Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
process for a suppressor... can't find the thread on it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: process for a suppressor... can't find the thread on it

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

process for a suppressor... can't find the thread on it

I was contemplating going through the process to get one of the oil can suppressors. I know there's a thread on here but I can't find it anywhere.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling!
    If you're going to get the tax stamp and all that jazz, buy a for real suppressor that you can see your sights over.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    http://www.cdsarms.com/nfa-transfer-process/#more-868

That lays out the process. Current wait is 6 to 7 months. I should be getting my first suppressor stamp in June or July. I bought a good $200 Huntertown Arms 22 can from Cory at CDS Arms. I plan to buy a 556 and a 7.62x39 can. I want to be a stamp collector!

The oil can really does block off the sights, but if you just want a novelty toy, it's dirt cheap and it isn't specific to one caliber. They make adapters for different barrel threads and when you change calibers your first shot pokes a new hole in a fresh filter top. If you're paying the $200 tax and waiting half a year I know damn well I would be expecting something high speed low drag mall ninja top tier operator worthy and not some oil can joke.

I think there's an article on POOFA about the oil can dealy.
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Holy shit the NFA backlog is headed towards being 9 or 12 months the way things are trending.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 06-10-2014 at 02:12 PM.

My college wingman in VA is going through the process - JUST sent the paperwork off last week. Hopes to have it by Valentine's Day next year!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI

I got my ATF Form 1 approval today for my AR15 with 11.5" barrel. I'll have the approval for my AAC M4-2000 5.56 suppressor in 8 days if it takes the same wait time. New nitrided 11.5" barrel comes today so perfect timing.

I ended up forming a Trust and efiling at the end of January so my total wait time was 5 months and 12 days.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 06-10-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I got my ATF Form 1 approval today for my AR15 with 11.5" barrel. I'll have the approval for my AAC M4-2000 5.56 suppressor in 8 days if it takes the same wait time. New nitrided 11.5" barrel comes today so perfect timing.
    My SBR's were approved in almost the same time period (6.5 months) as my suppressor. If you got your suppressor from Bear Paw be sure to give them a call soon. They held mine for about a month+ after my form was approved. I eventually called because I knew how long the process took and found out they had "lost" my number and had been "trying" to get ahold of me. The more people I talk to I find out this is a common occurance when dealing with them.

Enjoy the subsonic world. I put a Fulton Armory upper on mine with a side cocking bolt and no gas tube to help quiet it down. (Can also legally hunt in PA with it too!) Eventually I'll build another semi upper with adjustable gas block.

They are STILL giving stamps out, thankfully. My college wingman finally got HIS last month down in VA, and is having a SILENT blast with his new suppressor!

I've never dealt with Bear Paw because my buddy sells suppressors so I buy from him and I didn't like the impression I got from bear Paw at the gun shows anyways.

Check out CDS Arms if you're in the market for something else. He is an AAC and Huntertown Arms distributor. Sells just about everything though.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 06-09-2014 at 11:42 PM.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I am at about 10 months waiting for my suppressor paper work. Purchased through Bear Paw using a Trust. Maybe I should give ATF a call soon.
    How do you like the Huntington can? Haven't heard great things about them. Seen Big Buck sells them so I figure I would do some research on them.
    My liver has a restraining order against me for abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMayham View Post
    I am at about 10 months waiting for my suppressor paper work. Purchased through Bear Paw using a Trust. Maybe I should give ATF a call soon.
    How do you like the Huntington can? Haven't heard great things about them. Seen Big Buck sells them so I figure I would do some research on them.
    10 months is way to long. Check out http://www.nfatracker.com/. Nicole Dudash was the examiner for Pa when I received mine last year. It looks like approval times are in the 5 month period.

From what I hear Bear Paw parades your can around to the gun shows and will keep using it for display purposes as long as they can. When I wear their free t-shirt out in public I've had random people approach and tell me a similar story on how they waited longer than normal.

My stamp collecting days seem to be over but If I ever decide to add another I'll definitely give CDS a call.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Is the stamp a one time deal or does it have to be renewed

Quote Originally Posted by wj lizard View Post
    Is the stamp a one time deal or does it have to be renewed
    It is a one time transfer tax of $200 that you pay to the Department of Justice when you buy a suppressor, machine gun, ($5 transfer for AOW), or manufacture a short barrel rifle or short barrel shotgun, etc. If I wanted to sell a suppressor then the buyer would have to pay the $200 tax. If an individual passes away their NFA items are transferred free of charge to next of kin if eligible or turned over to the ATF (one reason to get a trust: to ensure proper transfer of your toys after you're gone.)
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 06-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMayham View Post
    I have the Huntertown Arms Guardian 22 can. Can't beat it for the less than $200 price tag. Very quiet. My friend has a much more expensive Surefire 22 suppressor and it is quieter but not a few hundred dollars worth of quieter. I think the quality is adequate and taking it apart to clean it isn't fun but I would have to pay a bit more for a one piece baffle core to make it easier, so overall, I'm really happy with it and it makes a 22 pistol with regular ammo or a 22 rifle with subsonic ammo sound like an air rifle. My Ruger 10/22 still cycles the action with the subsonic ammo and the suppressor.

I have shot their 7.62 AK suppressor on my RPK and it is pretty heavy, but if you want light weight then spend twice the money. Still a decent and effective suppressor.

If you submitted an individual Form 4 through the snail mail then you may be waiting a month or more longer.

I filed electronically with my trust so I had a 5 month and 12 day wait time. That option no longer exists though because the ATF has stopped electronic filing so they can catch up on the work load. If they bring efiling back they won't let it skip the data entry lead time like the paper forms are subject to and adds months to the process.

Also Dudash might not be the examiner. Snook was on my SBR paperwork. They got rid of the regional work loads and now everyone goes through them in order, evening the work load.

My next suppressor will be an AAC TiRant 45 suppressor that I will use for 9mm and 45 acp guns. Plenty of people say shooting a 9mm through a 45 suppressor is marginally louder than using a 9mm suppressor so might as well kill two birds with one stone. I also plan to SBR my AK pistol.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 06-10-2014 at 02:10 PM.

I got a text at 630AM I can pick up my AR suppressor today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I got a text at 630AM I can pick up my AR suppressor today!!!

Bow-chicka-bow-bow.

Bring it with you and show it off Saturday.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I just purchased a Huntington can through Federal Firearms 2 days ago. I gave BATFE a call and my original suppressor application had a few mistakes. Got them fixed and now just waiting on the call. Number 2 should go easier from what I've heard. All the other Class III stuff I had was shop owned but that is no more. Good times while it lasted. Been contemplating an FA or select fire again. Problem is feeding the thing.

Ya all the machine guns I play with are FFL post-May samples. It will be a sad day when they all go away but that's the rules.

Last week ATF added the Form 1 back to eForms so trusts and LLCs can submit online again and get a little shorter wait times. Form 4 will follow.

Debating on sending in a Form 1 to SBR my Draco AK pistol so I can put a Krinkov style side folding triangle stock on it and a Krinkov muzzle brake for a look like this:

Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 07-02-2014 at 09:02 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    F' it and go with a sig brace... much less waiting
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

PghOffRoad Regular
    I played with a few Krinkov's and they were wild. Damned fun to shoot but not inherently accurate. Its a spray and pray at best. I was thinking of getting a Sten again and a Sterling or an M3 Grease Gun or an Uzi (or Viking variant) . Something easy to fix and feed. I got 5 other barrels for my old Sten and would swap them out on the line when they got hot. Used to just drop them on the ground and pop a new one in. The good old days when ammo was dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    F' it and go with a sig brace... much less waiting
    Barf haha I think the sig brace on an AK just looks wrong!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I love that its a big F' off to the NFA and the arbitrary rules. If they change their minds, Sig will sue the hell out of them.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

I hear you there. I'm a big supporter of the product and what it does, I just don't plan on owning one. Hopefully Sig doesn't get Waco'd lol!

Thread Information