Thread: 318 Magnum kegger mod

Less posting, more wheeling!

Question 318 Magnum kegger mod

Anyone familiar enough with the early Magnum kegger mod (as seen here) as to do it themselves, successfully?

I've got a chance to pick up a factory NOS kegger on the cheap, and would be happy to contract anybody familiar with it, to do the mod. Thanks!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    What do you have with the keg manifold? Don't waste any time or effort on that big piece of shit under the hood. If your going to mess with the intake, buy the only intake for those trucks if your keeping fuel injection on it, the modified Edelbrock one from Hughes Engines. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=24773
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I don't really have time to do it, but I did a similar job on my dodge's intake and it didn't take that long to do. I didn't cut as much off the runners, but did a lot of blending to get rid of the casting flaws. Did quite a bit up around the top where the throttle body goes. Also ported the throttle body a bit, along with the stock air filter housing. There was a surprising amount of plastic corners you could work over to improve flow. When it all went back together there was a noticeable bump in throttle response and power above 3000 rpm.
    1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    what do you have with the keg manifold? Don't waste any time or effort on that big piece of shit under the hood. If your going to mess with the intake, buy the only intake for those trucks if your keeping fuel injection on it, the modified edelbrock one from hughes engines. http://www.hughesengines.com/index/p...=&partid=24773

NICE!!!

I'm still NEW to MOPAR, so I appreciate links like this! I'm still learning of all the possibilities, so this looks like a definite future purchase!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI

Keeping the stock Keg style, I wouldn't go any deeper than just gasket matching and blending ports, and below the throttle body, and even then I personally feel that's more effort than it's worth. To get real power out of the magnum dodge's you are going to have to spend money. More money than a chevy engine and not get as much for the money spent vs. the chevy. I'm saying X dollars on chevy = more power output than same X dollars on a magnum mopar. I'm redoing my Dad's old 96 Dodge pickup, looking for a flatbed and doing the body first. I imagine i'm going to have around 4k in the motor when it's all said and done to get the output i'm after. Mostly tied up in top end and a camshaft. The breathing is what needs addressed on the magnum motors in my opinion, the rest of their attributes aren't bad or in need of dire improvement in my experience.
    94 YJ MTO

A hotter PCM, a mild cam & lifters, and a double roller timing chain, were all in the works for next year anyways. Since the intake HAS to come off, looking at the Hughes unit, vis-a-vis a Kegger mod - and considering the intake will already BE off - it doesn't seem like an unreasonable outlay of money vs. effort. I don't plan on turning record quarter miles in the RC, but having some more "OOOoomph" to turn the big meats, short of a 426 swap , seems an obtainable pursuit. Between this, a cAi, Magnaflow true dual glasspacks, & some hotter spark, if I can get 'er close to 300hp, I'll be happy. DMG is taking care of my gear swap (to 4.56's) and tranny upgrade (Transpak), so I think we'll be able to apply that HP is useful & meaningful ways offroad, when all is said & done.

My previous offroad expertise was with my '79 Bronco, and all my previous car experiences were Ford/Mercury, so I'm still trying to learn the ins & outs of modern (my Bronco was carburated, with a B-W T-18 tranny and N-P205 case!) Dodge engines. Drivetrain isn't too tricky, and making more horses isn't TOO much different - it's the eccentricities... like... fuel injection, that are all new and unknown to me!

Ok, the Ramcharger is a 92, does it have the 318 magnum in it with the keg manifold? I thought those may have only started showing up in 93.
    94 YJ MTO

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    Ok, the Ramcharger is a 92, does it have the 318 magnum in it with the keg manifold? I thought those may have only started showing up in 93.
    Yep - the 318 went Magnum in '92. In '93, both the 318 & 360 were Magnums. The '93 RC was the only year for a RC in the US with the 360 Magnum, although they were produced in Mexico through 1997. If you own a RC, it PAYS to have a friend in El Paso with a passport!

Thread Information