Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

ZOMBIE Ramcharger LIVES!!!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZOMBIE Ramcharger LIVES!!!

Less posting, more wheeling!

Lightbulb ZOMBIE Ramcharger LIVES!!!

Well... ALMOST...

It is slowly, but surely, coming BACK to life. After sitting in a shed for the better part of 7 years, I've finally gotten the help and resources needed to at least try and get it to pass state inspection!

Here's what I inherited back in the fall of '06 - and it had mostly been sitting for a year & a half at THAT point, after being a daily driver for most of its life.

A nice, but tired, 1992 Dodge Ramcharger LE150 - 318 V-8, MPFI, 727 Torqueflite, NP241 Transfer case, 9 1/4" rear end - indeterminate front axle at this point (I'll post the vin code and data plates on here for Dodge experts to chime in on), and 135,000 miles - not a few of which were Pittsburgh-to-west-Texas road trips, where the original owner was from.

I inherited this beast in the fall of '06, with the INTENTION of making it a trail rig, as the factory 11mpg city/13mpg highway was a bit much for a daily driver... so last year, I promptly bought a Jeep Commander for a daily driver, that gets 10.5 mpg city...

THAT said, my local mechanic offered to work on it as a side project at his house, as he knew my children were Autistic, and he wanted to help. I bought the parts, and he did the labor for free. That worked well... for a while... until he took a job in the Marcellus shale fields a few years ago. So my truck just sat in his shed for a few more years.

I'd already bought a complete 4 1/2" Rough Country lift kit for it from Top Gun Customz down in TN, as well as five (5) Courser M/T 36" tires for it, and five (5) 15x10 Pacer custom wheels (wanted the matching full-size spare, obviously), and those were still sitting in the garage of my local Goodyear dealer.

I'd also bought from Kennesaw Mountain Products in GA (now Tactical Armor Group) a custom rear bumper, with an INTEGRAL swing-out tire gate, built to spec to haul a 36x15x10 spare around on (also has a Jerry can holder, hi-lift jackstorage, cb antenna mount, license plate frame, and D shackles. That was a cool $750, and it was still shrink-wrapped to the pallet it was shipped on - sitting in an empty classroom of my church for the past 5 years!

Nonetheless, I didn't see a lotta future for the old gal, and was thinking of either scrapping or selling it as recently as this May, but a new member at my church offered to help, after we got to talking about cars one day. He owns a custom shop in Carnegie, and does all manner of metal fabrication/vehicle work there. I told him I had all the parts - mostly just need the lift kit installed, and I'd take care of the rest, but he decided he wanted to do more - including bodywork, sanding, primering, painting, and even building a custom front bumper and new exhaust system for it!

In early August, he took his rollback over to my former mechanic's house, and picked up all the pieces. Here's a small photo retrospective of his work to date!

Passenger side UP!

Interior needs work now (some of the "handiwork" by moi - with a stereo HALF(ass)-installed... )

Of course, a LOT of its own parts and pieces are being stored inside itself at this point, too.

Lift is done!

Some closeups of this custom front bumper (spot welds and temporarily clamped to evaluate fitment)

Made of box steel, it drops low enough to pass state inspection - the center part will be cut out, and a shelf installed, suitable for mounting a winch recessed into the bumper!

Bumper is now finished, save for setting up the recessed winch mount and painting.

Here's some pics from last week - it's now bondo'd (meh... it's a trail rig ) - and almost ready to be painted!

You get a good look at the custom rear bumper this way!

It's getting down to the nitty-gritty now - it gets painted this week (to sand, primer, and paint this monster would be $4k+ at any reputable shop. I'm getting it for free, but STILL don't know what color it's going to be! I know "silver" will be a large part of it, but beyond that... Beggars of course, don't get to be choosers!), and then it's off to Monro Muffler for new brake and fuel lines (the originals rotted away), and whatever other work we need to get it to pass inspection at THIS point.

Assuming Obama doesn't confiscate ALL our tax refunds this year, my INTENTION is to do a ring & pinion swap (to 4.10's - currently 3.50 geared) and add a Transpak/Shift kit to the 727 this spring. I might splurge for the winch at that time, too. Long range plans include tearing down the engine (which still runs strong, holds compression, etc.), adding machined 360 heads, new pistons, torque-ier crank, etc. I've got some Warn lock-out hubs ready for it too. ANY extra mpg's in THIS beast will be appreciated, and I figure the lock-out hubs will make GETTING to the outdoors a little less costly!

I'd like to do re-do the interior completely (droopy headliner has GOT to go - welcome to the late 80's/early '90's droopy headliner flashback! ) - doing the seats in some sort of faux leather, that cleans up easily. I'd LOVE to tear out ALL the carpet and just rhinoline the entire floor - make it so you could run a hose and WASH the truck out... but that may not be ENTIRELY feasible, given how many wires run along the floor in even a 20 year old truck. I think I WILL rhinoline the cargo area though, as this will still be our Boy Scout War Wagon - suitable for throwing backpacks, gear, chuckboxes, and the like into. Getting that factory spare OUT of the cargo area REALLY opens 'er up back there!

It'll be a zombiecrusher for certain - a good BoV, if it comes to that - & hopefully more than up to the task of cruising the Alleghenies. But she's DEFINITELY a zombie herself, having come close to the scrapyard THREE times now (it got hit in the passenger side when the original owner had it, but he refused to have it totaled, and got it repaired instead - when he passed away, his wife was about to scrap it, when she offered it to me instead. I ALMOST scapped it this spring, but found some much-needed help in the nick of time). It might FINALLY see the out-of-doors yet!

Here's those vin code/data plates/sheet, if anyone is an expert in reading these things - if someone could give me an idea of what all I have here to start with. Especially as to what my front axle might be (make/model).

That sheet under the hood is REALLY faded, but I figure the same info is coded on the data plate.

Any & all feedback is welcome and appreciated. And if you're handy with a wrench, engines & drivetrains, and are in the Pittsburgh area, gimme a shout, if you want in on the engine/drivetrain/interior re-do. I actually need a lead on a good local upholstery shop - the headliner needs done PRONTO!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I dig it. Just needs a plow.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Dodge is a damn fine vehicle... killed my wife with a dodge.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Nice work. On the dodge, not the wife killing

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    I think we need more info.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

I love the ramchargers. I almost bought an old one with the removeable top and a 440.

Very nice! I like it, it has a good stance. What color are you planning for it?
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Married With Children...don't remember which episode though...
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    Very nice! I like it, it has a good stance. What color are you planning for it?
    I THINK it's going to be a 2-tone silver & black! I'll know by Friday!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI

Quote Originally Posted by HoodRN View Post
    Married With Children...don't remember which episode though...
    is it hte one where the dodge gets sent to hte crusher cause hte city thinks its abandon?
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Looks like I mangled it a little.

Dodge is a damn fine car. Ran over my wife with a Dodge.
    Seriously, very cool, and very cool to see those guys help you out.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

i have no friggin idea why but i want to run out and pick one of these up now... ugh, wayyy too much on the plate. keep the pics coming!
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    i have no friggin idea why but i want to run out and pick one of these up now... ugh, wayyy too much on the plate. keep the pics coming!
    They're QUITE affordable these days - even the '92 & '93 models. I've seen 'em stock, in better shape than mine, for around $2500. Nab one, and get ta' wrenchin'!

Cool Painted!!!

Went by today to talk to Jimmy about keeping it at his place a few more weeks. My other mechanic is down with a bad knee that he blew out pushing a Honda across the lot (I asked him, "If you can't push a Honda, how're you gonna push my RAMCHARGER?!?! :P )

Sure enough, it's BEEN painted!!!

In fact, he added the red factory pin stripe BACK to it, which set it off better than I thought it would. And it's two-tone again, although not QUITE like the factory had it. Here we go!

The top color, is a flat metalflake dark grey (the bright sunshine today played havoc with my auto-exposure - I only have one pic that really does it justice) - the bottom, a flat black. For flat colors (easy to touch up again after a good BRUSH run...), they really pop a LOT more than I expected them too (I was expecting more like the flat military colors of HUMVEES and Ma Dueces, than this!). Here's some more!

I'm wearing my red BSA windbreaker, hence the reddish reflection on the fender here.

Check out this front bumper now!

Looking down here between the bodywork and the bumper, you can see the shelf for the winch to mount to. The fairleads come out the front, and you're good to go!

That's Jimmy, on the far left, FYI.

A decent shot of the rear hatch and bumper here - they popped the red plastic off the bottom of the "Dodge" plate, as it had collected a fair amount of crud over the years, and we don't need any MORE rust promotion on this hotrod! Wayne, Jimmy's right hand man, suggested red reflector tape... and that ain't a half-bad idea!

Been looking for SOMETHING to demonstrate scale, as to the height on this monster. I saw this 5 gallon plastic gas can nearby, and it's DIRECTLY UNDER the corner of the bumper here. It's about 2' high, for reference.

Jimmy's doin' it up right! Here's the inside of the doors - sanded and ready to likewise be painted!

This was probably the best picture of the bunch, to really see the paint and how well it works together.

I have dreamed - for 6 years - of this truck LOOKING this good... and now it actually does! They still have some frame/lift work to do - needs the second set of rear shocks installed as well. Once the brake & gas lines are done, then we can knock off some of the scale and start undercoating it. But another B-I-G hurdle is now cleared - the bodywork and paint is just about DONE!!!

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Wow, that thing looks sweet.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    yea man, definitely lookin badass!
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

love the color combo, starting to look like a hot rod.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Cool MORE pics!

Well, we JUST got done wrestling it into a new resting spot until after the new year. It's over here by the house, as Jimmy's done as much as he can on his end for the time being. It needs fuel lines and brake lines immediately - that come the first of January. Other things we've "discovered" of late;

- Liftgate pistons: they're now shot.
    - New exhaust: debating getting headers while I'm at. Some cheap ass Thrush glasspacks and turn 'em out the side behind the doors!
    - Flip seat anchor weld. Yeah... it's half broken (but the piston there WORKS!!!).

Once the brake/fuel lines are done, we can get it undercoated as well. I'm off to AAA tomorrow, to get the registration renewed (it expired 2/08! ). I've kept it insured the W-H-O-L-E time (in case it exploded and burned down my mechanic's house!) - NOW where's that &%^*%%&$%# insurance card?!?!

Well, enough of my headaches - here's some pics from earlier today, outside the shop!

It got rolled outside last night. The second set of rear shocks has been installed, a few more holes under the unibody puttied, and some other painting done. It has no fuel lines, and no brake lines - so it can't start OR stop right now... but it makes a HELLUVA paperweight!!!

That said, it's REALLY quite photogenic at this point, so here's some more to look at!

Well, PART of the insides of the doors got painted.

This'll inhibit rust and seal the edges most exposed to the elements!

The interior is greatly cleaned up now.

It's a work in progress still - in fact, Jimmy's going on vacation, and can't leave it in the shop, so it's going to sit at my place for a couple of weeks, until my man at Monro is healed up, and can install the brake and fuel lines, and then get started on everything else, to get it to pass inspection & start rolling again.

I got some pics of my son tonite (I woke him up, just to go out and look at it! ) in the driver's seat, and in front of it, although I can't download them here at the house at the moment. I'll post those tomorrow - he loved being lifted up INTO it!

that thing looks great! one question? why does the bumper hang down so low? it looks like itll get in hte way offroad.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Apparently PA is one of those states where the bumper can only be so high off the ground. That's the 'cheat' for that requirement. Also, that's where the winch will be housed.

Ah lift laws, funny story about lift laws. Any inspection mechanic can call me on this as I am not sure. But, I was told that lift laws are only on the books for trucks, with different heights for 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc. Since my Scout and your ram charger are both station wagons, atleast mine is. They are exempt. Something to think about.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    Ah lift laws, funny story about lift laws. Any inspection mechanic can call me on this as I am not sure. But, I was told that lift laws are only on the books for trucks, with different heights for 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc. Since my Scout and your ram charger are both station wagons, atleast mine is. They are exempt. Something to think about.
    True enough. While I'll hafta actually measure it, I don't think it's any lower than the front diff! Granted, you DON'T want to try and up & over a boulder with it - or high center it on THAT point.

It will really F up your departure angle. I will try to look in the inspection book to see what the legal bumper height is for station wagons.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Apparently PA is one of those states where the bumper can only be so high off the ground. That's the 'cheat' for that requirement. Also, that's where the winch will be housed.
    My understanding was that if you replaced the bumper you are not aloud to have dropped sections. In this case they would measure it from where the bumper bolts to the frame. its been a few years since I looked at the book but that is how it was explained to me.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Thread Information