Thread: Rudder kit or upgrade to kayak with rudder

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar

Rudder kit or upgrade to kayak with rudder

I was thinking about selling my 14' Woodsman kayak because it doesn't have a rudder, for about $250, and I was planning on buying my buddy's kayak for $800. It is a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 160 Pro with rudder ($2700 MSRP) in great shape. I have used it a few times and I'm in love with the rudder.

The Woodsman is no where near as nice of a kayak, but for all I do, I'm considering holding onto my Woodsman and buying this $200 rudder kit: http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Rudder...2765030&sr=8-9

It isn't intended for my kayak, but mine is "rudder ready" with the 2 screws on the back and the mounting locations for the foot tracks and everything else.

I might use my kayak once every other week during the summer, so I don't want to spend a ton on this self made dilemma. I'm just wondering if the rudder kit is a total pain in the rear and will never work right.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    i've never added a rudder, but i will say, it makes paddling so much more enjoyable. I keep looking at your boat wondering if i need a 3rd lol
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Trail Leader
    My brother's boat is a 17 foot Necky Looksha with a rudder. He loves it, especially in windy or rough conditions. It does add a lot of weight, and his boat is fairly hefty anyway. My boat is also a 17 footer, but it's glass and has a skeg. The skeg is also great in wind or rough water, but doesn't weigh as much and uses much less hardware. The Tsunami is a great kayak, we see a lot of them on the water. If you are planning on using your boat on open water, a rudder or skeg is useful. We have a 12 foot Pungo and a 10 foot Pamlico for farting around on the rivers. If you think a rudder will make your time on the water more enjoyable, go for it.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Thread Information