Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2006 Caddy STS

Thread: 2006 Caddy STS

Less posting, more wheeling!

2006 Caddy STS

My parents are looking at a 2006 STS, 3.6 with the AWD. They currently have a 2000 STS with about 140,000 miles and love it. I don't know anything about the newer ones, I read online and reviews seem to be pretty decent. I wasn't sure if anyone on here would have any opinions on the reliability of this car. I have heard the 3.6 Liters like to stretch timing chains. What about the AWD is that a fairly maintenance free system. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    This is the car in question:
    http://www.bushautosales.net/2006_Ca..._193529021.veh
    Last edited by Super Scout; 06-25-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    The biggest issues you'll see on the driveline are the couplers/guibo joint/rag joint. Whatever you'd like to call them. I'm pretty sure I have them for an 06. I'd have to check at work. They also can develop a clunk when you put it in gear. That's a bushing on the rear diff. Cheap part, but it's a PITA repair. HTH
    Something catchy goes here.

Thanks for the heads up. Parents don't do the internet so I was just doing some research for them. Every review I have read has been good, so apparently they where pretty decent cars.
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

See if it had the pinion yoke recalls. If it hasnt had a timing chain it may need them. There are 3 and it is a big job.

Keep an eye on the oil level, they burn oil. They also go through wheel bearings. A pretty solid car in general.

Wink

Seems tough enough...

'07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Dave, whats the story with the 3.6s timing chain. Do they all go bad that early, are there any signs to look for. Seems like everyone is having issues with the damn thing, and GM blamed it on oil change intervals, is it just no a good engine ?
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    Dave, whats the story with the 3.6s timing chain. Do they all go bad that early, are there any signs to look for. Seems like everyone is having issues with the damn thing, and GM blamed it on oil change intervals, is it just no a good engine ?
    IIRC, they burn oil and can be just about empty by the time the oil life monitor says to change the oil. The chains do seem to stretch more if the oil changes are infrequent but we were still doing them on cars with 10,000 miles on them that had already received 1 oil change. I think they just underbuilt the chains and tensioners and did not give the cam sensor/pcm programming enough leeway to correct for the stretch in 3 separate chains. I never saw the chains break or jump time. It was usually a code for cam sensors that indicated the repairs were needed.
    Caddy customers are typically lazy about their cars or fanatical about them. They are usually old people who think since it is a Cadillac it should change its own oil and air up its own tires and be as reliable as a Lexus. Or a retired engineer from J&L with a maintenance spread sheet that wants an oil sample from every change.

Hopefully the chains were done. A caddy dealer should be able to tell you. The pinion yoke recall should definitely be done by now if the car was the right year/vin range.

Thread Information