Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Broken Motor Mount Bolts on an XJ

Thread: Broken Motor Mount Bolts on an XJ

Trail Leader

Broken Motor Mount Bolts on an XJ

I aquired a 97 Xj off my younger brother a few months back and am looking to get it back up and running, It has the 4.0 auto 30 and 8.25 IIRC? but I've hit a snag. The motor mount bolts broke off flush with the block, I can't get a straight story about how the bolts broke, it was his first vehicle so you know how that goes but either way the engine does run if you jack it up so the fan clears the frame rail. Can anyone recommend a way to get the bolts out? I have been told to place a nut over them then fill the inside of the nut with weld and try and turn them out that way Or to get a drill in there and use an easy out but being I'm only home for a week at a time and sanity sake I'm also looking for another 4.0 to toss in it, Would any one happen to have any leads on one by chance? I'd like to get it able to move under its own power so I can fix it up and get it back on the road. Here's what it used to look like. It also has 4 inch on it and I've added a winch bumper when I got it. Any help is appreciated.
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Weld a nut on to it.

Trail Leader
    man thats a sexy red x of a jeep you got there swank
    I am looking forward to regretting this

i can see it

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    After putting that motor in the burgundy Xj I don't know that I'd want to do another one.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Richmond, Virginia formerly Cranberry TWP.
    you have to nearly pull the motor to get a 90 degree drill striaght enough on it to drill it out or collapse it out. Then put a timesert in it. Done 3 in my jeeping career and all on XJs

IMHO dont waste your time on trying to weld a nut on it-
    1) its probably so galled in there it won't matter
    2) the detriot pig iron block will soak up enough heat from the weld it wont be as strong as you need it to be to pull the borken bolt out. If you can get it that strong you will need to preheat and nearly pull the motor to get the nut on it anyhow
    3) the last XJ I did somone tried the nut trick, then broken the nut, then ground it off and screw the block up and bore so it HAD to get a timesert even with a square drill job I did on the fractured bolt
    Last edited by DixieJeeper; 07-02-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    "Mixing my hobby with my profession sucked- thats why I wheeled my toolbox home- to jeep more."

Trail Leader
    Ok, so the best route in your opinion would be to find another motor to swap in? That was my first thought being if i tried any other methods and messed up I'd still have to pull it in the first place, whats a going rate for a 4.0 anyway?
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s

Id pull the motor out and try to get it with an easy out before you threw another one in. Your gonna pull the motor either way so why not give it a try before you dump the cash on a new 4.0
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    Did you even try to get the bolts out by hand? When i Bought my xj, the bolts were broke off on the passenger side, all three. A buddy told me to try and turn them out. I got one or two out that way and then i took a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and put a slot in one and it backed out also. There was no tension on them they were just broke off flush with the bosses on the block.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Previously "TurboTJ"
    (I assumed you already tried to pull the bolts out by hand)

just disconnect the harnesss, pull the rad. hoses, get and engine hoist and take the mounts and brackets out of the way, jack the engine up 30 degrees just so the w.pump starts to peek out above the core, pushe the motor to the side and you will have plenty of room to drill it and attack it
    "Mixing my hobby with my profession sucked- thats why I wheeled my toolbox home- to jeep more."

Ugh I can't imagine how bad that'll suck though.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Oh dude its major suckage if they don't spin out by hand or when your first hit/bite them with a left handed bit.... lots of 500 RPM drilling for a long time.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YZEATER View Post
    Did you even try to get the bolts out by hand? When i Bought my xj, the bolts were broke off on the passenger side, all three. A buddy told me to try and turn them out. I got one or two out that way and then i took a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and put a slot in one and it backed out also. There was no tension on them they were just broke off flush with the bosses on the block.
    I was about to say the SAME exact thing. I bought a cheap cherokee and as soon as I started driving it the passenger side motor mount bolts all broke. I ended up being able to walk all three out with a pointed punch, just tapping them around in a circle till they walked out. I would try the punch and hammer method or slot them is possible and use an impact driver if you can get one in there.

Also I had a friend mess up his driver side motor mounts, actually busting off one boss at least, so he purchased some huge beefy motor mount brackets that used a ton of holes on the side of the motor, from I think MORE, and used those to save his motor.

Brown Dog Offroad has some awesome motor mounts and other bracketry. I have their motor mounts and was on a 6 month kick for a while of destroying driver's side motor mounts for some reason. Going on a year on my Brown Dog's no issues at all.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

I was thinking about upgrading the beater XJ mounts, the ax15 shifter is swinging all over the place

Previously "TurboTJ"
    I run brown dog on all my rigs (less the new TJ hasn't gotten them yet) they are indeed awesome and they do offer upgraded brackets.. all their stuff has a you break it we will send you a new one warranty like BDS.

Ya I will have to order a set of these

http://browndogindustries.com/cherok...-2000-40l.aspx

When I ordered mine, they were on a bit of a backlog, I called and talked to them, super nice to deal with, and more than eager to answer any questions I had. Also give the NAXJA discount. I will eventually get the full engine brackets to avoid any possible issues further down the road.
    94 YJ MTO

Did you go with poly?

I went rubber, I was concerned with the poly being like a solid motor mount. I wanted a little give. The rubber is nice and tough though and as soon as you bolt them in your like holy shit my stock mounts sucked.
    94 YJ MTO

Trail Leader
    I didn't think of the hammer and chisel method, I may have to look into that. Also those motor mounts look pretty sweet, the only problem I could see is if I couldn't get any of the three broken bolts out would the other bolts be able to handle the motor?

Trail Leader
    Edit, I read up and saw that they use a total of 8 bolts on the passanger side, even if I didn't get the stock 3 out, the other 5 should be strong enough to hold the motor correct? Its not going to be used as a wheeler like my Tj just as a back up dd for my mom and me, with the occasional spotting trip or back road.

Previously "TurboTJ"
    Should be fine that way go with rubber mounts from them too. But I suspect with out too much trouble you might get the bolts out. I got a set out once that way the others I did have to use a left handed bit and some drill time

Thread Information