Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Nemacolin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nemacolin

Less posting, more wheeling!

Nemacolin

Have any of you guys ever wheeled at Nemacolin? I saw it's pretty expensive and it doesn't even look like there are that many trails there. But just curious if the trails are actually fun...

Official Meet and Greet Coordinator Alley's Avatar
    I think one or two of the guys who are on the forum actually work there, they'd be able to tell you how it is for sure!!
    "Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Aren't the H1 trails paved? Literally?

I saw a show on PBS recently where a couple women visited and showed off fayette county's finest attractions, like Fallingwater, the Klay winery and Nemacolin.

They showed these women in the hummers at Nemacolin first on the introductory track, which did appear to be partially paved. It was manmade anyway and not the slightest bit natural looking. Then they went out onto the 'real' trails, which appeared to be dirt tracks alongside fields with a little whoopdedoos and a little mud to splash in.

It was the reason I watched the show, to see what there actually was to the so-called 'offroading at Nemacolin.' I wasn't impressed. And if you check out their website I believe it is 250$ and hour/trip??? and 125$ if you bring your own hummer.

I'd like to hear from the guys that work there. Curious if that was an accurate representation or not.

It's a hummer only place?
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

The owner is a Hummer freak from what I've heard. No issue with them, just seems like a lame excuse for off-roading, but hey, I guess it sells to the rich people who want to think they're living dangerously...

I'm staying there with the fam tomorrow night; I think we'll skip the course and hit the bar.

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    I have not run the course, but I have watched the hummers on it and it is all man made. Except for a few deep mud holes and a water crossing you can run the entire course with just about any stock 4x4.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

I knew nothing about the trails there and contacted them a few months ago to possibly set up a trail ride for WNYOffroad. They said we they would do it for (an estimated) $300/hr per trail leader (which we would be required to get). So if we would split into two groups, we'd be looking at $600/hr! Coming 5+ hours from Buffalo, we would definitely want to turn this into a weekend affair, so (you can do the math) even if we split that price 20 ways and do only one group, it's still assdonculous. For that price, I'd rather add mods to my Jeep.

I was just curious what the opinion of the place was by some of the locals...

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure a guy from my church has had his H2 down there. I've heard stories of how "hard" it is.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego
    assdonculous

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! psychobilly's Avatar
    George has been there in his hummer. From the way he explained it the course sounds like its set up for people who dont wheel, no driver skill required. You guys from new york would of been real bummed when you come all the way down and found that you also had to rent a hummer to run the trails.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! TimMichaels's Avatar
    I'm up that way a lot because my cabin is nearby, and the trails are definitely not impressive. There's local township roads that present a better challenge. It really is just about a joke.

BTW Matt, I've heard the bars at Nemacolin are fairly lame, except maybe the one at the ski lodge. I dunno how it does in the winter, but there's a nearby bar called the Falls City Pub that's pretty happening through the summer.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Quote Originally Posted by TimMichaels
    I'm up that way a lot because my cabin is nearby, and the trails are definitely not impressive. There's local township roads that present a better challenge. It really is just about a joke.

BTW Matt, I've heard the bars at Nemacolin are fairly lame, except maybe the one at the ski lodge. I dunno how it does in the winter, but there's a nearby bar called the Falls City Pub that's pretty happening through the summer.
    Whatever it is, it's open bar, so it's good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Krod
    I'm pretty sure a guy from my church has had his H2 down there. I've heard stories of how "hard" it is.

x2. Thats what you get when your a plumber with too much money to spend

I wanna see some pics of this place. I wonder if george took any when he went down there.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! stesul411's Avatar
    I have friends who work on the grounds crew there, I asked them about the Hummer trails, they both laughed and said they run them on 18hp John Deere lawn tractors.
    I don't suffer from insanity........................I enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!!!!

[URL="http://www.bigrubbers4x4.org"]www.bbnt4x4.org[/URL]

Here are some pics I got from the Nemacolin rep. Definitely nothing impressive. Some pics remind me of the turnpike ride at Kennywood...

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    reminds me of the stock land rover test tracks at the dealerships

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego
    Now that looks cool, I would drive straight up the side of that "overpass"!!! Forget staying on the road, I would go up the side!!

I was part of a "pilot" group that ran the trails when they were originally being set-up to have hummer events. It's nothing more than a business ploy to try and exploit the hummer vehicle to individuals who really aren't "true" off-roaders. The idea has been pretty successful for Nemacolin though..........Hummer Dealers are required to sponsor "Hummer Happenings" each year whereby they get several of their customers together and take them off-roading. Alot of East Coast Dealers have their event at Nemacolin and bring in pretty large groups. Nemacolin makes a fortune and the folks leave there thinking that they have really done some serious off-roading.
    The man-made portion was set-up to demonstrate certain capabilities of Hummers (40% side-slope, 60% vertical grade, etc). Beyond that, they have several trails cut into the woods, however nothing that would make anyone excited over unless you've never been off-road before.
    -------------------------------
    [U][COLOR=#ffcc00][URL="http://www.worldofoffroading.com/videos/movie1_06.wmv"]http://www.worldofoffroading.com/videos/movie1_06.wmv[/URL][/COLOR][/U][URL="http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/custom.htm"][/URL]
    Don't Follow Me...You Won't Make It

[URL="http://www.worldofoffroading.com"]www.worldofoffroading.com[/URL]

I wish the Jeep Dealership kept me informed about "Jeep Happenings" Although when I got my Jeep, the sales guy did a pretty good job making sure I understood whole "wave" thing...I guess it must not only be a CJ,YJ,TJ thing, haha

PghOffRoad Regular
    Theres always the trails up at Beaver Run, where they have the jeep nationals, I'm sure we could go up there for some what cheap

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeks
    Theres always the trails up at Beaver Run, where they have the jeep nationals, I'm sure we could go up there for some what cheap
    Those trails are cut and maintaned by HRJA, they aren't open to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphXJ
    Those trails are cut and maintaned by HRJA, they aren't open to the public.
    Cochran uses the trails there for Hummer Happenings.......I was there back in October and the folks who run it are really good guys.....they said that they have open runs for various groups so having a run there would be possible, but obviously there would be some type of charge.
    -------------------------------
    [U][COLOR=#ffcc00][URL="http://www.worldofoffroading.com/videos/movie1_06.wmv"]http://www.worldofoffroading.com/videos/movie1_06.wmv[/URL][/COLOR][/U][URL="http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/custom.htm"][/URL]
    Don't Follow Me...You Won't Make It

[URL="http://www.worldofoffroading.com"]www.worldofoffroading.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98
    I wish the Jeep Dealership kept me informed about "Jeep Happenings" Although when I got my Jeep, the sales guy did a pretty good job making sure I understood whole "wave" thing...I guess it must not only be a CJ,YJ,TJ thing, haha
    Keep thinking its not a CJ/YJ/TJ thing...I've been driving my lifted jeep for about 2-3 years now and have not once gotten a wave.

Even though I occasionally get random guys at stoplights that ask me if I go 4x4ing . Which we all know the answer is no, I just want people to think I go wheeling.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Thread Information