Thread: Hypothetical Ohio to PA move with guns question

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

Hypothetical Ohio to PA move with guns question

In ohio you can sell person to person (even hand guns) with no FFL required.

what if someone moves to PA with a boatload of guns purchased like that? I had an old antique colt that i bought in ohio like that. It was sold before i left ohio but what if i had moved to PA with it... My buddy was asking too. He wants to move to PA and he has a crapload of guns. Some of them aren't in his name because they were purchased like this.

What then?

Just curious.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Neither state has a firearm registry so no worries. The PSP maintains a partial registry of handgun transactions but it is by no means complete nor is your inclusion mandatory as a state resident with a firearm. If you purchase a handgun as an Ohio resident and bring it to PA with you when you move then no worries. Now if he has NFA items like a machine gun, suppressor, etc proper notification must be sent to the ATF.

Now the disclaimer.

Some police officers in this state have a misunderstanding of the intention, scope, and legal use of the PSP handgun transaction database. If you're pulled over (your first mistake) and for some reason your vehicle is searched (your second mistake) and your firearm is discovered (oooo third mistake) and they run the serial number and it doesn't come up in that database, then it could be subject to illegal seizure by a misinformed officer. It has happened before. I don't worry about it, but FYI.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 02-12-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Neither state has a firearm registry so no worries. The PSP maintains a partial registry of handgun transactions but it is by no means complete nor is your inclusion mandatory as a state resident with a firearm. If you purchase a handgun as an Ohio resident and bring it to PA with you when you move then no worries. Now if he has NFA items like a machine gun, suppressor, etc proper notification must be sent to the ATF.

Now the disclaimer.

Some police officers in this state have a misunderstanding of the intention, scope, and legal use of the PSP handgun transaction database. If you're pulled over (your first mistake) and for some reason your vehicle is searched (your second mistake) and your firearm is discovered (oooo third mistake) and they run the serial number and it doesn't come up in that database, then it could be subject to illegal seizure by a misinformed officer. It has happened before. I don't worry about it, but FYI.
    so lawfully owning the firearm is enough? i was just wondering because i know people get all worked up about "what if it's not in your name" and stuff.

Same thing with what do you do if he wants to sell those hand guns? can he transfer them?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    As they say, possession in 9/10ths of the law.

If you legally own it, and are legally carrying it (when you move here, get a resident License To Carry Firearms) and are going about your lawful buisness, you should never have a problem. like Josh said, the PSP maintains a sales record database (illegal, but hey... ), and i have seen that bite people when they do their number run through the computers, but you have to voulntarily give that info up in the first place. Remember, dont consent (dont fight it either) to a search of your belongings.

But it shouldnt ever get to that point... and if you plan on selling them, they really only record the number and then do a check on the person buying.

Basically, move here, and welcome to PA. Bring your cool toys, but might need to leave some of the overly rusted behicles at home.

Now anything NFA on the other hand... thats a fed matter.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    so lawfully owning the firearm is enough? i was just wondering because i know people get all worked up about "what if it's not in your name" and stuff.

Same thing with what do you do if he wants to sell those hand guns? can he transfer them?
    People get all worked up over lots of things. Ignorance on parade.

Yes he can sell them. Face to face with long guns and through an FFL for a handgun.

And as azzy mentioned, he needs to read up on how to transport a handgun if he doesn't have a PA LTCF.

Less posting, more wheeling!

Cool

You can LEGALLY own Surefire mags and AK drums here!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    According to the law, you may only transport firearms to and from you home, a range, a gunsmith, or the store. No stops, unloaded, ammo and mags in a separate compartment. If you have a LTCF, that only applies to long guns.

Similar for federal law, but they allow reasonable stops for food and fuel. PA law does not include that. Yes, people have been arrested and put in jail for this (one of FOACs and the ACSL's pushes have been to rid us of those limits)

If you wish to learn more, you can visit your state rep's office and ask for one of the firearms laws books. Its a 60 page book that flies in the face of Article 1, Section 21 of the PA Constitution
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

Thread Information