Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot 2012
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot 2012

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar

Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot 2012

I've been meaning to attend this event and this past weekend I made the 8 and a half hour trip to Kentucky. It was totally worth it. What an incredible event and place to visit. It's almost more gun show than machine gun shoot. There are tons of guns big boxes of ammo for sale. Everything from mini guns to pallets of ammo can be purchased. You have to bring plenty of cash to this event for the gun show, the machine gun rentals, or even a huey ride if you want. I spent all the money I took with me on a new toy. More on that later...

It's about a 6 and a half hour drive from my place to my college friend's apartment in Lexington, KY. Lunch time on Friday found Donnie and I in Charleston, WV, and we stumbled upon a sketchy looking place to eat called Blue's BBQ. It ended up being really good pulled pork and cheap.

That night I enjoyed a good "Hugh Jass" burger in Lexington and way too many beers to be listening to machine guns the next day, but whatever.

The next day, my friends and I arrived hung over and amazed. This place is gun heaven. I was so amazed, I didn't take many pictures and video during the day Saturday. At one point, when they let everyone walk around on the range I took some pictures...

here is that huey you could buy a ride in...

the toys...you name it, it was there.

the rentals...

watched some cowboy action sub-machine gun competition...

and then the night shoot, the place was packed by this point

during the day, they had a lot of explosives out on the range to shoot, but for the night shoot, I think they had 10 or more 55 gal barrels of fuel out there and the heat was intense from the fire balls and explosions.

video!

there is nothing like the sound of a mini gun. the video does not do it justice.

I found myself a toy. Who knows what I'm building? (Yes, semi-auto)

As expected, it took awhile to get out of the range. There were a lot of people there and the line to leave took forever, but eventually we made it back to Lexington and passed out. Sunday was spent drinking beers, eating hot dogs, and looking at beautiful women at Keenland race track.

So who wants to go next year? I know I am!

They have a spring shoot, which I'm told typically is rainy and cold, so I will be going to the fall one next year if I can.

Admission is only $10 BTW, and FYI, a PA LTCF let's you carry in WV and KY, so you're good to unless you travel through OH and don't have a Utah permit.

Trail Leader
    Absolutely Amazing!!! This is why I miss being back in the USAF. We used to have so much,Fu,,ummm, Practice, Yeah, Practice. Thanx Josh for sharing and saving the mini for last. Great pics and vids. The only thing I noticed was I think all that will Buff out on the VW Bug,,LOL.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]If it has Wheels and involves dirt...I can Break it!!

Red Jeep Club Member #640
    Z.O.R.U. #300[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

The bug was out there for the next round of shooting. By the end of that round, there was NOTHING left of it. It looked like the swiss cheese fridge in the one picture!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Building a 1919 eh?? Some belt fed goodness! Belt fed 7.62 X 51's can be expensive to feed.
    Last edited by busij44; 10-15-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Hollow points...........when you care enough to send the very best.

You can't put a price on fun!

I shipped my 1919 to Tennessee today to have it built. Should be done and back in a few weeks.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    You can feed a 1919 in a few different calibers, going 7.62 nato then?
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

Yup. I wanted to get the parts to also fire 8mm but the price of 8mm doesn't seem to be as good of a deal as it was just last year.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    ^ 8mm is starting to go up and get harder to get.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Awesome, I have always wanted to go but either have something going on or forget to plan it. Maybe next year.

Next year we could try planning a group carpool and camping trip. They have camping on site. That would really save money for rentals and purchases.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    I'd love to go to that, looks awesome. I'd possibly be down for going next year if that plan comes together.
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    ^ 8mm is starting to go up and get harder to get.
    Ive been told by a few importers that it is not an issue of stocks drying up, its more of an issue with dealing with a shrinking dollar.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

WELP it's this weekend and I'm leaving Friday morning. Camping at the Creek Friday and Saturday nights. Going to hit Blue's BBQ again on the way down, then the Bud's Gun Shop retail store in Lexington, see if they have any Chinese Type 53's on the shelf. When I leave Sunday I'm going to stop at the Jim Beam Distillery for some tasting.

Hoping to pick up an RPD kit at the Creek with original barrel. Then build it on a DSA receiver later. I'm hooked on belt feds.

Saturday I'm competing in the subgun match with a post sample KRISS Vector SMG. I doubt I'll be able to complete the course with the rate of fire of that thing (1200 RPM) and only 108 rounds of 45 ACP on me, we only have 4 mags for it. The course has to be run on full auto so that will be a couple "braaap" and done.

Less posting, more wheeling!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    WELP it's this weekend and I'm leaving Friday morning. Camping at the Creek Friday and Saturday nights. Going to hit... Bud's Gun Shop retail store in Lexington, see if they have any Chinese Type 53's on the shelf.
    Hey - make a few straw purchases for us while you're at it! We're good for it - we'll pay you back!

I KID - I KID!!!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Hey - make a few straw purchases for us while you're at it! We're good for it - we'll pay you back!

I KID - I KID!!!
    Better be careful, your NSA monitor may or may not be laid off due to the shutdown!

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Better be careful, your NSA monitor may or may not be laid off due to the shutdown!

Good ol' Uncle Sam...

'07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Heading down friday with a couple friends, not sure how much money I should take because I'll probably spend it all... Might have to check out that BBQ place!
    1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

Hope to see you there. You'll find me on the small competition range Saturday 330-430 for sure.

Another awesome Knob Creek trip!

Got Blue's BBQ in Charleston WV on the way down on Friday, stopped at Bud's Gun Shop retail store in Lexington, KY. Grabbed a Chinese Type 53 Mosin Nagant carbine for $120. Stock is rough but they have some cool history to them and are supposed to be good shooters. Made it to the creek about 6pm and set up camp. Camping was fun, even though the port-a-johns were a bit of a hike and there was barely any flat ground left to pitch a tent on by the time we got there. It was cool camping with people that just wanted to talk about guns. Lots of people using military trucks and trailers.

Saturday I convinced my buddy to impulse buy a semi M2 HB. I can't wait to shoot it. It even came with a Mosin crate to carry it haha.

I tried my luck in the national subgun competition Saturday evening with a post sample KRISS Vector SMG. It was a poor choice of weapon, but the only SMG accessible to me at the this time. Shooting 1200 rpm, you can see how fast I went through the 160 rounds of 45 ACP I was carrying. The Eotech was not properly sighted in (confirmed by my friend that owns it), and I was unfamiliar with the mag changes and charging handle operation on it, so I was clumsy at first. All that matters is I had fun, and I certainly did. Next year I've already got a transferable 1928A1 Thompson SMG lined up to shoot. The slower rate of fire will be great. Thompsons were a popular choice for the competition that day, along with the M3 grease gun, MP40, and MP5SD. The course had to be run in full auto.

Weighted down with ammo...

Saturday's night shoot was an amazing show. They had the explosions like last year and this year the mini gun ran thousands of tracers, making quite a light show. There seemed to be no shortage of ammo for the machine gunners on the line all weekend.

Sunday we hit the show for one last go and I thought about impulse buying something...NOT!

We went to the Jim Beam distillery about 30 minutes away for some tasting and lunch. Good stuff. Drive home through Ohio took about 7 hours.

If you like guns this is a pilgrimage you have to make. There is so much to watch and see it is mind blowing. The gun show is the largest I've ever seen and ammo was at reasonable prices. I bought 500 rounds of wolf 45 ACP from Copes for $175. I saw lot's of deals on reloading components. I was shopping for a decently priced RPD kit with original barrel. Sarco had kits with new barrels that needed too much machining so I passed. I did buy a drum and belt for the RPD so I'm motivated to buy one. Currently debating on buying the DSA built gun though. I got to fondle one at the creek and they are sweet.

Next year I'm definitely paying the $100 for the Huey ride.

Here is all the stuff I brought back from the trip...

I just wish this got to hang around my garage longer than one evening.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Was there for almost the entire day on Saturday. We got parked in the first row of the lower lot, and they had a school bus running as a shuttle. After I got on the bus it seemed like every other person getting on had a rifle strapped to them, best bus ride ever. The whole atmosphere of the event was something to experience, mules driving around, a Huey flying overhead, and more guns and ammo than you can shake a stick at! The swap area was huge, I know I didn't get a good look through everything. Only came home with a new Kershaw cryo knife, folding AK stock, and a few other odds and ends. I also got one of those GE minigun shirts. Pretty much roadtripped it straight down and back, but it was worth it!!!
    1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

Haha sweet. I'm glad you dig the atmosphere as much as I do. You can't feel more gun love in the air anywhere else.

It's this weekend! Woohoo! Driving down Friday morning and coming back Sunday. Shooting a suppressed 9mm AR15 in the subgun competition this year. Not shopping for much, maybe some reloading stuff if I see it. Really hoping to get a Huey ride.

I'm so freakin jealous.

Drove down Friday through West Virginia and across Kentucky. Leaves changing made it a beautiful drive. We got to the show around noon. It was raining pretty steadily but that didn't stop the shooting. We checked out the gun show until it closed at 8pm then went to the hotel. DO NOT ever stay in the Garden Inn in Shepherdsville. Overpriced AND disgusting. I'll leave it at that lol. I will definitely be camping again next year.

Saturday was beautiful weather. We started the day off with a ride in a 1963 Vietnam war survivor Huey helicopter. The 10 minute ride was incredible and worth every penny of the $100 it cost.

Overall the crowd this year was a lot smaller, which I was thankful for. You could actually move around in the gun show area and the lines for food were shorter. They also added two more food vendors.

During the afternoon they put a fire truck out on the range and shot it up. Very cool. They also had a WWII Stuart tank do a driving demo out on the range showing off how it could drive and turn, but no shooting of the gun sadly.

We shot in the subgun comp Saturday afternoon as well. Cory went first and completely destroyed the AAC TiRant 9mm suppressor on the gun with 40-60 baffle strikes. The internals were wrecked and the tube bulged from the pressure spikes. Pretty crazy stuff. Loose mount was the cause. AAC is excited to get it back and do some failure analysis. I ran the course second without the suppressor. I had so many stovepipes and other jams that I was far from being a competitor but I did finish the course and received many compliments on my perseverance!

The night shoot Saturday was excellent as always. They did three volleys this year. The mini gun was loaded heavily with tracers and put on a good show. At the very end they put three drums of fuel with dynamite charges out there and had the 4 or 5 M2s on the line tear into it for the biggest explosion of the night. Very impressive.

Sunday was an uneventful 8 hour ride home.

Prices at the show were lower on somethings, typical on others. 22 and pistol powder were overpriced and scarce. I bought some reloading components and miscellaneous things. Nothing exciting.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I miss going to the Greater Pittsburgh Machine Gun Club shoots. They were always fun and only based on a day of shooting. Not many spectators. Even the ATF and FBI guys run a few guns while walking the line.
    My liver has a restraining order against me for abuse.

Thread Information