Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
1971 M35A2 Deuce 1/2

Thread: 1971 M35A2 Deuce 1/2

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

1971 M35A2 Deuce 1/2

Following in suit, here is my 1971 M35A2 Duece 1/2. Picked it up from the auction last June.
    Here was how it came home, drove it off the govt lot in Columbus OH.

Put the top on it

And painted it today.

Since green paint has been a hot topic, this is how I did it.
    I sand blasted the rusty spots and did a light blasting of everything to loosen up and prep the old paint. I then primed with oil based primer (like rustoleum with a HVLP gun)
    That was last night after work.
    Today I pressure washed it at about 9am, left it dry and went to get paint. Picked up some Behr Premium paint from Home Depot. It's water based exterior paint. Same stuff everyone on SS has been using. Took their codes and also took a piece of my trailer with very good CRAC paint. They matched perfectly.
    Sprayed it with a HVLP gravity feed gun with a 2.0 tip (typical auto gun set up for primer). Thinned slightly with water, but could probably have shot it straight too.
    It sprayed amazingly well, went on great, covered fine. It dried to the touch pretty quick, but it was in the 80's and sunny. It's still pretty soft, and I expect it to be for a few days, but no horror stories just a great experience so far.
    Took 3 gallons of paint (less the inside of the bed and the dash, have one more gallon to finish them) and about 4 hours of painting. All for under $150.
    Parked it in the barn overnight, plan to set it out to bake Friday and Saturday, supposed to be hot and sunny, should cure nicely.

So far this paint is great and looks wonderful. Probably going to get some brown and black and finish the camo some day too.
    Last edited by oros35; 05-23-2012 at 08:09 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Lookin good.
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

PghOffRoad Regular
    Paint looks great and for a $150 to boot.

So when you get something from a goverment auction are you able to test drive it prior to purchase or how do you know what type of running condition it is in?
    '99 TJ

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Looks good! Turned out nice. I'll have to remember that paint, I want to paint my XJ Desert Tan with black door bottoms and grille shell and that turned out really nice.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Paint is looking good! Make sure you put that cargo cover on the right way this time. It looks like you have it on backwards in that one picture, which would be the same mistake I made when I first threw on my cargo cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mbg View Post
    Paint looks great and for a $150 to boot.

So when you get something from a goverment auction are you able to test drive it prior to purchase or how do you know what type of running condition it is in?
    Info on purchasing from Gov Liquidation:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/governm...tion-drmo-gsa/

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Yep, first time I did put it on backwards! Didn't realize it till it was already on.

When I bought it, it was kind of by accident, Been tossing out bids every once in a while, not really expecting to win. Well this time, I never got that outbid notice.... Crawled into bed and told the wife I think I accidentally bought something.. glad she was about half asleep and didn't really get what I was saying.
    So after all the paper work cleared, I made the appointment to go get it. Took some tools but was really expecting to do a scouting mission to see what I got myself into. All I knew was it said it ran, didn't know much else about it. Quite often they run, but brakes don't work or even worse.
    To my surprise, when I got there, they had it sitting running full tank of fuel, waiting for me to get it. They said, don't stall it out, the batteries are dead!
    So I've never driven one before. Hopped in it, started off down the road. 3+ hours later and almost out of fuel, I pulled into the driveway. Shut it off. Batteries were so dead the starter wouldn't even click!

Tossed some new batteries in it. And gave it a once over. Mechanically in pretty good shape. But could use a coat of paint. The camo it was sporting was from about 5 different colors of brushed on touch up paint.

Got the SF-97 form, turned that into a title, plated it as Antique. Haggerty Insurance for antique vehicles.

Running on about 50/50 diesel to waste motor oil.

Now I'm looking into what the original markings on it were. There have been at least 2 sets of markings on it. I can make out 155 CHEM and D 07. Would like to know where it came from.

Throw your info in the 2012 VIN info thread on SS. He found my truck's history with half the information he says to post.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Played in the snow today.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Don't you clean the snow off before you drive it? haha
    Looks like fun!
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

Nice, I need to get new front NDTs on mine and go play in the snow too

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    NDT's and snow don't go well together!! Ended up making a mess of my back yard, full throttle assult in reverse about 20 tries to get un-stuck!

Don't you clean the snow off before you drive it? haha
    I cleaned off the hood so I could see, that was enough. I never hit the road, just took it out across the fields next to my house. Didn't want to get it covered with salt if I can avoid it.

Thread Information