts max were 963* and it was pulling like no tomorrow. my duramax would run 1100* without trying much, so I am pretty hapy with that pyrometer reading.

stock before all the work the best mpg i got was 15.7
    Where are you picking up the EGT numbers at? I have my manifold tapped near the #3 cylinder and typically see 1100 if pulling hard getting onto the highway/etc. Just crusing at 60 it levels out around 6-700.

Its also good to see the smarty doesnt up the boost much with the tune. I've seen around the same boost numbers (for brief periods of time) and my trucks 100% stock, haha.

Again though, damn you damn you damn you! I swore up and down I wasnt going to mess with this truck when I got it, but my opinions are starting to change. On a side note though, did either of you (Justin or Kurt) get a notice about the tie rod recall?

No, havent heard about that yet. My pyrometer is tapped into the egr blockoff plate pre turbo.

My thoughts on doing all of this is: egr causes dirt that hurts the longevity of the engine. Heat from a restrictive exhaust causes stresses on the engine. Most of the warranty issues seem to stem from thes things. Otherwise the engine is one of the most bulletproof diesels out there. So...
    F T W

I got the tie rod letter last week.

Come on Chris, lets place the order.

-'15 dmax

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    23 psi? Wow.... that's it? I think when it was stock my wastgate would open at 28-30. I have the wastegate bypassed with the smarty. Although anything over 35 isn't doing any good with my stock turbo. 1500 degrees is still possible with the smarty at high levels. Two things dropped my egts significantly, the timing change of the smarty and when my cat ran away.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

Thread Information