Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New CTD in the driveway!

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    is yours the 5.9 or 6.7?

I was playing hard yesterday (i got the vizion guages) and basically just let it pull as hard as it would up lick hill... boost hit about 23psi and my egts max were 963* and it was pulling like no tomorrow. my duramax would run 1100* without trying much, so I am pretty hapy with that pyrometer reading.

stock before all the work the best mpg i got was 15.7
    Mine is the 5.9L. Our camper only weighs a shade over 6K loaded, but we tend to spend most of our camping time away from the flatlands. I have the auto 48RE, so I'm doing the boost/pyro/trans combo for towing. I'm looking forward to better fuel economy on summer blend diesel, even though it'll likely be 5.00/gallon.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by mxg342 View Post
    23 psi? Wow.... that's it? I think when it was stock my wastgate would open at 28-30. I have the wastegate bypassed with the smarty. Although anything over 35 isn't doing any good with my stock turbo. 1500 degrees is still possible with the smarty at high levels. Two things dropped my egts significantly, the timing change of the smarty and when my cat ran away.
    Mine opened around 20psi stock.
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

Less posting, more wheeling!
    23 psi? Wow.... that's it? I think when it was stock my wastgate would open at 28-30. I have the wastegate bypassed with the smarty. Although anything over 35 isn't doing any good with my stock turbo. 1500 degrees is still possible with the smarty at high levels. Two things dropped my egts significantly, the timing change of the smarty and when my cat ran away.
    the guage is kinda small, coulda been 28. the cats are scared of my truck, they wont go near it either. it was nice to see the egt's stay low. Does yours have an EGR Matt?
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    Nope the 5.9L only had a cat.

Part of the reason for high EGT's on a stock setting are the injectors being used in the 2003 and newer trucks. They are actually spraying 3 times per stroke. There is a small charge at first to start the power stroke then the majority of the fuel is injected on the second spray. The final spray is another small puff that is timed at the end of the power stroke. This in turn puts a lot of heat (also lost energy) out the exhaust. The smarty changes the timing of the injections so for the same amount of fuel, the work is being done in the cylinder and not going out the exhaust.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZINHALFDOZZEN View Post
    Mine opened around 20psi stock.
    Maybe I'm wrong then. I have had the wastegate programmed out for probably 4 or 5 years now.

Trail Leader
    Nope the 5.9L only had a cat.

Part of the reason for high EGT's on a stock setting are the injectors being used in the 2003 and newer trucks. They are actually spraying 3 times per stroke. There is a small charge at first to start the power stroke then the majority of the fuel is injected on the second spray. The final spray is another small puff that is timed at the end of the power stroke. This in turn puts a lot of heat (also lost energy) out the exhaust. The smarty changes the timing of the injections so for the same amount of fuel, the work is being done in the cylinder and not going out the exhaust.
    Doesn't EFI Live allow you to program the 3rd injection event out? At this point I believe it's only available for the later model (06-07) 5.9 engines.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Not sure on the efi live. It wasn't available for dodges when I was into it.

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    Updates?

I ordered an exhaust today for mine. Will get the h+s programmer in a bit.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

18-19 mpg hand calculated, runs good never had an egt reading over 1000*. So far so good. 7k miles on it now. I would do the arp studs, lots of h+s guys seem to be cooking headgaskets and turbos. I dont pull on it till its up to temp and dont rip too hard on it ( untill i do headstuds)
    F T W

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Head gaskets and turbos exact reason I want to switch from ford. Is this only with tuned trucks?

Seems to be only with hot tuned and people who are constantly beating on the truck. Not allowing a warm up before tearing on it and not allowing turbo cooldown after.
    F T W

O my gosh. Juat got done doing a h&s mini maxx and 5" tbe straight pipe. What a difference. A clutch will be next i figure.

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

O my gosh. Just got done doing a h&s mini maxx and 5" tbe straight pipe. What a difference. A clutch will be next i figure.

-'15 dmax

Quote Originally Posted by YZEATER View Post
    O my gosh. Just got done doing a h&s mini maxx and 5" tbe straight pipe. What a difference. A clutch will be next i figure.
    Do you guys know of a good 3" cat back for a gasser?

J/K lol! Don't answer that.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Thread Information