Thread: NP231 compatability

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

NP231 compatability

I think this past weekend my transfer case started the trip to teh great beyone. 2H works fine. 4H pops in and out, with some grinding noise. 4L goes in fine and runs fine. With the mileage it has, no big deal, I figured it was not too long for the world, the fluid in it had not been changed for some time (ever?) until I did 3 months ago. It moves to the right position, and I have a custom lever and shiter on there, I can feel it go into the right spot and stay.

Picked up a 231 from a 95 a while back for $20, guy said he replaced his but still had issues. I know the tail housing is different, but could I swap tail housings? I figure rebuild the one on the bench, and swap it in and rebuild the other as a spare and or sell it.

Feasible swap?

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    What year s your cherokee?

Input spline count is the main issue I can think of, but I recall reading how to swap those input pieces if they had the same length or something. I think the Novak website has all that info on it.

I think the tailhousing difference was between greased splines in the housing or external to the housing with a boot on.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    There is a number of bolts as well that hold the tailhousing on, they had different counts, I have a 231 or two out back I'll look at, one I know for sure is newer style with the sealed tailhousing slip yoke. Input length's differed as well....Like Josh said, what year is your cherokee, what engine, and what rear end...
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    biggest thing is tracking down what the heck it came out of. If there is a tag on the back you can figure that out via online-

there are a few differencesbut the biggest are the input shaft spline count. If you can snag a couple out of scrap the better- if you need to buy a shaft they are about 200.00 from advance adapters.
    21 Spline Short Input - AW4(pre 90), AX4, AX5
    21 Spline Long Input - Peugeot BA 10/5
    23 Spline Short Input - AX15(pre-95) and the AW4(post 1990)
    23 Spline Long Input - AX15(post 1994),TF904,TF999, Peugeot BA 10/5
    "Mixing my hobby with my profession sucked- thats why I wheeled my toolbox home- to jeep more."

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Mines a 96 auto, 4.0, 8.25 rear end. Not sure on the spline count, no tag and never counted.

TC in the basement says 231J, 272 ratio

I mainly would like to swap like this because it keeps me from having both XJs down for the count at once.

Thread Information