Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My Deuce Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Deuce Thread

PghOffRoad Regular

My Deuce Thread

I'm buying a Deuce today, thanks to the connection provided by joshs1ofakindxj.

If I remember correctly, it's a 66 Kaiser Jeep M35A2, and as far as I know wasn't rebuilt.

It's got the air-shift t-case, winch, cab soft top, troop seats, and the bows for the cargo cover, but not the cover itself. I'll need to fix the exhaust pipe, do a bit of bodywork, and some paint, but what doesn't need that when it's that old?

My plan (if it goes correctly) is to register it as a Class 6 truck (14001-17000) in order to keep my registration costs down, in addition to keeping it at one annual inspection, rather than bi-annual. It could be registered as an antique, but that limits the usage, and I'd like the ability to use it as a truck if I have the need or desire.

Straight from the DMV website: Although buses and trucks are eligible for
    Antique and Classic registration plates, buses MAY NOT be used to transport
    passengers and trucks MAY NOT haul cargo.

Also:
    “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with
    antique and classic registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted
    use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades,
    occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and
    similar uses is defined as one day a week.

The one thing I am still unclear on is inspection. Is this something any inspection shop can do? Or do I have to find one that deals with larger trucks on a regular basis? Anyone know of a shop, preferably in/around the North Hills that knows these trucks, so I can speak with them about inspection?

Oh, and I will post pics later.. Stay tuned!
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out for you.

I have a bunch of random exhaust stack parts like brackets and flex pipes so let me know if you need anything. Heck just let me know if you need anything in general and I'll see what's in my pile.

The antique restrictions are there, but I haven't had a problem yet. When you get everything straightened out, let me know what your registration and insurance costs come out to be because I have considered it.

I'm pretty sure the inspection shop has to be approved for heavy trucks.

I have seen the other military vehicles that the guy you're buying from owns and he is definitely a wrench turner but I would still pull hubs, inspect brakes, and pack bearings.

If you're taking Rt.22 home with the truck, stop at Penn View equipment and for about $20 hub you can get a 3" 8-point spindle nut socket if you don't have one. Also they have big mud flaps for $13 each.

Also, I have a fiberglass hard top for sale. I'll make you a deal on it. They're light so you can lift it off by yourself. Just sit it on for winter or whatever. It needs a little fiberglass work in the corners and around the window. Seems to be typical on the used ones.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 07-13-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Heck you might as well take Rt 30 home and stop by Marguerite for the car show so we can look it over!

Trail Leader
    pretty sure up to class 6 (veical under 17000lbs) any inspection shop can do it, pendin they have the tools and space......i can inspect it with my class 1 inspection license
    I am looking forward to regretting this

PghOffRoad Regular
    Well, just got back.. Unsuccessful drive home..

Got it transferred, registered, plate mounted, and a temporary patch on the exhaust.

It was going great, I was a little rough shifting, but not too bad. It's my first manual, aside from motorcycles, but I have tried some out in the driveway before. He said, "It's got about a quarter tank, which MIGHT be enough to get you there." So As I'm searching for gas stations (the first one I went to didn't have diesel..Really?!) Turns out it wasn't enough... I ran out of fuel on 422 north of 28. An extremely nice lady pulled up, said she lived close, and she'd go get a can and buy me fuel. <--AWESOME! I don't think too many people will do that nowadays. THANK YOU whoever you were!

A trucker pulled up, said his buddy has a few of them, and that I should be able to inch it off the road more with the starter. Never crossed my mind to try that, as I'm used to newer vehicles having to have the clutch depressed to run the starter.

About the same time, I called the police to direct traffic, because I was blocking an entire lane, on an uphill curve, so noone could see well. He allowed me to sit there waiting for the fuel. When that came, the Deuce started right up, And I'm thinking, "Great, I'm good to go to get to the gas station!"

Well then the big problem came. The transmission shifter was not moving.. at all.. So, ok, you say, drive up the hill in that gear. Tried that. as soon as the clutch was let out, it stalled. No lurch forward at all. At this point I had very few ideas of what it could be. I thought either brakes heated and locked up or the transmission locked up. The trooper said he needed to call a tow truck to get me off the road.

They came, hooked me up, had me press the clutch while they drove, and said if we have to, we'll just drag it to where we can pull off. Thankfully it rolled easily. they started looking at it, because the one guy's dad was a mechanic on them for 30 years, and the other knew of a guy that had a couple. We could not figure it out. so I told them i can't leave it here. So for just an extra $500 I was off the road and towed to their shop, where it sits now.

I removed the transmission cover, and the top of the tranny. It took a bit of looking, but we found the issue. The bottom of the shift lever slipped out of the slots in the shift forks, and was trying to push them the wrong direction. After many times of messing with it, we got it back in, but it would do it again occasionally. I figured out that it slips right between the 2nd and 3rd shift fork and the 4th and 5th fork. Is this a common quirk? Or is something of mine worn out?

I'll be back there tomorrow. I was too tired and frustrated to finish it and drive it home. As much as I wanted to, this was probably the safer choice.

This guy was definitely a wrench turner. He showed me some of his current projects!
    I had planned on taking 422 and 28, so no socket or car show for me, even if it had gone well. I will definitely be contacting you about a few parts, Thanks!
    Good info on the inspection, too.
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

When recovering an antique military vehicle, stuff happens! I would still call it a success, because no one died and the truck just needed a little tow.

Anyways, it sounds like you might have a worn shift fork but I'm not really familiar with the transmission or related problems.

Here is the TM that has a sickening amount of transmission information. I read that there should be wear limits you can measure on the shift fork in here:

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTech...520-246-34.PDF

Jatonkam also hosts all the other TMs on his site. Start at the operator level and work your way up, skimming over them to get some info here and there. The lube order is nice to print and have around for a quick reference for fluid capacities and grease points.

Anyways, I digress, back to the problem.

I read that the top cover gasket acts as a shim. The transfercase is built the same way if that is true. All the gaskts in it act as shims basically. Make sure you get the right gasket thickness for reassembly.

Suggested reading:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/5...locked-up.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/4...tuck-gear.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/5...sion-woes.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/5...n-problem.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/70653-m35a2-transmission-problem.html
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 07-14-2012 at 07:43 AM.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I planned on doing the internet searching this morning, as I was way too tired last night. Thanks for the head start
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Congrats on the Deuce! Welcome to the club!

I got lucky and my recovery from Columbus was uneventful, but I have heard way worse horror stories than yours.

I just had a problem with my transmission. That sounds very similar to what happened to mine! it was shifting into 2 gears at once and wouldn't move. I believe I posted about it here.
    Edit look here: http://pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthr...-shifter-parts
    And here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/8...mbly-part.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/8...mbly-part.html

look at #3 on page 101 of TM 9-2520-246-34-1
    http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload...0-246-34-1.pdf

Memphis equipment and several others have whole top covers that you can buy. About $125 plus shipping. I haven't come up with one locally. I'm still in search of the part of mine that broke. The weld is holding just fine but would like to replace it with a new one.
    Last edited by oros35; 07-14-2012 at 12:16 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Pics!!
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oros35 View Post
    Congrats on the Deuce! Welcome to the club!
    Thanks! I remember reading about your part on here and steel soldiers. From what I saw on the side I was having trouble with, I've still got that bend on there to stop the shifter from going too far. I was looking at it through the forks and fork sliders though, so maybe it is worn some.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZINHALFDOZZEN View Post
    Pics!!
    I got it home today, so here you go:

The one top bow is cracked in half, that's why I took it off. And another looks like it's starting to split. Should be an easy fix for both though. Check out that custom plate mount too, haha. I'll probably put it on the hard part of the mudflap

The passenger seat will need redone:

And the areas that will need some metal work:
    Drivers side just under the door, and behind the fender

Passenger side below the door, and a bit on the fender

And the exhaust pipe

I will say that it is quite an experience to drive! It doesn't really like uphills much, and I couldn't get it to downshift into 3rd to go up some. I absolutely love the sound of that whistler turbo though!

Next thing to do is get it inspectable, and mount the plate. Then bodywork and figuring out what paint and paint color I want to do. Then maybe spin on oil filters, etc..
    Last edited by Yarz; 11-22-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

PghOffRoad Regular
    Oh yeah, I drove almost halfway home with no lights.. I mean NONE. My dad was following me and ran up at a red light and reminded me to turn on the brake lights
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I drove 4hrs home from columbus with no lights!

Did you find the problem?

I'll never forgot driving my deuce home after I bought it. I know how you feel. I think I smiled the entire 500 miles.

Check out New Life Resource for the seat canvas.

Looks like typical rust spots. My truck had a new J-pipe put on it when I bought it by the PO because it looked the same. I put the flapper on so I don't have to worry. I like the sound of the flapper anyways when I'm idling. Ting, ting, ting, ting...

Some paint and body work and that truck will look sweet. Solid truck there with lot's of good features.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oros35 View Post
    I drove 4hrs home from columbus with no lights!

Did you find the problem?
    Aside from the fact that the shifter had moved out of the forks, I discovered nothing. I have no idea how or why it happened. Or why it happened at that exact moment. Maybe because it was Friday the 13th?

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I put the flapper on so I don't have to worry. I like the sound of the flapper anyways when I'm idling. Ting, ting, ting, ting...
    I may go that route, I haven't decided yet, but it did cross my mind

Some paint and body work and that truck will look sweet.
    That's the hope
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    I would still call it a success, because no one died and the truck just needed a little tow.
    Thats good right there!
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Check out New Life Resource for the seat canvas.
    Just copied that into Google, and the first result it found was A Wisconsin Mandated Outpatient Mental Health Clinic.. What are you trying to tell me? Lol

Found what you meant though, newlifecanvas
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

I know a local guy with heater kits for sale if your truck doesnt have one. I'm sure the price is very reasonable.

Edit: never mind it looks like you have one from your cab picture

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Who are you guys using for insurance and was there any issues getting it?
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]Build Thread of my first Project[/SIZE]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#fffacd][URL]http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10689[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    American Collectors Insurance. Just need a picture of it in a garage and you're good to go. I think mine is $150 a year.
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

I'm paying about $315 a year to Hagerty for my deuce, my M105A2 trailer, my CJ5, and my M416 trailer. I got policies on my trailers added for next to nothing after going through a hassle when my parent's trailer was wrecked. All they needed was a picture in a garage and the normal 4 pictures of the front back and sides.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I know a local guy with heater kits for sale if your truck doesnt have one. I'm sure the price is very reasonable.

Edit: never mind it looks like you have one from your cab picture
    Yep, it's got it

Quote Originally Posted by Fourx4sr4me View Post
    Who are you guys using for insurance and was there any issues getting it?
    Mine's with Allstate, since they cover all of my other vehicles. Was no trouble to get, although I'm not sure if they really know what it is, because the lady looked at me weird, and said it wasn't in the computer. She said it'd be about 160/ 6 months on top of my Jeep, so I'm sure there's some multi-vehicle and multi-policy discounts figured in

Oh, and they didn't require pictures, perhaps because I'm not registered as antique/classic.

Also, got my new exhaust pipe.. Holy crap are they expensive! Now I'm just waiting on the weather to install it and wire wheel, prime inside the bed, since it looks like it's been bare steel for years
    Last edited by Yarz; 07-20-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Ya, the garage thing would be an issue. There is no way that is going to fit in my garage. One of these days i'm going to get one of these.
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]Build Thread of my first Project[/SIZE]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#fffacd][URL]http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10689[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Fourx4sr4me View Post
    Ya, the garage thing would be an issue. There is no way that is going to fit in my garage. One of these days i'm going to get one of these.
    They just want a picture of it inside a building...any building...even a walmart

PghOffRoad Regular
    Got the exhaust fixed up today:

and then wire wheeled the bed and primed:

Added a flapper to keep this pipe from rusting out again. I think I liked the look of the pipe better before, but sometimes function must come before form:

Oh and I went to start it to show the flapper in operation, and this happened:

Guess it wasn't tight enough.. Oops..
    Last edited by Yarz; 11-22-2015 at 06:26 PM.
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

Trail Leader
    one step forward....3 back
    I am looking forward to regretting this

Thread Information