Thread: when did long arms become bad?

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

when did long arms become bad?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lo...-lift-1557179/

just having trouble wrapping my head around this... I mean... I've had short arm rigs and I've had long armed rigs... but where did these people come from that are hell bent on telling the world that long arms are so bad... I just don't get it.

I understand the clearance argument... but it's never been an issue my right foot couldn't fix...

are some of us just past the wheeling level of these guys? don't get me wrong, I have no problem with short arms. I've run them plenty of times. It's just given the choice I definitely prefer a long arm...

was there some shift in the suspension world that happened while I was out of the bolt on scene?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Its jeepforum. There are a lot of tards on there.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Its jeepforum. There are a lot of tards on there.
    you should read the dana 30 vs 44 threads... these guys are actually arguing that the 30 is a better axle... I just... I can't... seriously... what the fck

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I have been denied by a certain line on an obstacle once because my rear long arms kept getting hung up (yes, skinny pedal and momentum were used to try to overcome it). If I had short arms, I probably would have either made it or blown up a driveshaft. Yeah I'll take not making it up a single obstacle among the hundreds of others I made if it means keeping power to the two rear tires.

The problem with most off-the-shelf long arm kits (Clayton's included -- at least for a ZJ) isn't the ground clearance, it's the frame-side control arm mounts. Tuck those buggers up higher so you have a smooth transition to a flat belly skid plate and you are gold (not suggesting that's a trivial fix to do though). I'd personally sacrifice an inch or two of ground clearance in some areas if it means flat metal and smooth transitions.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 08-06-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Just let it go Ryan...
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Haha, wow.

I really don't hit up 4x4 sites except for here and Mallcrawlin any longer - it made my head hurt. I realize I'm not learning as much as I used to, but I also don't want to kill myself with a spoon afterwords. I figure that hitting up JF as a knowledgeable Jeep person, is akin to hitting up the NY Times comment section with a right wing point of view.

No thanks.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I think it depends on where you go on there. Not only have I gotten the majority of my buisness from JF, but a ton of help as well. Although I find Cherokeeforum to be pretty helpful as well, when Im not bringing odd questions to you guys.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

PghOffRoad Regular
    Body lifts, t case drops, short arms, and open 30/35s are where its at!!
    96 ZJ 5.9, Clayton LA, 35s, locked HP30 & 8.8

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    I can't stand JeepForum anymore. MrBlaine is a cocky douche and most of his minions just argue things that he's written and they've read.

JeepForum is about Currie, HP30's and short arms... if you argue any of those, I guess you must not know how to wheel.
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

There's a lot of people talking down on others...

It blew me away. I'm not exactly new to this. Ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by MemorEsto View Post
    I can't stand JeepForum anymore. MrBlaine is a cocky douche and most of his minions just argue things that he's written and they've read.

JeepForum is about Currie, HP30's and short arms... if you argue any of those, I guess you must not know how to wheel.
    If that the MrBlaine that used to run another jeep forum - and builds ambulances for a living? If it is I remember that he was cocky, but he REALLY knew his shit back in the day -- I think it was jeepbbs.net - it's where some of the original JU crew fled when JU went to shit.

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    If that the MrBlaine that used to run another jeep forum - and builds ambulances for a living? If it is I remember that he was cocky, but he REALLY knew his shit back in the day -- I think it was jeepbbs.net - it's where some of the original JU crew fled when JU went to shit.
    Ya what happened to ju? Back in the day that's where I went for info.

Truth.. Heck - I still remember the original OFF-ROAD.COM bbs system - before PBB/Vbulletin jeep sites. It was more fun back then - none of us had any idea what the hell we were doing, but figured it out as a fairly small group - now all of the boards are saturated with everyone knowing everything, their way being the right way, and a jeeper around every corner. It used to be more fun with less newbs

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    MrBlaine does know his stuff.... It's people that read his posts and think they are Jeep engineers after owning a jeep for 2 years that made me stop going over there. Blaine can be a douche though.
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Truth.. Heck - I still remember the original OFF-ROAD.COM bbs system - before PBB/Vbulletin jeep sites. It was more fun back then - none of us had any idea what the hell we were doing, but figured it out as a fairly small group - now all of the boards are saturated with everyone knowing everything, their way being the right way, and a jeeper around every corner. It used to be more fun with less newbs
    And everyone drove a unibody!!

Thread Information