Thread: is it worth it

PghOffRoad Regular

is it worth it

I need some input here... i have a a 2002 wj w/a 4.0L (special edition) with 153,000+ mi its outta inspection .i need brake all the way around(no big deal). Evap emissions leak(large and small) just dry rioted hoses from what i can tell and shocks are bad it feels like the sway bars disconnected going down the road.i' ve had her since new and took pretty decent care of her allway ran mobil 1 in the engine and so on.Heres where im at now...... i m just about ready to dump a chunck of cash into it to lift it and do it as close to right as possible some where in the 3000 to 4000 range and thats pretty much to get it off the ground (iro critical path 6.5, drive shafts steering equallizer, dual stabilizer, ect...) .ive come across afew post on here basicly bashing the wj and now second guessing what i have planned and with my 3rd kid on the way im only gonna get one shot at this.this is my daily driver but i drive a company vehicle to and from work so more like aweekly driver...thanks good and bad welcomed

Web Wheeler!
    I have a 99 wj with 4" iro lift i love it it has 267000 miles if ur goin to put that kind of money in it it willl be right

PghOffRoad Regular
    Thanks i just dont wanna waste that kinda cash i expect to find all of the worn u joint and such after lifting it.i just dont want it to become a huge money pit...just wanna jeep i can take the whole family out in and the old ladys hemi commander is "off limits".

PghOffRoad Regular
    The wj is really a capible dd as well as a good offroad vehicle. I have a 02 overland with 6.5 long arm kit running 35's and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I wheel it every weekend or so and if you build it right it will really last you a long time. If you are really wanting to drop the coin on gettin it how you want it I really feel going onto jeepforum.com the have a section just for the wj and there are threads upon threads as well as a search option to research anything your need or want to know. I've owned my dub for 5 years now and with 150k and many miles on the trails I don't think it would have been possible without the knowledge Ive gained from jeep forum. I hope this helps and good luck with the build. I am very knowledgable with wj's and do all my own work on them so if you need any help or advice feel free to pm me here. Good luck bro

Web Wheeler!
    Yea its a good jeep but the commander would be fun if u have any question about it just let me kno i will help in anyway i can

PghOffRoad Regular
    Thanks again guys i appreciate the info and it nice to know i just didnt waste money on a mig welder not that this was the only thing i could use it on. I have had some of the usual issues with it,cam and crank sensor seliniods on the tranny heater
    resistor and cam and lifters that pooped the bed at 80000 mis
    That were replaced under warranty but all and all it been a good vehicle. I was just unsure it may have seen its prime.

Web Wheeler!
    The WJ is nice offroad because it has coils all the way around, unlike the XJ with leaf's. The weak part of the WJ, if you wheel it hard, is the transfer case with the awd.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota5605 View Post
    The WJ is nice offroad because it has coils all the way around, unlike the XJ with leaf's. The weak part of the WJ, if you wheel it hard, is the transfer case with the awd.
    Bah! XJ is better!
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Thread Information