Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Maybe buying a truck - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe buying a truck

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    02 isn't a hemi
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Glad you found the truck you were lookin for Josh
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

PghOffRoad Regular
    I have an 07 Silverado 1500 quad cab with a 5.3 and it runs pretty damn good, gets decent fuel mileage, and tows fairly well. I also have a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 quad with a 6.7 Cummins so I have something to compare it to. Both are automatics and obviously the 5.3 won't tow as well as the 6.7 but I think you'll be very happy with it. Congratulations on your new truck and as long as you're happy with it, thats all that matters.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Like you didn't know this picture was coming...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I always like the front on the Avalanches/Suburban/Tahoe. I wish they had used it on the trucks too.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post

Makes me want to line up next to him with mine.
    I guess he forgot about our trip back from WV after stripping Mykals XJ down.
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

Purdy truck there Josh!
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorox View Post
    I guess he forgot about our trip back from WV after stripping Mykals XJ down.
    Ummmm I won and wasn't really trying. Not really sure what your getting at here ?
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    Also makes me miss my tundra.

5.7 I force>hemi>5.3

The hemi likes revs too. That's why guys put 4.56s in them with stock tires.
    Not to keep beating a dead horse, but in a recent experience I found that the 5.0 in a 2012 F-150 will out run a 5.7 Tundra. Now we aren't really comparing apples to apples tho. The F-150 was just an extended cab with 20K less miles. The Tundra was a crew cab and had a fiberglass cap on it. Just by seat of the pants driving tho I felt if they were set up the same the 5.0 would give the 5.7 a real challange.

I was really surprised with the new 5.0 and have been told the eco-boost is just as good, if not better. I haven't drove a brand new ram with a hemi yet. Regarless, most new fullsize pickups make any of their older counterparts seem just that, older...
    1979 Corvette
    1991 4.0l YJ
    2001 F-150

Trail Leader
    THe only way that I'll drag race a Tundra/F150/6.0 Chevy/etc. is if we're both pulling 10,000 lbs. Otherwise, I'm just chugging.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Loving the truck so far. Been getting 15mpg but I find myself driving it like I'm still in my jeep. I'm giving it too much gas like I have the straight 6 under the hood still. I have to get used to this v8 thing.

One thing I found is that my tailgate wouldn't lock with the doors. There is no place for a key either so I couldn't manually lock it. This is something I need basically. Well some research shows the locking tailgate was an option for this year, so that's a bummer, but wait! I'm looking at the tailgate and I notice it has a reverse camera. That's odd, because the truck doesn't have an in dash screen or a mirror with a back up camera screen. I take the plastic off the tailgate and sure enough there is an electric lock and a backup camera in there with the wires cut. For some reason this tailgate was put on the this truck from one that was loaded. Not sure how to use the backup camera but I'm waiting to hear from guys on the avalanche forum where I need to connect the wires from the tailgate lock. Hopefully the wires are already run under the back of the truck so I don't have to run wires to the door locks in the cab.

Maybe it was hit or something and they found that one in a yard, nice score really.
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]

Got the tailgate lock working today. Found the plug for the wires under the rear bumper. Talk about easy fix.

Next is the trailer brake controller. Should be easy wiring as well. Heck it's even explained in the owner's manul.

I'm looking at getting a leveling kit. I don't like how low the front end sits, and I'm not towing my jeep without a weight distribution hitch.

I see these cheap kits that are some kind of simple "C" shaped piece that bolts between the bottom strut mount and the lower A-arm. I see the more expensive rings for the top of the strut. Considering this is a driver and not a wheeler, any reason I shouldn't go with the cheaper one?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I've seen the same thing for my 1500 GMC. I'm inclined to go with the RC kit. They're only like $65.
    Something catchy goes here.

Trail Leader
    Rancho sells a whole lift strut as well for leveling. Much more expensive but.....another option.
    1999 RCSB Silverado, 4.8, clapped out 4l60E, NP241 swap, SYE, 3-Link SAS, King 2.5 10'' travel coilovers, 300/350 dual rate, Dana 44/60 combo, 4.10s, 16x10 simulated steelies, 35 MT ATZ's (SOLD)
    2002 ECSB, 5.13, Cammed, Stalled, Work in Progress
    2004 ECSB 5.3, LT's, No Kittens, K&N CAI, 412 Motorsports tuned
    85 K10 work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by dan58 View Post
    I've seen the same thing for my 1500 GMC. I'm inclined to go with the RC kit. They're only like $65.
    Yup that's the cheap one I'm looking at. It's a polymer part, so it can't be seeing too much stress. I'm tempted to buy it from amazon, make my own out of steel, and return it lol.

Trail Leader
    i have a set of steel top rings for a 08 silverado 1500.... never put them on, ill check the part number next time im at my moms if your interested
    I am looking forward to regretting this

Let me know.

Trail Leader
    i lef tthem at work.. ill take a pic and post in the am... there alum not steel...
    I am looking forward to regretting this

Any part numbers? Or know who made them? 1" or 2"?

Trail Leader
    Its a skyjacker 2 in... part number c720ms...

Found a 2" bottom-style leveling kit for $38 on ebay.

All these installation instructions I find are pretty over the top I think...disconnect top ball joint, disconnect tie rod end, disconnect sway bar...am I only person that trusts harbor freight spring compressors? Guess so!
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 07-19-2013 at 10:29 AM.

The Avalanche has been a great truck for hauling stuff.

But it has started exhibiting a pretty bad problem since the 3 month used car warranty ran out lol.

Randomly when I start it, it will blow a nice big cloud of blue smoke for a few seconds. Only twice have I seen it doing it during driving upon acceleration. Also oil consumption seems to be up, requiring a quart of oil pretty frequently.

From the Avalanche forum, this seems to be a pretty common problem related to the 07 model year. The major cause is the Active Fuel Management (AFM) which switches between V8 and V4 mode. There is a pressure relief valve that unintentionally shoots oil at the #7 cylinder wall and causes the rings to clog up, then forcing oil into that cylinder. The second cause is the bad PCV valve built into the left hand valve cover that deposits excessive oil.

Chevy's fix originally was to put a deflector shield on the pressure relief valve and change the valve cover. Really bad motors got a rebuild. My truck seems to have been typical, no signs of trouble for years, then it just hits.

So now, the damage may be done to my rings, but I'm going to try some things to prevent further damage and hopefully, keep my truck going without a rebuild.

Some factory info here: TSB 12-06-01-001B http://powertrainintegration.com/Ser...06-01-001B.pdf

My PCM is now on its way to Black Bear Performance to get the AFM turned off for $55. Most people go this route now instead of installing the baffle shield, because of other issues with the AFM. Effect on mileage in this area with hills should be minimal. I have a new cover from Dorman to put on while the truck is down, then when the computer gets back I'll pull the plugs, put in an upper cylinder cleaner to try and clean up the rings if it's possible, blow it out, change the oil, and put in some new plugs.

Ah the joy of buying an expensive newer vehicle so you don't have to work on your old jeep anymore.

Oh look I bought a truck, AGAIN!

2005 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab

The good:
    Got it for $8200
    5.3L, no leaks, runs like a champ
    NO RUST - rockers and frame are insanely clean
    New tires, back bumper, and Interstate battery

The bad:
    164k miles (I aint scurred!)
    Smoker owned so it needs a deep clean
    Center console is broken so to the junkyard I go