Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manual vs auto in a tow rig

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I don't know how the other transmissions are setup, but the automatic in my Dodge is very predictable -- even in hilly terrain and can pretty much tell it what gear to be in. It's a 5 speed (3 speed w/ 2 OD gears). I can force it into 1 or 2 -- so that has me covered for those gears. I can shut one or both of the OD gears off -- so I can stay in 3rd gear going up a hill on the highway (or of course I can manually downshift into 2 if needed).

I understand the reliability concerns and granted, maybe I don't know any better since I've never towed with a manual -- but it's pretty easy to get in the gear I want. And even if I hit a hill in the wrong gear, I can easily correct that.

IIRC, some of the newer Cummins come with a button on the shifter to manually shift up/down as needed.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

i had an 08 manual cummins, pulling about 9000lbs. then switched to '11 auto cummins pulling same weight. i preferred the manual pulling. both had the exhaust brake which was extremely nice to have pulling. another benefit of the manual is less brake wear if you downshift properly.

Previously: 91brokewrangler
    I am running a 08 F250 Auto... It has no problem with a trailer behind it. I am running with a DPF Delete, cold air intake, and a Spartan tuner. I am currently running with the 210 tow tune which keeps the EGTs down while pulling. The Fords Torque shift transmissions have really impressed me so far.

Trail Leader
    auto with big cooler......shifting and having your load physically shift (not because its not secured correctly) its just a pain in the ass.

my .02 cents.

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    I definitely wanted a manual for towing when i bought my '11 cummins. My previous f350 6.0 was a manual also. It comes down to personal preference. I test drove an auto cummins and didn't like how it shifted. My wife has no ambition to learn to drive a manual so that's something that always has to be thought of. But i know it 100k or so i won't have to rebuild the Automatic. I just need to buy a clutch at 14k miles now because with the programmer turned up it'll slip.

After i bought my truck, being that i bought a new one, i could have got an auto and just traded it in at 100k lile everyone else.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    I severly dislike the auto for towing (or driving in general unless I'm just going out for a sunday cruise like in our auto YJ or offroading) for a few reasons. Some of those reasons have been somewhat solved by the newer autos & their electronics (severe loss of MPG's, searching, soft shifts, heat, severe brake wear), others have not (durability, control, loss of MPG's, more brake wear, power to the wheels)

The main reason I prefer a standard is the control - I absolutely hate my vehicle thinking for me. And I have yet to drive a factory auto (new or old) that was always in the right gear @ the right time, allowed the engine to pull down hard on a hill, crawled through a rough section of road smoothly, or felt as powerfull as it's mechnically connected cousin. Plus, if you buy used vehicles, you have the best chance at finding yourself with an inoperable transmission if you don't rebuild or refresh that used auto asap. Not to say standards never break, but I've never had issues with a manual that came without warning - where as I've been left sitting at more than one red light by a used auto trans that just suddenly decided it simply wasn't going anymore!

As for others being able to drive my standard shift - I've already lost respect for you over that, so like Oros said - stay outta my ride!

The wife "excuse" amuses me as well. When I met Seismik, she said her Dad told her she couldn't drive a standard due to mistakes she made trying to learn while he screamed at her. I told her that's BS & she may wanna at least learn how in case she needed too, because when we moved in together there were 5 vehicles in our driveway & only one was an auto (her's). She took my advice & at least learned how to operate one, this knowledge actually saved my life once even.

Fast forward to today & the standard shift vehicles in our driveway still out number the auto's - only now three are Seismik's (Actually 4 are if you include her '69 auto-stick VW beetle)! And of those three/four, one is her daily driver 5 speed TDI Jetta.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! 13below0's Avatar
    Drove a 2010 ford auto yesterday that was a dud. Drove a 2010 6spd dodge today and was not impressed but it was a really nice truck. All you dodge guys running your mouth apparently have not drove a 6.7 ford yet lol it feels like a rocket compared to these other truck i have drove so far. The 6.4 ford was a disappointment, hell i wouldnt give up my old beater 7.3 for that truck.
    SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL WELDER...

Any comparison test I have read, I know they are about meaningless. The Duramax has come out on top. Really the auto/manual is a preference. I put over 200.000 miles on my last two trucks and they where both autos never had an issue other than fluid changes. My 96 and 287,000 on the odometer and I pulled with it. My 76 is still ticking at 220,000. Get a temp gauge pay attention and change the fluid there will be no issue. If I could find a 6.0 Chevy gasser with a 5 speed I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 13below0 View Post
    Drove a 2010 ford auto yesterday that was a dud. Drove a 2010 6spd dodge today and was not impressed but it was a really nice truck. All you dodge guys running your mouth apparently have not drove a 6.7 ford yet lol it feels like a rocket compared to these other truck i have drove so far. The 6.4 ford was a disappointment, hell i wouldnt give up my old beater 7.3 for that truck.
    never really "ran my mouth" the duramax has come out on top of comparisons, but theres reasons other than the most powerful or the most X,Y,Z reason to buy one over the other. and my old dmax truck was more powerful and faster than my dodge before i opened the cummins up.I liked the interior fit and style of the dodge, the cummins is a pretty proven engine and i wanted a manual. if you like the ford go for it. i am not gonna tell you dodge is the best end all be all. theyre all ****in pieces of shit, it just comes down to wich turd stinks least to you.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    Any comparison test I have read, I know they are about meaningless. The Duramax has come out on top. Really the auto/manual is a preference. I put over 200.000 miles on my last two trucks and they where both autos never had an issue other than fluid changes. My 96 and 287,000 on the odometer and I pulled with it. My 76 is still ticking at 220,000. Get a temp gauge pay attention and change the fluid there will be no issue. If I could find a 6.0 Chevy gasser with a 5 speed I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    your trucks with that many miles, don't have the torque or horsepower of today's trucks.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

True but they are different transmissions today as well. 200,000 miles on a 4l80 or 4l60 is not unheard of. That wasn't really the point, just that manual/automatic is a preference thing and well maintained I think they would last plenty long. Esp the new 6l90 or Allison.
    Its not like the NV4500 is bullet proof I have seen a few of them crap out at less than 150,000.
    Like I said if I could find a 5 speed 6.0 Chevy I would be all over it.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    ^ We almost got to see a NV4500 meet it's death last night LOL
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    we have 12 2012 Chevys with the 6.0 and 4 2012 F series. the f550 and the f350 both have the 6.7 and the brand new for 2012 6 speed. the chevys obv have the allison. i will say that we tow a shit ton with both brands. the trucks are rarely unloaded and in the winter we plow snow all over the burgh with them. the autos are rly nice.. the fords will hold 40 pounds of boost THRU the shift and will pull a dual axle car trailer loaded down with 2 skid loaders to 75 mph in under 12 seconds. the chevys are actually constantly shifting. i chock it up to the torque-less 6.0 but, w/e. 3 of the fords have been in the shop to have a trans replaced with less than 28k miles... 27989, 27890 27450 and the other only has 25k, but itll skip shift from 1st to 4th and then from 5th back down to 1st.

for towing, id want an auto, but that is just me. not loosing boost ever is always gonna be good, youre not wokring the motor twice and using twice the fuel to get back your boost and its a convenience in my eyes.

having said that, my friends 450 hp 5.9 cummins with 6 sp was an absolute blast to drive but its just that... for fun/looks.
    99 WJ 4.7, 545RFE, 247 - BB on 30s
    95 ZJ 5.2, 46RH, 249 - BB on 32" BFG MT
    02 WJ 4.7HO, 545RFE, 247 - stock but breaks the tires loose on the 1-2 shift

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    My 6.0 5 speed crew cab will be for sale soon.

Any of you 6.0 guys have a tune?

All the towing forums say that's the secret to making the 6.0 a towing beast, and I'm curious if that's true since I'm considering setting one down in my '78 K30 Crew cab.

I have the bigger flex-fuel injectors and a tune. Definitely made a difference, especially on premium fuel. The auto trucks benefit more from a tune because torque management is usually disabled.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonecheenin View Post
    Any of you 6.0 guys have a tune?

All the towing forums say that's the secret to making the 6.0 a towing beast, and I'm curious if that's true since I'm considering setting one down in my '78 K30 Crew cab.
    I have a tune on my LQ9 6.0.

A GOOD tune from a guy who really understands how to tune is critical. It's not just turning off security and tq management.
    Something catchy goes here.

Right, you can add some fuel and a LOT of timing advance.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonecheenin View Post
    She took my advice & at least learned how to operate one, this knowledge actually saved my life once
    You gotta tell the story now.
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=paleturquoise]If everyone was just like you then what would we need you for?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by abrzrkr View Post
    You gotta tell the story now.

Well - I had a 4 cyl 5 spd S10. We were out quad riding one day, & dummy me managed to roll Seismik's 500lb scrambler straight over onto my chest - handlebars first!

After a buddy knocked the quad off me so I could start breathing again - AND I finished "running" in circles on my side like one of the three Stooges - Seismik hauled me to the emergency room in that 5 speed Chevy S10.

She did great too, smooth as silk - till we were headed home & pulled into the driveway. She was so relieved to have made it with jerking the truck & hurting me any further, that she stopped the truck without pushing in the clutch!

THAT hurt a bit, but I just thanked her for getting me home where I could go NOT get up for awhile!!

Thread Information