Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite Gun?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Gun?

Web Wheeler!

Favorite Gun?

I've been wanting to buy a gun.. Or two.. Or three.. But I'm having a hard time choosing. What would you recommend and why? I'd like to get a handgun, a shotgun, and a semi-automatic.. I've been considering a bushmaster ar-15 for the semi though.

Trail Leader
    Its all really right now what all you can afford. Keep in mind that most of the quality guns/weapons are gonna be a little outrageous due to our countries current state of dillusion. You might wanna get with a few of us that have various weapons, types and brands and "Test Drive" before you buy as to see what will suit your needs/wants. Also whether for just plain personal protection to OC/CCA or in the home. Alot of things I know to keep in mind but you are for sure in the right place to ask. Just don't get too upset when anyone says its B.Y.O.A. as we are all kinda not wasting at the moment. You'll also find that some ppl will be opinionated and its no different than asking Best Car, Truck, Bike, etc.. Is why I mentioned in the beginning, What you can afford as even a "cheap" gun is better than "NO" gun. Just my .02 cents.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]If it has Wheels and involves dirt...I can Break it!!

Red Jeep Club Member #640
    Z.O.R.U. #300[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Stay away from bushmaster and Remington (same company), they have taken gov't money to stay in New York despite the new gun control crap that was passed.

For an AR, there are vast amounts of money you can spend but I wouldn't go nuts. Check out CDS arms, he is local and can get or build you a great AR. If you want to stay with an off the shelf, stag arms are nice.

If you want a nice basic shotgun, look at mossberg, If you want high end, Brownings or benelli are tough to beat.

I like beretta, smith and Wesson, kimber, and h&k for handguns
    Last edited by justin'sbig7; 04-17-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Web Wheeler!
    I can't afford much.. And you are right about the cheap gun is better than no gun. And I've noticed that the ammo is flying off the shelfs. I stock at Walmart and we sell the .223 shells as soon as they come out. A long with the ar-15s. I like damaging guns. If it was up to me.. I'd own all of the illegal ones. Hahaha.

Trail Leader
    LOL, you sound like a bunch of us as we sometimes are confused on what is LAW anymore due to the constant changes since we are ALL Legal. It seems the criminals have it the easiest. But,,,,,then again, they can't really shoot anyway. I have an LEO that was just shot at 14 times by a Glockin' homie and missed not only him but also his car,,LOL on the Southside. It never ceases to amaze me. I also echo everything Justin just said as I better since I own all that and then some. It will come down to what feels good for you as why I mentioned before about the testdrive thing but be prepared to bring some ammo for the reason you said about the shelf problem.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]If it has Wheels and involves dirt...I can Break it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lecy View Post
    I can't afford much.. And you are right about the cheap gun is better than no gun. And I've noticed that the ammo is flying off the shelfs. I stock at Walmart and we sell the .223 shells as soon as they come out. A long with the ar-15s. I like damaging guns. If it was up to me.. I'd own all of the illegal ones. Hahaha.
    Which Walmart and how much ammo can you get

With ARs I wouldn't spend a ton, the place to spend money is on a barrel and bolt carrier group. Other than that almost all off the shelf ars are similar, you pay for a brand.
    F T W

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    which walmart and how much ammo can you get :d
    x2

Web Wheeler!
    The new walmart in West Brownsville.. And can't get much. What we get on the truck and what we are suppose to get are 2 different things. I've shot a glock 40 and liked it.. And a shotgun that blew a television to shreds.. Liked that too.

Web Wheeler!
    We made a potato gun.. And I shot a potato through a door. we make our own.... Booms? Hahaha.. Pretty resourceful.

Trail Leader
    Cool on which Wally world. Some would say that not only Glock but also .40 cal are overrated but seeing as you have shot that, Use that as your baseline to judge by. Glocks aren't that cheap in comparison and .40 cal ammo isn't either. As far as cheaper ammo, try and maybe stay with 9mm for starters and also still have a ton of choices out there. I have been an instructor and still do that on a more personal level now for many years. Have made more husbands madder than anything due to teaching wives on how to shoot and hit their target,,,LOL.

Web Wheeler!
    I'm surprised that's not on a protest sign against guns. Guns... They'll destroy your marriage. LOL

I would seriously consider a Ruger, for the money I dont think you buy a better gun. Girl at work bought one of those taurus .380s on sale at gander mountain for 200 bucks, for a little pocket gun thats not bad. I may buy one next time they go on sale.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

I have a Remington 1187 semi-auto shotty and it's friggin awesome.

Trail Leader
    I have to agree with ya Steve. I have 3 Ruger platforms, P85,89,90 and love all 3 but my main carry is my S&W 5904 9mm. It just feels right,,lol.
    Mudd, Your just plain awesome, not the "shotty"!!!!

Web Wheeler!
    Haha. I am definately mud deprived. If I get my tires on today.. Think I'll have to go get my fix. Especially after that rain last night.

I'm personally a fan on CZs. Right now I carry a P06 daily, and I'm looking to get a Rami (subcompact) for summer carry and also for my gf.

Web Wheeler!
    I want something small that I can keep in my jeep for protection purpose. A shotgun is to big for that. That's more of a.. Hey.. Did you really just break into my house kinda gun. And the semi... Well.. That's just for giggles.

I picked up an SR9c its a nice little gun. If you are looking really little, I would check out the ruger LCR, LCP or those taurus carry guns. I was really impressed with how it shot. The trigger was not awful and for 200 bucks u can't go wrong.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Lecy View Post
    I want something small that I can keep in my jeep for protection purpose. A shotgun is to big for that. That's more of a.. Hey.. Did you really just break into my house kinda gun. And the semi... Well.. That's just for giggles.
    I find that the 1187 fits on the top rollbar quite comfortably. If only I had some "quick-disconnects" for it, then I'd mount it.

It's still good for a "Hey you messin with me, punk??". You know every crime-member of the society is familiar with a pistol but come face to face with a shotty sticking outside of a soft-top window is kinda unique.
    Last edited by muddeprived; 04-17-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Here comes my opinion.

First, go to the county courthouse and get your license to carry a firearm. It takes about a half hour and $25 or so.

With that, you can buy a handgun and not worry about accidentally breaking the law while transporting home from the gun store or to the range, as you will now be able to carry it on your person openly or concealed and in your vehicle loaded and ready to go.

Next I would say figure out what you can spend. A cheap gun is better than no gun, but a cheap gun that doesn't work is no gun. I have owned some very cheap off brand 12 gauge pumps that did not function. Stay away from cheap and unfamiliar. As mentioned above, a basic mossberg pump shotgun is a good consideration.

I would say your first purchase should be a handgun, and I think the smith and Wesson sigma series is a great buy for a first gun and as far as bang for the buck it is a deal. A few months ago a handgun with 2 17 round magazines were about $350 out the door. I won one at a gun bash or else I would never have bought one, but it became one of my favorite handguns to shoot. It has a heavy trigger pull but I found I was very accurate with. Simple ergonomics that work and it has never jammed. shoots steel cased ammo fine. I also suggest 9mm over 40 because of availability and price, although these days availability for everything sucks.

The handgun is concealable, can go almost any where with you, and will be enjoyable for target practice. A handgun is only meant to fight your way to a long gun, but we don't carry around long guns currently.

Now is a really sucky time to buy or build an AR although I saw some complete rifles at reasonable prices at Ace's last weekend.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I'm still madly in love with my fnx45

I call it big sexy
    Last edited by 2002wranglerX; 04-17-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Oh yeah, I like fn's as well... Thanks for reminding me ry
    F T W

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    Oh yeah, I like fn's as well... Thanks for reminding me ry
    You need to shoot this .45.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Cool

You want to buy my complete BCM AR-15.

DMG wants you to buy it, too.
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Web Wheeler!
    Ace's has layaway.

Thread Information