Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Combat training. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combat training.

Web Wheeler!
    Still interested. I should have my schedule by later this week, so I should know for sure by then.
    _________
    Dave
    '99 Rover D2 w/stuff
    '96 Rover Disco1 5-spd and stuff

Trail Leader
    I'd love to, but my gf's graduation and my FD's gun bash are both 5-11-13. .
    Originally Posted by [B]skeebs[/B]
    [I]there should be specific criteria people must meet in order to purchase a jeep

[/I][QUOTE=mangotango;227621]^^^Gettin' laid in the shower and you're complaining about the water? Really?
    That's like having someone give you a million bucks and complaining about the color of the check.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dan58;233662]The ugly as hell police says illegal.[/QUOTE]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Just a reminder. Those of you that confirmed with me should have received an email about the class with the link to pay. I just signed up and signed my wife up for the women's class.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Web Wheeler!
    Hey guys, great class last Saturday. I think we all learned a lot and it was good to get a chance to meet some of you in person.

For any of you who might have considered taking this course, I highly recommend taking one in the future. Here's a link to John's AAR over on the PaFOA forum: http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...l-level-i.html
    _________
    Dave
    '99 Rover D2 w/stuff

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Sweet. I'm looking forward to the carbine class this weekend.

I thought a few Pgh Offroad guys were going to show up.

Had a great class. Unbelievable how much more I learned in 10 hours than in 10 years of shooting. Absolutely fantastic class. Kim took his women's class and is now out shooting me.

Ill be signing up for his ccw class as well.

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    I thought a few Pgh Offroad guys were going to show up.

Had a great class. Unbelievable how much more I learned in 10 hours than in 10 years of shooting. Absolutely fantastic class. Kim took his women's class and is now out shooting me.

Ill be signing up for his ccw class as well.
    x2 on the CCW class, and later one of the AR classes. (I think I've decided to make some changes to my AR...)
    _________
    Dave
    '99 Rover D2 w/stuff

I'm rebuilding my AR rifle this week. Definitely needs some upgrades for the class.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    $hit I totally forgot to go. I guess I'll call it a donation then
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post
    $hit I totally forgot to go. I guess I'll call it a donation then
    i

If you paid call john. He'll probably just let you attend another class.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I'm rebuilding my AR rifle this week. Definitely needs some upgrades for the class.
    What HAVE you done with it, and what are you PLANNING on doing with it? Having taken a couple of carbine courses, I discovered a LOT about what I needed before them, with some one-on-one mentoring from one of the instructors. I learned more about what I needed, AFTER taking the course.

Don't throw good money after bad, chasing some perceived "need" before you ever get there. Unless something is flat-out broken (like a cheap optic reticle, or your BOLT), fight the urge to spend blindly!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    What HAVE you done with it, and what are you PLANNING on doing with it? Having taken a couple of carbine courses, I discovered a LOT about what I needed before them, with some one-on-one mentoring from one of the instructors. I learned more about what I needed, AFTER taking the course.

Don't throw good money after bad, chasing some perceived "need" before you ever get there. Unless something is flat-out broken (like a cheap optic reticle, or your BOLT), fight the urge to spend blindly!
    I'm switching to a free floating quad rail so I have more mounting options for BUIS, sling, and flashlight.

I'm switching to a free floating quad rail so I have more mounting options for BUIS, sling, and flashlight.
    NOT that a good rail isn't important, but what handguards are you currently running?
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Just the standard carbine hand guards and a railed gas block.

Before:

After:

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Is that a magpul BUIS on the gas block? Not afraid of it melting?
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

The first picture is my old set up with an MBUS on the gas block. Never shot enough to melt it. Most people wont. you really have to smoke a lot of ammo in full auto or something. the only internet account i can actually find of it happening was done by Spikes and they also got the barrel so hot it wrecked the gas block apparently.

In the second picture I switched to a Spikes BAR free floating quad rail so no more chance of a problem.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 05-15-2013 at 08:43 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Im thinking of going with a CF tube floating gaurd for a railed optic and my own placement of a flashlight setup, so it would be primarily for 3gun, but still able to pull double duty.

(and if PA got its head out of the sand, maybe even hunt with it...)
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

should be mine after this weekend... need some mag pouches and some .223 and i'll be ready for the AR class

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Before:

After:

Nice! I'm digging that free floater. I swapped my stock guards out for a quad but not a floater like that. I'm rethinking that. It holds my UTG light/laser combo just fine but I like the floater better.

Do we have a general AR tricks and tips thread up in here? Hmm...Anyway, thanks for the pics Josh. I recently added a Hogue overmolded pistol grip to my AR and for the few bucks it cost made a big difference in my comfort with the gun. Next is a new trigger group if I can settle on one.

I need to get my crap together and get in on some of these classes. Personal situation right now makes overt expenditures not something I want to do (the D word) but soon that will be over with and hopefully can try some of these classes in the fall or something.

EDIT: Do you co-witness your flip ups with your red dot - assuming that BSA is a red dot?
    Last edited by JeepSteeler; 05-15-2013 at 02:04 PM.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Web Wheeler!
    Who's the Mfr on that one? I thought you had been building a LaRue? (or maybe that was Nick?)
    _________
    Dave
    '99 Rover D2 w/stuff

Quote Originally Posted by dcarr1971 View Post
    Who's the Mfr on that one? I thought you had been building a LaRue? (or maybe that was Nick?)
    it's a 1 off build. never fired. there's trading and selling and stuff going on in order to end up with it.

here's the build on it:

Daniel Defense Barrel- 16” M4 1:7 Chrome Line/COLD HAMMER FORGED
    Spikes Tactical Upper Receiver- M4 Flat Top
    R Guns Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group
    Yankee Hill Machine Quad Rail -Specter Diamond- With Endcap
    Yankee Hill Gas Block
    Yankee Hill Flash Hider Phantom 5C2 Aggressive
    BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Charging Handle
    Troy Industries FDE Fixed Iron Sights (Rear-Di-Optic Aperture)
    (Front-HK Style)
    DPMS Gas Tube
    Troy Industries Modular Combat Grip
    Magpul (FDE) Furniture for Quad Rail
    Primary Arms Green Laser (pretty sweet)

Lower Parts:
    Lanco Tactical Lower Receiver (local gun shop has lowers made at same machine company that spikes tactical has their lower machined at)
    CMMG Lower Parts Kit
    Magpul Trigger Guard
    Magpul CTR (FDE) Stock
    Magpul (FDE) MIAD Grip- With 2 extra back straps (different sizes)
    Buffer, Buffer Tube, Buffer Spring, Castle Nut-All pretty basic parts
    2 Black Magpul 30 Round magazines

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    Do you co-witness your flip ups with your red dot - assuming that BSA is a red dot?
    Yup, they're co-witnessed. The BSA is a red dot. A cheap one ($30), and when it fails, I will replace it with an Aimpoint Pro ($400). Today after work I hit the range and made sure everything was zero'd at 50 yards.

After action report for the 2 day AR15 class: http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...th-2013-a.html

I'm pleased I took this class. It was worth my time and money. I'm glad John let me switch to my AK on and off because it let me get more out of the class. My biggest take aways were faster reloads, proper magazine orientation in your pouches, proper lights for night shooting, shooting while laying on your side, standing back from cover, transitioning to and shooting left handed, etc. I like John's honesty and no bullshit attitude. He cut to the point on things and didn't mess around. Safety was also highly talked about and reinforced.

And yes, my AK jam was epic. I tried my best to redeem the AK name by making repeated 100 yard off hand hits with iron sights, and then the damn thing has a worse jam than any AR on the field did. DOH!

I really enjoyed the final exercise which was a fast paced review of everything we learned. It re-energized me and I could of probably ran it multiple times and enjoyed myself.

Do not stay out till 2AM after the night shoot at Club Escape in Beaver Falls haha. Not worth it! We were dragging on Sunday. Super 8 Hotel is good for the price.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 05-22-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Thread Information