Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
92' XJ build

Thread: 92' XJ build

Less posting, more wheeling! mudforblood's Avatar

92' XJ build

I'm on a roll so I'll start this one too. I bought it for $500 with 94,000mi. on it. I had to put a new chain in the TC since they ran it completly dry, no fluid what so ever in the TC I put new calipers and rotors in the frt. and used 31" buckshot mudders on it for now. It's a combined(financially and time) effort with my dad for now to build it. If one of us wants it we will buy the other out. It will be for my dad and my wife or whoever to drive only on trails. Its not titled to be registered so no worry about being street legal, trailer or tow bar only.

I have a 77' F150 and a set of 36" tsl's that will make it under it someday. It will have full width D44/ Ford 9" from the 150. I just cant decide if I want a XJ lift and drivetrain on it or just use the whole drivetrain from the 150 on it. It would be a C4 trans., 205 TC, and probably a 302 with the D44/9" with 36's if I went that route. Otherwise it would be the stock 4.0L, AW4, 231, D44/9". I'm also thinking about using the whole frame and drive train from the 150 and chopping it down to fit under the XJ to make it stronger.

Any ideas?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    Just use the axles, dont mess with the complete drivetrain. And PLEASE dont use the ford frame under the XJ! If you want a full frame, buy a TJ!

Run about 3-4in of lift and start cutting the crap out of it to fit the 36s!!

X2 I would just toss the axles under it and maybe a 6" and cut it up.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

I like the idea of only 3-4 inches of lift and hackin it up. I wasnt sure how high it would have to go to clear the 36's. 6" or 8" is too high for my taste. Since I wont be driving it that much I want it as stable as possible.

This needs to be an el cheapo build so no long arm kits unless somebody has free ones to give me. Was thinking about extending the radius arms on the D44 and hopefully it has welded C's that could be moved. More than likely the 150 coils are way to stiff to use but might try anyways. Not sure what to do with the rear though.

Sounds like a plan...you might need to paint it red though
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have a 84 XJ running F150 44/9in with 2in of lift and it fit 35s with trimming. The 4.0 puts out more power than a STOCK 302. Mine is a 2.5 with a carb, it sucks in the power department, but with the T-Case doubler and 110:1 crawl it does fine by me.

If you wanna do it cheap, if your F150 has the 2.5" wide rear springs then add 2 of them to the rear XJ pack. Then for the front, unbolt the radius arm mounts from the F150 and weld them to the XJ and make the track bar and drag link and use F150 springs. I did it on my XJ. It didn't flex the best, not bad but not great and with welded spiders it went extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_and_jeep
    I have a 84 XJ running F150 44/9in with 2in of lift and it fit 35s with trimming. The 4.0 puts out more power than a STOCK 302. Mine is a 2.5 with a carb, it sucks in the power department, but with the T-Case doubler and 110:1 crawl it does fine by me.

If you wanna do it cheap, if your F150 has the 2.5" wide rear springs then add 2 of them to the rear XJ pack. Then for the front, unbolt the radius arm mounts from the F150 and weld them to the XJ and make the track bar and drag link and use F150 springs. I did it on my XJ. It didn't flex the best, not bad but not great and with welded spiders it went extremely well.
    Thanks! Thats what I was looking for. It is a 4.0L fuel injected that runs good for now. Now that I think about it a 302 is kind of a toad and would have to be carbed(which sucks on the trail). I will stick with the 4.0L.

Do you think the flex was limited by the stock 150 radius arm bushings or the springs too stiff? I think I might extend the radius arm and use a good heim joint of some sort on the end.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread over at naxja awhile ago about using a ford radius arm.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Thread Information