Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 05 6.0 Power Stroke really a nightmare?

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Tow ratings will always baffle me. My 96 K1500 was rated at 6,500 my moms 96 Caddy was rated at 7,000 my 2002 Silverado is rated for 7,800. It will be interesting to see what happens to all these ratings when the SAE towing standards take effect.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

yeah. my bad, i transposed the numbers my factory hitch says 6700 hundred online it says 6300. i'll probably never get up that high but i definitely think it'll pull it. it's a strong little truck
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Pulling usually isn't the problem. Stopping that much weight is what I would be worried about with a smaller truck like that.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

isn't that what trailer brakes are for theoretically?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    yea but only up to a certain point...probably somewhere close to the rated weight
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

I drive a 6.0 every day. They run way better than 7.3 they do have some problems but aleast half of the problems and caused by lack of maintance. The 7.3 you could do or not do what ever you wanted and run almost anything for fuel. 6.0 not so much. Dont ever be afraid of buying one i work on them and not to hard to do. and you could always ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by HeepH8erTy View Post
    yea but only up to a certain point...probably somewhere close to the rated weight
    Trailer brakes should absolutely be able to stop the entire load plus. My trailer brakes will considerably slow the whole setup including the truck. There's a lot that gets factored into a vehicles tow rating.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Quote Originally Posted by KUGS View Post
    I drive a 6.0 every day. They run way better than 7.3 they do have some problems but aleast half of the problems and caused by lack of maintance. The 7.3 you could do or not do what ever you wanted and run almost anything for fuel. 6.0 not so much. Dont ever be afraid of buying one i work on them and not to hard to do. and you could always ask for help.
    I don't want to put down your truck and I am glad it works for you but the 6.0 has been one of the worst diesels since the GM gas-converted-to-diesel debacle.

Any motor that needs head studs, egr deletes, etc to be considered reliable is a pos.

Ask any Ford dealer how many 6.0 trucks they have had to buy back.

Talk to the owners who have had to spend 10k on a new fuel system because it was 'contaminated'.

When they run, they will outrun my 7.3, no doubt about it (the Torqshift tranny helps, too) but I work on cars and trucks for a living and so do a lot of my friends. I wanted a newer super duty but after researching it, I had to buy the last year of the 7.3 to get a decent motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sycotik Skier View Post
    isn't that what trailer brakes are for theoretically?
    Trailer brakes are for stopping the load but a truck should be able to stop the truck and trailer if the trailer brakes fail. Even if it only stops them once.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    I don't want to put down your truck and I am glad it works for you but the 6.0 has been one of the worst diesels since the GM gas-converted-to-diesel debacle.

Any motor that needs head studs, egr deletes, etc to be considered reliable is a pos.

Talk to the owners who have had to spend 10k on a new fuel system because it was 'contaminated'.

When they run, they will outrun my 7.3, no doubt about it (the Torqshift tranny helps, too) but I work on cars and trucks for a living and so do a lot of my friends. I wanted a newer super duty but after researching it, I had to buy the last year of the 7.3 to get a decent motor.
    Agreed
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Only 6.0 I'd buy is the Chevy gas motor lol
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by joe_and_jeep View Post
    Only 6.0 I'd buy is the Chevy gas motor lol
    I have the 6.0/NV4500 in my 2500HD. It needs some RPM to make power towing but unloaded it will surprise some cars, especially with the tune and 93 octane.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have the 6.0 auto in my 2500HD, think the tune made a difference?
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by joe_and_jeep View Post
    I have the 6.0 auto in my 2500HD, think the tune made a difference?
    Especially in an auto because it will eliminate the torque management. As well as add fuel and timing across the RPM range.

sorry for interupting this thread. I was just always curious about trailer brakes and it's always baffled me why some vehicles have substantially higher tow ratings than others. I understood the upgrades in braking and what not. It just confused me since anything heavy is going to have trailer brakes and those trailer brakes should be more than competent of stopping the trailer regardless of what is pulling it. Would my truck be ideal for towing at 6300 lbs? nope but it'd be nice to know that if i needed to tow that much I could

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Dave what tune are you running I looked at the black bear but don't know if its worth it or not. Any help at all on mpg? Haha
    02 Wrangler - Cut stretched and getting 1tons
    Companies that have treated me well
    [URL="http://www.4wd.com"]www.4wd.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.completeoffroad.com"]www.completeoffroad.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.currieenterprises.com/"]www.currieenterprises.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.northridge4x4.com"]www.northridge4x4.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.polyperformance.com/"]www.polyperformance.com[/URL]
    [U][COLOR=#0066cc][URL="http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com"]www.ruffstuffspecialties.com[/URL][/COLOR][/U]
    [URL="http://www.tuffyproducts.com"]www.tuffyproducts.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/"][COLOR=#ffcc00]http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post

I can almost understand where your coming from. And we can go back and forth all day. I am not standing up for how ford handled the 6.0 but not all of the trucks were that bad. But putting heads studs in for a more durable engine is not different than making any other mods to make anything on any other car/truck more durable. I like the engine i think when they stock and have had the proper upkeep they make a great engine. But i digress

Quote Originally Posted by Peccavi18 View Post
    Dave what tune are you running I looked at the black bear but don't know if its worth it or not. Any help at all on mpg? Haha
    Black Bear is supposed to be excellent. I used Wayne Hartwig on Pirate. 150 and free re-tunes for life if you change the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by KUGS View Post
    I can almost understand where your coming from. And we can go back and forth all day. I am not standing up for how ford handled the 6.0 but not all of the trucks were that bad. But putting heads studs in for a more durable engine is not different than making any other mods to make anything on any other car/truck more durable. I like the engine i think when they stock and have had the proper upkeep they make a great engine. But i digress
    Yeah, I really dont want to argue with you, either. I wish the 6.0 was as reliable as the 7.3, I wanted a newer truck than an early 03.

Quote Originally Posted by Sycotik Skier View Post
    sorry for interupting this thread. I was just always curious about trailer brakes and it's always baffled me why some vehicles have substantially higher tow ratings than others. I understood the upgrades in braking and what not. It just confused me since anything heavy is going to have trailer brakes and those trailer brakes should be more than competent of stopping the trailer regardless of what is pulling it. Would my truck be ideal for towing at 6300 lbs? nope but it'd be nice to know that if i needed to tow that much I could
    In PA trailers with GVW above 2500 pounds need brakes. Your truck would tow 6300 pounds fine with good trailer brakes, a good controller and a weight distribution hitch. I grossed 14,000 pounds with the above mentioned items in my 97 T100 towing a load of scrap a few years back. It was slow but manageable. I was thinking it was 6-7000 pounds and when I saw 139xx on the scale readout I almost shit. Truck weighed under 4500.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    So hypothetically if my 01 Tacoma with a 3.4 would pull a 2,000 lb car on a 1,000 lb trailer as long as I have trailer brakes, a good controller but using a beefed up trail gear bumper as the hitch would I have to worry about sway or anything like that?
    -Ian-

Quote Originally Posted by Leady View Post
    So hypothetically if my 01 Tacoma with a 3.4 would pull a 2,000 lb car on a 1,000 lb trailer as long as I have trailer brakes, a good controller but using a beefed up trail gear bumper as the hitch would I have to worry about sway or anything like that?
    If you loaded it to give the right tongue weight it would do fine with that load. My T100 had the same 3.4 and we towed car trailers and other stuff regularly with it.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Cool. I'm glad to hear someone else's first hand experience. All I've seen on different forums was opinions that varied a lot. I was starting to think I should've bought an old beater truck for wheeling and a diesel to haul my car. I'm sure it's not gonna be very fun towing my car on a trailer to Maryland or Ohio it can be done.
    -Ian-

If you have big tires on the taco throw some stock size tires on for towing aired up to the max on the sidewall. And a weight distribution hitch will make it handle much better. You may have to move the car back or forward on the trailer to get the tongue weight forward enough to prevent sway but not too far to sag the rear.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I dunno though cause if I do a sas I'm gonna put 5.29's in it so puttin stock tires on would be bad. I am starting to think I should've bought an old beater yota and a tow rig cause its gonna suck towin with my taco either way.
    -Ian-

Thread Information