Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need a SMALL carry gun... Suggestions/thoughts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a SMALL carry gun... Suggestions/thoughts

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Ive heard mixed about all the DB guns. reliability isnt the greatest.

If you just are looking for size, the LCP beats out the LCR by a bit. The LCR isnt all that much lighter than some of the jframe options out there either, and its still kinda big. BUt, the LCP sucks to shoot enough to get good at shooting it at distance.

(I know people say its a belly gun, but I would rather stop the threat on my life before they get that damn close)

The S&W 642 is hard to beat.

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    The S&W 642 is hard to beat.
    This. I pretty much ALWAYS have my 442 on me. And a Glock. Or a 1911.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Ive heard mixed about all the DB guns. reliability isnt the greatest.

If you just are looking for size, the LCP beats out the LCR by a bit. The LCR isnt all that much lighter than some of the jframe options out there either, and its still kinda big. BUt, the LCP sucks to shoot enough to get good at shooting it at distance.

(I know people say its a belly gun, but I would rather stop the threat on my life before they get that damn close)
    Agree about the LCR. And it holds 5 rounds vs. the LCP's 6+1. I've shot the LCR plenty and it isn't very comfortable to shoot. May as well go with a J frame if revolver is the preferred option you are right about that. The LCP does take some time to get used to, but overall I'd take it over the LCR all things considered. Much slimmer profile too. The only pro it has over the LCP is it can shoot .38+P whereas you cannot (well Ruger advises against anyway) shoot .380+P out of the LCP.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Trail Leader
    I picked up an LCP for the wife for Christmas last year and she loves it!!! Nice lil gun and very easy to carry.

I just recently purchased a Walther PPK/S for my CC which is a much easier CC then my .40

I'm very happy with the LCP, just my few thoughts.
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    268 Engnbldr Cam & Street R/V Head
    31X10.5
    Purchased 11/08 @125K miles

95 SR5 4Runner
    3.Slow Auto 4x4 (5 spd someday)
    33x12.50 4.88's
    LC Coil's in rear A bit raked she is
    5/09 Traded a 1980 CB 750 for it!!! Yeah for me...
    106K miles

[URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?11755-The-Unofficial-Build-Thread"]Unofficial Build Thread [/URL]

[/FONT][quote=BigDukeSix;173937]
    I saw the news piece on the food handout bus. What a merry band of assholes that is. I would be awesome if they got robbed.[/quote]

About that PPK/S - I've heard it's a great little gun but can be a meat eater on occasion and nip your hand. I have large hands - have you had any issues with that gun biting?

I'm looking for another just to add to my collection for no good reason. Looking at that PPK/s, the Beretta PX4 compact, and the S&W Shield (latter 2 in 9mm). Curious to hear your thoughts on the PPK/s (sorry for the semi-thread hijack).

Trail Leader
    Well to be honest I have not shot it yet...Too damn busy to get out, I'm not real happy about it.

I don't see how it would pinch ya you'd really have to have a horrible grip to get it up that high, I think it would be rather uncomfortable as well.

As for the LCP it's a little small for me but I can shoot it, I just would not like to go through a box with it.

[FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    268 Engnbldr Cam & Street R/V Head
    31X10.5
    Purchased 11/08 @125K miles

95 SR5 4Runner
    3.Slow Auto 4x4 (5 spd someday)
    33x12.50 4.88's
    LC Coil's in rear A bit raked she is
    5/09 Traded a 1980 CB 750 for it!!! Yeah for me...
    106K miles

[URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?11755-The-Unofficial-Build-Thread"]Unofficial Build Thread [/URL]

[/FONT][quote=BigDukeSix;173937]
    I saw the news piece on the food handout bus. What a merry band of assholes that is. I would be awesome if they got robbed.[/quote]

Trail Leader
    I hope you have better luck with your PPK than I had with mine. Mine went back to Interarms twice with a broken transfer bar. After the second trip it was traded on a 1911. Any gun is better than no gun at all, but if you're going to carry one of these little pocket guns, become VERY skilled in it's use. I've seen a few bullet wounds caused by handgun rounds, and there isn't much margin for error with the little guys. Or handguns in general, for that matter.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Thanks for the feedback on the PPK. I shoot probably 200 rounds a month through my S&W BG .380. Got the that "point and shoot" level of skill with it from about 20 yds and in (i don't flitz with the laser much). I gotta say it's not uncomfortable to shoot at all. The worst part is reloading really. Good advice though Hood, I drag my wife to the range every month too and basically make her practice. It's part of the responsiblity of carrying IMHO.

Thread Information