Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
5 critical items of survival
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 critical items of survival

Less posting, more wheeling!

5 critical items of survival

So my buddy and I are going on a 3 night/4 day survival trip in the woods at my step father's farm. We are bringing only 3 cans of food, one canteen of water, and my 1187 with 36 rounds. Our goal is to live off the land. I know there's ALOT of small game around that area so I'm pretty sure we can find food and there's a creek with water ready to be boiled. We are discussing what five items we must bring.

I'm thinking good knife, machete, multi-tool, 100ft of thin rope, and magnesium fire starter.

Not really planning on using the fire starter because we are gonna try the bow-style drill to get a fire going and also practice other methods we learned but it will be there if we absolutely need it.

What would you bring if you had to choose 5 items?

Gun and Ammo, Knife, Rope, Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, Matches, Makers Mark...
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    How are you going to boil water if a pot isn't on your list, or are you going to scavenge for a container? Are you sleeping under the stars or are a tent and sleeping bag not on the list either? How much of a "survival" trip is it? Like you walked off and got lost with nothing, or more of a primitive camping trip?

I keep a fire steel, flashlight, knife, 550 cord in my truck. I guess add gun to the list and there's the 5 I'd pick.

I've been trying to plan something like this with a buddy for a few years but our schedules have never been able to do it. Should be fun.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

500' paracord, 1 good knife, fire starting device, first aid kit, container to boil water.

Keep in mind that wildlife is protected by the state and can land you in some trouble shooting anything out of season.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Wink

I've ALWAYS wanted to try a SteriPEN water purifier myself... but if YOU try it first, I'd like to hear your report!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by jackb1 View Post
    How are you going to boil water if a pot isn't on your list, or are you going to scavenge for a container? Are you sleeping under the stars or are a tent and sleeping bag not on the list either? How much of a "survival" trip is it? Like you walked off and got lost with nothing, or more of a primitive camping trip?

I keep a fire steel, flashlight, knife, 550 cord in my truck. I guess add gun to the list and there's the 5 I'd pick.

I've been trying to plan something like this with a buddy for a few years but our schedules have never been able to do it. Should be fun.

We are bringing 3 cans of soup/food or whatever we decide on, and gonna use the empty cans to boil water. I have a hammock and mosquito net in my pack so those are coming along. That's how I plan to sleep (unless i build a nice shelter) but not sure about him since he keeps mentioning his tent. It's more of a primitive style learning trip, to get experience on how to build shelters, start fire, obtain water, etc. This is our first trip out there so we are gonna have a few modern things like the hammock/tent. Once we gain experience then we'll do a more serious survival trip.

Thanks for the info on the wildlife being protected. This also applies to private property, as in my step father owns the land? All animals like rabbits, squirrels, and little game? If no animals, then i can always take a walk till I hit one of his big farms and take some stuff he got growing. He wouldn't mind.
    Last edited by muddeprived; 04-03-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I've ALWAYS wanted to try a SteriPEN water purifier myself... but if YOU try it first, I'd like to hear your report!
    That is so cool. If only I had the $$. I do have a bottle of GSE (grapefruit seed extract) which is also used to purify water but I'm gonna stick to boiling it.

Game is protected on all property. State private or federal.

I like your thought process on it, and not trying to be a party pooper, just be careful of what you put out there in regards.
    F T W

Here you go on the game laws, and what is and isnt in season.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576240&mode=2
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

I would prioritize based on the rule of 3s. You survive 3 minutes without oxygen, 3 hours without protection from the cold (shelter + fire or whatever shelter is appropriate for conditions) 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. So I would bring: Big Gerber multitool, tarp, blanket or sleeping bag, matches/lighter, paracord.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I will never try starting a fire with the stick and bow method again unless it is dire circumstances. Me and 5 other guys took turns working at it for about a half hour with ideal conditions, proper woods, proper tinder, dry, etc. and it was not only dangerously exhausting but returned almost no results. Since then I've kept a fire starting tool in every vehicle, in every jacket pocket, and on every key ring.

I guess I'm kind of anti camp fire except when you're just out in the woods goofing off with friends. I would rather bring the right gear and avoid a fire all together unless you have to cook wild game.

If I have my milsurp sleep system I can and have slept outside in the snow on a -25 night and been uncomfortably warm so fire isn't needed for warmth.

On a sunny day with clear plastic bottles, the sun can purify water. Won't help for chemical contamination. There are plenty of backpacker systems out there like the steripin or filtering pumps. You can buy Berkey filters and make yourself something out of PVC.

Building a proper shelter takes hours. We used to do it JROTC in high school once a month. Start early or work in the dark. This will also probably require most of the wood you would of used for keeping a fire going all night.

Para chord is definitely awesome for making tools and furniture. We made a rough table and a set of chairs from sticks and para chord one time.

Get yourself a book on edible plants that is specific to this region and for the love of all things that don't make you sick buy one in color. It's so stupid to own a black and white edible plant guide when color can kill or save you.

Sounds like a cool trip. Is it happening soon or something you are planning once the weather gets nicer? I'd love to do something similar at some point.

Once you guys get "settled" after the first night or two, it might not be a bad idea to try to build your own shelter even if you have your tent and/or hammock. Although if it's raining, you probably won't have much of a choice than to build your shelter immediately if you just bring your hammock.

In terms of your 5 things, a good knife, machete, and multitool are redundant, IMO. A multi-tool will have a knife (and if it's a good one, it will be a "good" knife). Depending on the tools in the multi-tool, it may be no more helpful than a machete. Although the pliers could be useful for picking up a boiling hot can of water.

But this is primitive "survival". So whatever you bring, you make do, and learn. Plus for items as "small" and useful as those, I don't think anyone would complain if they had all three in a survival situation.

FWIW, I would bring a cell phone and just shut it off and keep it somewhere just in case the shit hits the fan. Unlikely, but for a "first" survival trip, I'd rather have a modern convenience "just in case" than not have it at all.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 04-03-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

It's gonna go down May 25-28, regardless of weather conditions.

I have 100 ft of standard rope that's designed for clothe lines. Will that suffice for this? I've had it laying around and been wanting to use it for something. I figured it would be fine for tying joints of the shelter structure and other things. I won't be dangling from a cliff with it though. I'm not sure where to buy paracord.

I used to be a boy scout when I was younger and they taught us how to make a bow drill and start a fire. They said the trick is starting the hole for the spindle and then cutting a V notch to, and a little bit into, the hole so the dust and embers can fall out into a pile. The instructor did this and had a fire started in about 7 minutes. It's very difficult to do it without the v-notch to the hole. I'm gonna be practicing out on the patio the next couple weeks till I get it down.

I don't own a cell phone but i'm sure my buddy will bring his. it's not really needed since we are only about a mile from the farm but never know.

Cool

Grab a Wilderness Survival Merit Badge pamphlet, and complete ALL the requirements!

My son's Scout Troop just did that 3 weekends ago, up at Raccoon State Park. It's a LOT more challenging in the PA cold, than it was in the NC summertime, when I earned it... 32 years ago!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI

I would get the paracord over the nylon. It is invaluable and the properties of it far outshine regular nylon rope.
    F T W

Ok I found 50ft of paracord at wally world for $9. Can't go wrong there.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    http://www.amazon.com/Paracord-Plane...words=paracord

And you can have it overnight. Seriously useful stuff.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Paracord-Plane...words=paracord

And you can have it overnight. Seriously useful stuff.
    oHhhhhh killer deal. Thanks! $9 for 100'. I added that to the hammock and mosquito net and get all three for $36 and free shipping. NICE!

a bug out bag with everything i needed

How do you guys plan on surviving anything without Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning ? I would rather be dead than eat bland food.
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Even an mre comes with a small bottle of tabasco

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    How do you guys plan on surviving anything without Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning ? I would rather be dead than eat bland food.
    Grow habaņeros at your retreat site. Or Guatamalean Insanity peppers - whatever suits your fancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    LOL. Back when the two of us were bodybuilding in college, we ate everything straight up and bland. No artificial ingredients or additives/flavoring were added to our foods and we got used to it. I still eat that way except when I'm drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Grow habaņeros at your retreat site. Or Guatamalean Insanity peppers - whatever suits your fancy!

I was actually thinking of taking a few hot peppers to cook over the fire. Never had a fire-roasted pepper before.

That was the best Simpsons episode.

Thread Information