Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
05 6.0 Power Stroke really a nightmare?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 05 6.0 Power Stroke really a nightmare?

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

05 6.0 Power Stroke really a nightmare?

I had an offer on my truck for an 05 f350 with a power stroke and an auto

The guys girlfriend apparently took out the rear fender (you can see in the pic).

It's very basic inside. No power options. But that's not a big deal

It's the 6.0. It has 100k miles on it so its not super high mileage. But is that motor the nightmare people talk like it is?

If I snagged that I'd put a slide in camper in the bed and pull my jeep on the trailer. It'd be great! Lol
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I don't think so. I hate fords, and ford guys hate the 6.0 but International guys swear by it. Well not really swear by it but they think its a decent engine. Pretty sure ford/International had worked out most of the quirks by than. The original issues were mostly because it was rushed into production. There are a lot of high mileage 6.0 out there. There is a thread on Pirate about making a 6.0 last. Those guys would know, you will get 10,000 responses saying its junk and to buy a cummins but a few guys who actually know what they are talking about will tell you whats what lol. I think overall the later years of the 6.0 were pretty decent engines.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Trail Leader
    I had an 06 f450 and I ordered it the way I wanted stick shift 6.0 I put up with it for 2 years and couldn't take it anymore sold it and bought another gas truck...
    It was in the garage more than I drove it I sold it with 29,000 miles . I certianly would not buy another 6.0 without a warranty.
    [U][url]http://swpaoffroaders.spruz.com/[/url][/U]

Trail Leader
    I believe the main problems with the 6.0s were the injectors, turbos, egr and oil coolers? Probably if you are to leave it stock and just drive it with out chipping it or anything it should be ok? A friend of mine who owned a farm had a 6.0 and it went through three sets of injectors and two turbos iirc but he used and abused it, pulling fifth wheels loaded with hay bales and truck pulling, he also had a tuner on it. I'm not a ford man by anymeans, but it was hard to beat the old 7.3s, perhaps a look around on some Powerstroke forums could turn some info up?
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

Trail Leader
    Injectors and head gaskets. The trend seems to be if you can get them over 100k without a major problem you should be ok. The bad head gaskets and warped heads often happened in the first 40-50K miles. Keep in mind these were landscapers that really pushed there trucks hard.
    97 Jeep TJ 4in. lift 35" MT, winch, 8.8
    2000 Dodge Cummins, Auto to 5 speed swap complete.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Egr cooler delete and ARP head studs make it a good motor. If you want to talk to a guy who knows his stuff about them, call Dale at H&M Truck and Auto in Butler. He specializes in making 6.0s the way they should've been built originally and will give the straight, unbiased facts. He has worked on 100s of them
    96 ZJ 5.9, Clayton LA, 35s, locked HP30 & 8.8

Quote Originally Posted by ADuncan888 View Post
    Egr cooler delete and ARP head studs make it a good motor. If you want to talk to a guy who knows his stuff about them, call Dale at H&M Truck and Auto in Butler. He specializes in making 6.0s the way they should've been built originally and will give the straight, unbiased facts. He has worked on 100s of them
    Is he right by Rick Fennells?
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Who trades a F350 Diesel for an older gas Dodge? Diesels are worth stupid money right now, I'd check it out really good.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have lots of 6.0 stay away from them. And don't go to h&m he was never help to me told me my motor was blown up and ended up being a oring on the injector.still running a yr later. 6.0 can bite you hard we have 240000 one and got to unreliable and expensive to fix. Fuel pumps,ficms,injectors,turbos,egrs, head studs,ours 2005 was the biggest nightmare and sold it at 120000.sat along the road more than we drove it.

I have seen people have to put $10k into those motors in a year. Some are ok if you do the deletes and stud the heads but IMHO it is a timebomb. I would only buy that truck to swap a Cummins in when the 6.0 died.

The story on the truck is its an r titled truck. It was hit when it was a year old. This guy has had it since 07. He wants a brand new truck but the dealer won't give him much for it with the wrecked bed side and r title. Plus it's base everything. Manual windows and all.

I'm thinking its not worth the risk but I'm at least going to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    The story on the truck is its an r titled truck. It was hit when it was a year old. This guy has had it since 07. He wants a brand new truck but the dealer won't give him much for it with the wrecked bed side and r title. Plus it's base everything. Manual windows and all.

I'm thinking its not worth the risk but I'm at least going to look at it.
    For it to be an R-title after only 1 year there had to have been ALOT of damage. Even stripped down, that was probably a $35-45k+ truck new. I believe most insurance companies will total the vehicle if the damages are 70-80% of the value, so do the math. With that alone, I wouldn't even waste your time going to look at it.

^ Chris makes a very good point. I normally dont look down upon an r title on an older vehicle, but for it to have been totaled at a year old, the damage was likely substantial. If he isn't kicking a good bit of cash, I would avoid it.
    F T W

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    I agree with what chris said too.

When I just started working in the oilfiield, my boss had a whole bunch of F350 and F450's with 6.0's. Seemed like those damn things were sitting in the shop waiting to be fixed more than they were out in service. After a while, my boss would buy a couple at a time at an auction, we'd slap a quick paint job on em with our colors, run them for a few months untill something major went, took the good parts off, then scraped the truck. I mean given the trucks weren't in the greatest shape ever when we got them and everyone beat the piss out of them, the only reason we were using them was because my boss felt like they were cheap and disposable.

Since then I've heard that he getting rid of all the powerstrokes and switching over to all duramax trucks... the lazy ass mechanics I still talk to there said they are no where near as busy anymore. Also, I don't know if all the 6.0's I've towed with were just tired or what... but man were those things dogs. The difference between the 6.0's and the duramax that I always drove with an LB7 (it may or may not have had a wastegate controller, tuner and exhaust) was like night and day.
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

It was in a light roll over. He has had it since 07. He has replaced the high-pressure oil pump as well as the heat exchanger That clogs up. He is also done the glow plugs

It sounds like he fixed it what it would break. It was used to haul horses. He had a private contract To pick up and deliver horses for a farm.

That ended and he no longer tows with it It has been daily driving it for two years. It has just Become a pain. He has started taking his girlfriend's trailblazer And he tried to trade it in But couldn't get much for it with the body damage and title

I don't know I'm at least going to look at it. It can't hurt to look

"...light roll over" lol. How the hell does someone "lightly roll over" a 8k DRW truck?

If he's used it to haul horses, the truck's likely been worked pretty hard its entire life. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like he was using the truck for what it was made for, but do you really want someone else's 100k mile problem?

I'm not trying to be a smarta##, but I think you'd be better off keeping what you have (and i've never even seen your Ram). There's a reason why he can't get what he 'thinks' that truck is worth.

People managed to do it. I see light rollover suburban at auction all the time.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    A queen size air matress will fit in the bed of your truck just fine. Get a cap and be done.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

I think i'm gonna stick with the original Idea of an excursion and just hold out for the one i want... I might still go look at this one but i doubt i'm gonna bite.

I have a feeling it needs an oil cooler... he mentioned seeing a very small puddle of coolant. I'd be willing to bet that's what it is.

I have a feeling it needs an oil cooler... he mentioned seeing a very small puddle of coolant. I'd be willing to bet that's what it is.
    run. coolant puddles with diesels are not usually minor.
    F T W

Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    run. coolant puddles with diesels are not usually minor.
    gonna look at an 01 excursion saturday. 78k miles. it's pre 03 so it has the thin heads but that's not the end of the world.

gonna look at an 01 excursion saturday. 78k miles. it's pre 03 so it has the thin heads but that's not the end of the world.
    An 01 Excursion will be a 7.3 not a 6.0. And that is what engine I would be looking for if I were you. Thats the exact year that mine is.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    An 01 Excursion will be a 7.3 not a 6.0. And that is what engine I would be looking for if I were you. Thats the exact year that mine is.
    It's a gasser

Oh. Find a 7.3 then. Lol
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Thread Information