Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Getting into biking, just picked up a 29er

Thread: Getting into biking, just picked up a 29er

Less posting, more wheeling!

Getting into biking, just picked up a 29er

Just bought this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/844742/ca...er-4-bike-2013
    Canondale SL4 29er

Its just a beginner but I'm hoping it'll hold me over for a while. I guess 2013 saw a new frame design which makes it lighter, etc.

Anyway, I was just looking for some advice as far as components. I know the Forks on this arn't the best. What can I expect as far as failure? Longivity? I took it out for about 5 miles on some light trails and I know I need new pedals. Recommendations? I'm new to all of this!

Helmet? lol
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Crank Brothers, go clipless. Helmet, eh, its what doesn't make you look dorkey...
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Quote Originally Posted by jeepxj3 View Post
    Crank Brothers, go clipless. Helmet, eh, its what doesn't make you look dorkey...
    I've rebuilt this entire bike, lol.

I own 3 sets of crank bros pedals. I bought a pair right after they came out 12 years or so ago. Still use them, still tight. My two more recent pairs didn't last a hundred miles before the bearings blew out
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

I like the bike but most everything on it is disposable I've found. I had the shimano 540 (?) pedals on it for a while and got pretty good at them but when I started getting into more technical stuff I decided to go with a platform again. Much less anxiety and I can't say I miss the clipless. I'll still throw them on for street stuff, etc. Pedals are Forte Convert Platforms. They're light, thin, and have really good grip.

Rest of the bike:

I've since changed out the rear wheel and hub but I need recomendations on a good wheel set. I'm very hard on things FWIW. I'm also looking at a different rear derailer.

ALL recommendations are welcome.
    Last edited by Deadman 94 xj; 06-01-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Aside from when I go to the wheel mill or Ray's, I always ride clipless. I struggle on platforms. I've also been running them for ever so its instinct to twist out. Crank Bros and Time style pedals are easier to unclip than an SPD style pedal. By all means rock what you're comfortable with and just ride.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sycotik Skier View Post
    Aside from when I go to the wheel mill or Ray's, I always ride clipless. I struggle on platforms. I've also been running them for ever so its instinct to twist out. Crank Bros and Time style pedals are easier to unclip than an SPD style pedal. By all means rock what you're comfortable with and just ride.
    Thanks! I agree. I'm looking at a set of wheels and tires for it and it should be good to go for a while.

Thread Information