Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Maybe buying a truck
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe buying a truck

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar

Maybe buying a truck

This truck belongs to a co-worker of my father and I can get it for $22k...

2007 Chevrolet avalanche - $23000 (Blairsville )

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche very good condition. Black leather interior. New battery, digital trailer brake controller, tinted front windows. 83,500 miles.

It has every option but navigation and with the mileage, the NADA rough trade-in is about $24k, so it isn't a screaming deal, but fair.

It's come time to shit or get off the pot and buy a "real" vehicle I guess. Have to start looking professional at work and all. Plus I don't think the caliber of women I associate with are going to find my jeep "cute" for much longer.

80% of my yearly driving is on my motorcycle so mileage isn't HUGE for me, but the Avalanche does well at 20+ mpg on trips and 16-18 around town. My daily M-F commute is 40 miles total.

I'm doing just fine with my 89 XJ getting about the same mileage. I'm ready to make it a dedicated wheeler though. It's no longer cool I guess. And the electrical issue is still on-going. AND some ass clown broke the windshield with a beer bottle and that just isn't going to get fixed (no it wasn't me).

I'm drawn to the Avalanche because my dad is on his third and I'm used to driving, towing, and using the features of the Avalanche cargo area which have worked well for me. I like the dedicated hard top and the space in the quad cab is great.

I'm not excited about the monthly payment, but I can get a 3.75% rate through my credit union, which is affordable. I'm approved for it so I'm just contemplating it some more before pulling the trigger.

At first I thought about buying a newer XJ or even a beater car, and having that for a DD, then making the 89 XJ a street legal wheeler. That would certainly be the cheapest route.

Now I'm thinking I should get this avalanche, a cheap tandem axle 16' or 18' trailer from craigslist, and tow my XJ like I have enjoyed doing with my dad's truck and trailer in the recent past.

I feel like the Avalanche is a good size. Not too small that it can't tow an XJ on a trailer, and not a huge truck. I can only recall have one or two scary moments pulling a trailer with the Avalanche, and those were my own fault for not allowing enough braking distance or going too fast. When I really need to move something big I always have the Deuce to fall back on.

Borrowing my dad's truck and trailer is off the table. I'm a big boy now. Time to get my own junk.

So does anyone have some constructive advice? Reasons I shouldn't buy this truck or reasons I should do something else?

Those chrome door handles and mirror covers would have to go.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 12-13-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Seems like a lot of $ for a truck with 80k+ but otherwise pretty nice.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    they hold their value like crazy.

there's an 03 or 04 2500 avalanche on CL with the 8.1 for like 10 k with similar miles btw...
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    This is kind of what I was thinking. I was finding '10 quad cab dodges and Chevy 1500 for around that kind of money with 30-40k mi. It's almost 6 yrs old. If what Dunbar say is true (and I don't doubt him a bit) then maybe it's an ok deal, but if it hasn't started depreciating yet, when will it start to do so at a rapid rate?
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Wow, that's more than I just picked up a brand spanking new Grand Vitara with all options for, 0% APR over 4 years. Apples and oranges, I know, but I don't think I could pay that much for anything with 80k on the clock unless it's a 1 ton diesel!
    Last edited by OverkillZJ; 12-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Make sure it does not have air ride.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

I think you could get a lot more truck for a lot less money. I paid 10k for mine. In 2009 for a 2002 Chevy K1500 ext cab, z71 with 40,000 miles on the ticker. Something to think about. I always go a little older with less miles I seem to get much better deals that way.
    I was told by a used car salesman once (so take it for what its worth). That used cars drop the highest percentage in value from 5-6 years old. So I always looked in the 6-7 year range.
    My only real advice, decide what you need, decide what you can affor and stick to it.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

That's something to think about...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Maybe I should sell my Silverado 2500, they hold their value like crazy.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

i don't know what it is about the avalanches but they do hold their value. ventresco is trying to find a nice one right now and him and i were talking about it.

looks like that 2500 avalanche is gone. it's off CL.

Trail Leader
    My 08 Tundra may be for sale shortly. It's the same one I brought to your house a while ago. I should be under the price of that Avalanche with less than 50k on the clock. I'd never sell the truck, but I have a company truck that I have full use of.
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

Thanks, but I think I'm set on the Avalanche at this point, now I'm just looking at 2005 and 2006 models.

This ain't too bad...

Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 12-13-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Out of curiosity, what attracts you to the Avalanche instead of a half-ton extended cab Silverado or Sierra of comparable options?
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

If you plan on towing with it. I would stay away from the 1500 because of the rear coils. And like I said before I would make sure it does not have air ride.
    Last edited by tjblair; 12-13-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Does that have a 5.3?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    Out of curiosity, what attracts you to the Avalanche instead of a half-ton extended cab Silverado or Sierra of comparable options?
    I guess mostly the way the bed is always covered, the tool boxes in the bed sides, etc. you can easily camp in the back by putting down the back seats and throwing an air mattress in the bed. You can keep most things you put in the bed out of the weather and secure from theft. A hard tonneau cover on a regular truck isn't near as easy to take on and off on a whim.

Oh and a lot of the time I find myself transporting lots of long guns when I'm going to the range. It's really nice to threw them all in the back of the avalanche that locks and is secure.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 12-13-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    Does that have a 5.3?
    Yes

not trying to thrw your decision one way or another but the Undercover tonneau cover is pretty secure and easily removed in like 15 seconds
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    My girlfriends dad and brother both have an avalanche. They are nice trucks but its essentially a 1/2 ton 4 door with a sweet tonneau cover minus that back seat deal. If the back seat doesn't make or break it for you, I would get a pickup. You can save $10,000 that way.
    -Ian-

The 5.3 does nothing for me. I know some guys like it. But I was never impressed.

i had a k1500 with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears. it was an ok runner untill i towed. it struggled with the jeep and even towing a couple of jetskis was a chore with it.
    F T W

I dunno, I must be the only guy with a positive exp, but I tow the Scout close to 7,000 pounds with my 5.3 chevy I think it does fine. Everyone who ever rode with me thought it was fine as well....
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

i got tired of towing the jeep (around 7k with trailer) with the engine screaming on any hill i came to. it did it, just not pleasantly. the turnpike tunnel hills were a different story. i needed the blinkers there
    F T W

I towed a Chevy Venture behind my dad's 2012 Avalanche yesterday with the 5.3 in it. Reinforced it for me. The Avalanche tows just fine up hills and all over.

Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    i got tired of towing the jeep (around 7k with trailer) with the engine screaming on any hill i came to. it did it, just not pleasantly. the turnpike tunnel hills were a different story. i needed the blinkers there
    That hill is a killer.

It'll get it done. But like you said, you'll be working it pretty hard in the hills.

When I bought the truck I have now I specifically looked for a hemi or 6.0 Chevy.

Thread Information