Thread: Its a Jeep thing right? Such a stupid saying but its true. 10th Jeep... Need opinions

Trail Leader

Its a Jeep thing right? Such a stupid saying but its true. 10th Jeep... Need opinions

Went to go look at a 97 wrangler 4 banger on cl yesterday..it was susposed to be in great shape.. just needed tires.. but it was a Rust bucket that was freaking BEAT.so im still in the market for a unBeat wrangler... that I can beat

been thinking offroad wise I should probally stick to an automatic 6cyl... Never had no issues with my cherokee's and on hill climbs and playing in the rocks its seems you got more control.. Agree?

or im thinking maybe get a 4 banger with a stick.. save some gas? Not building nothing more then 33's and a lift...and if I got a 4 banger get different gears..

so should I get a 4 banger with a stick? or a auto 6? with the main purpose of trail riding.. hills.. and mild rocks..
    93xj - best $200 dollars I ever spent
    91Xj - 33inch TSL's - Some Lift -- Trailer Queen- sold
    87xj - 33's 5 inch lift toy - sold
    99xj - 31's 4 inch lift to nice to beat so I sold it
    01xj - offroad bumpers lift n tires soon

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    auto 6 if you're going to drive it on the street.

and i hear ya. TJ's are insanely high right now
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

http://www.daveysjeeps.com/repairables/R750152.html

for 3500 bucks... find a trans/tcase and some body work and you have a helluva jeep
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

I would not count on the 4 cyl to save fuel. I get roughly the same mileage with my 6 speed 4.0 on 33s with 4:10 gears as I did with my 5 speed 2.5L with 4:10 gears on 31s. I prefer a standard off road. I think it gives more control on hills on the decent. In the rocks the auto may be easier but I think the standard is half the fun.

You won't get any better mileage with a 4cyl over the 6cyl in a Jeep, you'll be wringin the guts out of that 4cyl and won't get any better mileage out of it than a 6cyl, I'd venture to say if anything it could be slightly worse. I've driven a 4cyl YJ quite a few times and you are constantly beating it to get it to go.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

4cyl yj and 4cyl tj are two totally different animals. But you will still see about the sme mpg out of the 4 or 6 cylinder tj. And I would never own an automatic wrangler. Just my preference.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    You won't get any better mileage with a 4cyl over the 6cyl in a Jeep, you'll be wringin the guts out of that 4cyl and won't get any better mileage out of it than a 6cyl, I'd venture to say if anything it could be slightly worse. I've driven a 4cyl YJ quite a few times and you are constantly beating it to get it to go.
    lol

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    Had numerous jeeps and only one 2.5L (my TJ now).

I say this if you need your wrangler to be streetable to and from the trail go 6 cylinder all day long or if you got the bling 2.5 chassis with a V8 swap

a 2.5 will be a decent rig only if you don't have to live with it daily to drive to work or the trail. It is a pig on fuel due to the low power, high gearing.

No that being said, I perfer the lightness of the front end wheeling, the 2.5 responds very well offroad with a rear locker and a 4:1 kit.

I used to drive mine to and from the trails as far away as 4 1/2 hours one way. I get mid teens with 33's and a light foot and not a ton of mountain climbs (not very common around here)

Now that its a dedicated trail rig, I have been enjoying the medium low slung build and have resited the urge to go umber big. It does everything I ask for it.. the only thing it needs to do just about all but dedicated buggy trails is a front locker reinstalled.
    "Mixing my hobby with my profession sucked- thats why I wheeled my toolbox home- to jeep more."

Quote Originally Posted by betrayed93 View Post
    Went to go look at a 97 wrangler 4 banger on cl yesterday..it was susposed to be in great shape.. just needed tires.. but it was a Rust bucket that was freaking BEAT.so im still in the market for a unBeat wrangler... that I can beat

been thinking offroad wise I should probally stick to an automatic 6cyl... Never had no issues with my cherokee's and on hill climbs and playing in the rocks its seems you got more control.. Agree?

or im thinking maybe get a 4 banger with a stick.. save some gas? Not building nothing more then 33's and a lift...and if I got a 4 banger get different gears..

so should I get a 4 banger with a stick? or a auto 6? with the main purpose of trail riding.. hills.. and mild rocks..
    Good because mine isn't for sale anyway...It's the only BEAT Wrangler that I know of.
    Its never the program, always the programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    If I hadn't met you, I'd assume you were a 90 nerd wearing huge glasses after saying that, LMAO!

Thread Information