Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 Chevy opinions

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar

6.0 Chevy opinions

I've been looking at trucks lately and am really starting to consider a chevy with a 6.0. Either a 2500 or more preferably a 1500HD. Anyone have any opinions on the 1500HD's with a 6.0? I wanna go with something a few years old (04-10) with not a shit-ton of miles on it.

I wanted to buy a diesel in the worst way and hot rod it, but they are just out of my price range at the time being. I started looking into hot rodding a 6.0 and was pretty happy with what I found. Super chevy did a budget build using mainly GM parts to get 480hp at the crank... not too shabby. Id love to do that and eventually toss a super charger on it... mmmmmmhmmmmmm!

anyways, opinions? considerations when looking at them?
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Why 1500HD? 2500 would be 9200 GVW and emission exempt.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Really? I thought insurance/registration/inspection/emissions were all more expensive for a 3/4 ton than for a 1/2 or heavy half ton.

I dont really need the additional towing power. All I had planned to tow with it is a Samurai or whatever project car me and my dad are working on. I would probably be fine with a regular 1/2 ton for towing, I just want that 6.0 motor

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    If you get the 1500, you'll have wished you had gotten the 2500. Believe me. If you get the 2500 6.0, you'll have wished you had just gotten a diesel. Believe me
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Correct if I am wrong but this is what I think I know.
    The 1500hd is the same as a 2500LD. What you get is a 6.0, and 4L70 Transmission (which is a beefed up 4L80), and a semi float 14 bolt. Now if you plan on building that engine the 4L70 wont handle it, they don't really handle the 6.0 in general. The 2500HD you would get a much heavier truck. 4l80, full float rear end, and a much heavier frame. I would avoid a 1500hd personally. And I would also avoid buying anything with a diesel, but opinions are like assholes so you know how that goes lol.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MemorEsto View Post
    If you get the 1500, you'll have wished you had gotten the 2500. Believe me. If you get the 2500 6.0, you'll have wished you had just gotten a diesel. Believe me
    ^^Agreed.

Starting out with a 2500 diesel, I have zero regrets. If you want something to hod-rod around in, why not get an actual 'hot-rod'?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    I went the F150 route well see if i regret not going 25/2500 diesel once i hook the jeep to the back
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    We have 2 2500 6.0s here at work. They seem decent. The 05 more than the 08. But that being said. They're a little under impressive for the hype that motor gets.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Quote Originally Posted by PatF10 View Post
    I went the F150 route well see if i regret not going 25/2500 diesel once i hook the jeep to the back
    We are looking at replacing our 08 2500 with an ecoboost.

All I can say is that my Yukon has a 6.0 and it goes like a raped ape! ....and I am a Dodge guy!
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeepH8erTy View Post
    Really? I thought insurance/registration/inspection/emissions were all more expensive for a 3/4 ton than for a 1/2 or heavy half ton.

I dont really need the additional towing power. All I had planned to tow with it is a Samurai or whatever project car me and my dad are working on. I would probably be fine with a regular 1/2 ton for towing, I just want that 6.0 motor
    You can register it any weight you want, but when it comes to emissions they go by the door sticker. So you can register you 9200 GVW truck at 9000lbs and get the $40 cheaper registration but still get the 9001lb emission exemption.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Trail Leader
    Just keep in mind the 6.0 is a horsepower motor, not a torque motor and they like to rev. Tons and tons of aftermarket for it. A cam makes a huge difference in them. None of the series of 6.0's break 400ft-lbs, so when you tow, it will have to spin, the torque curve of them sucks. If you're going to tow all the time, buy a diesel, if not, save yourself the headache and money and buy a gasser. I wanted a diesel in the worst way, still kind of do, but they're the EXACT SAME TRUCK as the gas versions from the top 3, but they cost $5-10,000 more, no thanks. Price injectors, lift pumps, HEUI pump, glow plugs, DPF bullshit....
    Nick Koupiaris

94 toyota truggy, 40s, duals, links and a whole lotta mojo
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/967836-koups-94-reg-cab-build-38-5s-duals-links-etc.html

www.eastcoastgearsupply.com
    919-672-2705

www.mudprometalworks.com
    www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

If you are buying a gas truck, the 6.0L is the vehicle of choice. If not then go Diesel. I hate my 5.3L it's gutless. I wanted a 6.0L when I bought it and couldn't wait, big mistake. The 6.0L has a flat torque curve and gets the job done, yet still pulls decent fuel milage. My next truck will be a 6.0L or a Duramax or a Cummins. The maintenance costs and fuel costs are sheaper for a gas truck, so I been asking my self do I really need a Diesel or is it a want.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

My girlfriends family had a rental business in Greensburg. Their work truck was a 2002 Chevy 2500 6.0 with a 5 speed. They loved that truck when it got up in mileage they traded it in on a Ford 6.0 diesel. Ask her which truck had more balls. The gasser chevy hands down.
    And Highlander maybe your 5.3 needs a tune up or something, mine drags my 7000 pound trailer pretty easily. Maintained 65 the entire turnpike never really struggled.
    I would 80% of people who own a diesel its a want....I know very few people who actually need them. Actually a lot of people who need them are switching to gas. A lot of contractors are, I just read that UPS in converting their trucks to natural gas Chevy 6.0...
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    We found if you want to tow with a 6.0 get the 4:10 gears not the 3:73

I kinda think the older 6.0s run better. Because that 08 we have can't get out of its own way. But the 05 feels like a rocket ship.

That said I'd take my old tundra over either for towing.

The newer 6.0s/6.2s come with a 6 speed auto that makes better use of the power and may make 3.73s liveable.

My 2500hd has the NV4500 and 3.73s. Even with an exhaust and a tune the gaps between gears seem too wide with a trailer on the back, 4.10s would fix that. Otherwise it is a great motor that you can abuse and tune easily. Plan to put some oil in it if you run it hard, the Gen3 motors drink a little oil.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    I kinda think the older 6.0s run better. Because that 08 we have can't get out of its own way. But the 05 feels like a rocket ship.

That said I'd take my old tundra over either for towing.
    the early early ones -99 to i think 01 were gutless. i drove some later ones and liked the power but ended up going budget route and buying a 93 mega cheap.

and as far as emissions goes- i have never heard of any exemption for 3/4 tons. i know all diesels are exempt but i dont believe 3/4 tons are. then again i dont do many emissions on trucks in my shop
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

We have a 01 8.1/Allison combo 2500hd at work. Has 4.10's and is an absolute ANIMAL. It has 160k miles on it and uses some oil, but like was mentioned these motors have an appetite for oil when used hard. I love the 8.1L 496cid motor. Runs circles around 6.0 powerchokes and flat out out runs a stock dmax hands down. Pulls like a freight train to about 4k rpm with a torque curve that is as flat as the great plains. After 4k it keeps pulling but is tailing off and the piston skirts have a tendency to break off over 4k in the 8.1 vortec supposedly we haven't found that weakness yet LOL
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post
    the early early ones -99 to i think 01 were gutless. i drove some later ones and liked the power but ended up going budget route and buying a 93 mega cheap.

and as far as emissions goes- i have never heard of any exemption for 3/4 tons. i know all diesels are exempt but i dont believe 3/4 tons are. then again i dont do many emissions on trucks in my shop
    Yup. Once you get to a certain weight you're exempt.

^ Yup I think it is 9k lbs *** It is 9k it was brought up earlier in this thread. Our HD is exempt as its GVW is 9200.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

9000 and up is emissions exempt. My 2500hd is 9200. It is for sale, btw.

Our Yukon Denali XL has the 6.0L. Tows just fine through the mountains of WV.
    Its fun to mess with most of kids around town as well. Itll hang with a LS1 Trans Am from 50 to 110, then you hit the governor.
    Give them a cam and a tune and they really wake up from what I understand. You can also raise the limiter with a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98 View Post
    ^^Agreed.

Starting out with a 2500 diesel, I have zero regrets. If you want something to hod-rod around in, why not get an actual 'hot-rod'?
    Im starting to think the 2500 is going to be a better choice than a 1500HD for the added strength.... they're easier to find too. And cause I want something practical to be daily driven, can use it to haul crap, and still have a blast driving it all day (even if i'll be going through gas like no one's business)

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolyotaguy View Post
    Just keep in mind the 6.0 is a horsepower motor, not a torque motor and they like to rev. Tons and tons of aftermarket for it. A cam makes a huge difference in them. None of the series of 6.0's break 400ft-lbs, so when you tow, it will have to spin, the torque curve of them sucks. If you're going to tow all the time, buy a diesel, if not, save yourself the headache and money and buy a gasser. I wanted a diesel in the worst way, still kind of do, but they're the EXACT SAME TRUCK as the gas versions from the top 3, but they cost $5-10,000 more, no thanks. Price injectors, lift pumps, HEUI pump, glow plugs, DPF bullshit....
    The samurai will be the heaviest thing i tow... the XJ could prob handle it haha should have more than enough power to handle that. And yea, I know about the how much everything is. I never realized that till Furry got into the details and told me like it was with how expensive crap is for those... one of these days... I will have one lol

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    9000 and up is emissions exempt. My 2500hd is 9200. It is for sale, btw.
    What's going on with it? Details? Is it a long bed?

DMG's truck is a 01' 6.0L 5 SPEED 4 dr crew cab short bed. I was looking at it. IMHO it's the perfect configuration.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Thread Information